News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

LittleBuford

The real kicker is that the salt dome they took inspiration from is 1500 feet below a slight incline.

Because of the 2-mile diameter, one could walk right over it without knowing what it was.

tabasco-rock-salt-deposit.jpg
You don’t have to convince me of the absurdity of their attempts at justifying the elevation. It’s something they shouldn’t have given a second thought.

yensidtlaw1969

I actually think that picture highlights it perfectly. While this is obviously stylized, the eye is drawn directly to the water tower. Compare that to the same picture on the original Splash, and your eye is drawn to the apex of the hill. There's only so much you can do with the physical hill, of course. So, it's going to look like a 50 foot drop. But, in this design, it's clear they are trying to at least share focus elsewhere if not divert focus elsewhere. In Walt's speak, the Weenie here is attempting to be the water tower (though I might say it's multiple competing weenies, personally). The original design made the hill the clear singular weenie.
This really isn't stylized - it's from the digital scale model of the new attraction. There may be minor differences between this and the finished product, but something like this should be taken much more as gospel than the average piece of concept art.

DavidDL

The idea of trying to use the size of real life Louisiana salt domes or the state's actual geography in an attempt to somehow discredit the upcoming attraction seems silly to me. If you're going to be using that logic on an attraction in the Magic Kingdom, then you also need to apply the same to Splash and be upset that real life animals don't sing, talk or dance.

That isn't to say it's impossible to upset ones suspension of disbelief when designing an attraction but I can't imagine what Disney has designed thus far for Tiana's will remove that many Guests from the moment. Maybe there will be a handful of folks who ride and say, "That was fun and all but you know what? Salt domes and Louisiana aren't like that" to their families and friends afterwards but I'd wager that's a "loss" Disney is willing to take here.

LittleBuford

The idea of trying to use the size of real life Louisiana salt domes or the state's actual geography in an attempt to somehow discredit the upcoming attraction seems silly to me. If you're going to be using that logic on an attraction in the Magic Kingdom, then you also need to apply the same to Splash and be upset that real life animals don't sing, talk or dance.
To be fair, the Imagineers opened the door to this sort of criticism by trying to justify the attraction's height in the first place. It should never have been an issue. As you say, who needs realism in the Magic Kingdom?

DavidDL

To be fair, the Imagineers opened the door to this sort of criticism by trying to justify the attraction's height in the first place. It should never have been an issue. As you say, who needs realism in the Magic Kingdom?

Fair enough. I had a similar issue with Star Tours 2.0 when the Imagineers claimed it was "Episode 3.5" then proceeded to drop a bunch of scenarios into it that couldn't have possibly happened during that time frame. If they'd of said nothing or tried to not claim any sort of "canon", I wouldn't have given what happens a second thought and it would've just been the "Star Wars ride" to me.

I wasn't aware the Imagineers had tried to "explain away" the attractions height, previously. You're right, it shouldn't have been an issue. Because it should have never been brought up in the first place given the park the attraction lives in.

Still, I think there'd be a handful of grumpy folks out there trying to discredit whatever they build by saying stuff like, "Bayous don't have waterfalls like that", etc. To those folks who would have taken issue regardless, my comments about also taking issue with talking, singing and dancing animals still stand.

LittleBuford

Still, I think there'd be a handful of grumpy folks out there trying to discredit whatever they build by saying stuff like, "Bayous don't have waterfalls like that", etc. To those folks who would have taken issue regardless, my comments about also taking issue with talking, singing and dancing animals still stand.
Oh, absolutely. Indeed, the salt-dome workaround was mockingly brought up in this forum before the Imagineers announced it as their "solution". I couldn't believe it!

Tha Realest

That isn't to say it's impossible to upset ones suspension of disbelief when designing an attraction but I can't imagine what Disney has designed thus far for Tiana's will remove that many Guests from the moment. Maybe there will be a handful of folks who ride and say, "That was fun and all but you know what? Salt domes and Louisiana aren't like that" to their families and friends afterwards but I'd wager that's a "loss" Disney is willing to take here.
Then why has Disney spent so much time and effort showcasing how this attraction and experience is authentic to the real places in Louisiana, such as the Avery mines? Those are actual places and things they’re basing this on. We didn’t choose them, they did. Are we supposed to ignore that?

Kirby86

Fair enough. I had a similar issue with Star Tours 2.0 when the Imagineers claimed it was "Episode 3.5" then proceeded to drop a bunch of scenarios into it that couldn't have possibly happened during that time frame. If they'd of said nothing or tried to not claim any sort of "canon", I wouldn't have given what happens a second thought and it would've just been the "Star Wars ride" to me.

I wasn't aware the Imagineers had tried to "explain away" the attractions height, previously. You're right, it shouldn't have been an issue. Because it should have never been brought up in the first place given the park the attraction lives in.

Yeah one of the Imagineers I think it was Carter herself mentioned in one of the field trip videos where they visited Avery Island because salt domes have elevation in the Louisiana. They were the ones who brought up the "there's no mountains" argument. I think most of us were thinking they would just call it Tiana's Splash Mountain or something similar before that.

This team building the ride seems to really like the word authenticity. So they felt that the mountain had to go. It was a solution to a problem that didn't exist.
As for authenticity it's a flume ride in the Magic Kingdom. One of the concept art shows a rabbit playing a license plate as a washboard.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
One thing this overhaul has going for is it's lighting package.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure as with Tron will likely have lopsided wait times with longer queue duration in the evening and night due to it's lighting package. Inversely and prior to the Splash Mountain's closure, wait times at night were generally at their lowest. One could ride Splash several times before park closing without issue. This overhaul will no doubt "correct that" for better or worse. Early days these will be good candidates for rope drop. Once the initial buzz dies down, I suspect shortest wait times will be midday unless Disney works it's Genie magic to even it out. All said though, seems like riding this and Tron during the day will be a somewhat diminished experience.

Looks like it will be incredible at night.

MagicHappens1971

Tiana's Bayou Adventure as with Tron will likely have lopsided wait times with longer queue duration in the evening and night due to it's lighting package. Inversely and prior to the Splash Mountain's closure, wait times at night were generally at their lowest. One could ride Splash several times before park closing without issue. This overhaul will no doubt "correct that" for better or worse. Early days these will be good candidates for rope drop. Once the initial buzz dies down, I suspect shortest wait times will be midday unless Disney works it's Genie magic to even it out. All said though, seems like riding this and Tron during the day will be a somewhat diminished experience.

VQ is and will combat those lopsided wait times you mentioned

FettFan

How many weenies does a park need? The talk I've heard is of a park's weenie, in the singular. Isn't the castle MK's weenie?

Ideally, every land has a weenie to draw the visitor deeper into it.

Magic Kingdom has the castle itself for the hub and Fantasyland, also Splash for Frontierland and Space for Tomorrowland.

At Epcot, every pavilion has its Weenie, from the Mexican pyramid to the Château Laurier in Canada. Same goes for Future World from Spaceship Earth to the Mission Space planets to the Imagination pyramids.

Hollywood studios has the Chinese theater and the Tower of Terror. (And loosely the Millennium Falcon, although I wouldnt really consider it a weenie except to hardcore nerds, because it feels like a blooming scavenger hunt to find. And even when you do, it’s surrounded by the standby line for MFSR so getting a decent pic in front of it without a bunch of queuers is it’s own challenge.)

(That’s right. I said it. Galaxy’s Edge is a crappy layout that was so up its own arsterisk about “immersion” that it ignored actual concerns over foot traffic. I’ll die on this hill. Disney screwed it up, but that’s par for the course with Star Wars these days)

And at Animal Kingdom, the weenies are the Tree of Life, Everest, and the Floating Mountains.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Shortest wait times midday? For a “get wet” flume ride? In central Florida?

That can’t be right.

FettFan

Shortest wait times midday? For a “get wet” flume ride? In central Florida?

That can’t be right.

Yeah. TBA will be a hit because of that alone, just like Kali River.

KRR is easily one of the lowest quality raft rides in any theme park across the US, but it’s consistently 30+ minute standby because it’s a cool water ride with a shady queue in Central Florida’s near-tropical climate.

Most were likely to hear from the average (non-purist) guest is “well that wasn’t as good as Splash; let’s get a Dole whip”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom