News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Trauma

The individual "personalities" for the animals do not play into the ride at all. They don't even talk, sing, or have any audio dialogue.
I’m also deeply saddened that I don’t get to learn more backstory about all the employees of the co-op.

I was losing sleep at night thinking about all the wonderful story lines and have been immensely disappointed.

LittleBuford

Splash fans have been utterly put through the wringer for the past four years. Why? Because they were upset at their favorite ride closing forever. There's been way more praise of Tiana from all sorts of places, including major news outlets and DISfluencers.
I am a Splash fan and have said so multiple times in this and other threads. No-one has ever put me through the wringer for it.

Being fans of Splash is not what earned the posters you’re referring to the criticism they received.

EeyoreFan#24

how long have the ride operators been running the ride? Is it possible they could be required to practice ride evacs. Using a day with only CMs would make sense to me.

Realistically something probably went wonky, but just a thought.

dreamfinding

I also find it weird how they used to hint at some Splash critters being recycled. I can get past that, but what's weirder is that there are no bird characters at all in the ride. Spoonbills, cranes, turtles, other gators... bayou animals that you'd expect to see in the ride (that were in the movie) are nowhere to be found.
It’s funny - the bears that are found in Louisiana are black bears. Maybe that’s why the scenes feel so empty is due to the lack of other bayou animals.

Also, whoever designed those magnolia trees needs to pay a visit to Louisiana/Mississippi.

pwnbeaver

Just watched the video. As someone who has and will defend the decision to retheme the ride, I will say that what they made is just meh. The finale scene is great but that level of detail, movement, and texture is noticeably missing from everything else. It is wild to me that we see nearly as many Mama Odie animatronics as we do Tiana, the planning and layout of this ride was a misfire. I think the aesthetics of the ride are far better than the original Splash though.

The same imagineering that can drop three bangers on the same day in Tokyo could only do this with the Splash layout and building? The new Frozen ride is one of the best dark rides ever made and the layered detail in Rapunzel is the kind of stuff that was needed here.

The reaction on this board is ridiculous though. The vast majority of people who go on this ride will like it, will remember the drop and the last scene, and then will go buy some beignets. This will be a hit with the general public. I wish it wouldn't be, but the standards of the average park goer are not those of us who dedicate thousands of hours to theme park appreciation.

In fact, the layout and pacing of the ride makes it seem like an ad to go to a restaurant and buy beignets. Not having the restaurant open with the ride is a huge misfire, business wise.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Well, I re-watched the video today and I gotta say I agree with a lot of the people here. Honestly I'm just sad, I completely understand why Splash is gone but there were so many things they could have done to make up for it and this is just not it. Hopefully if the backlash is bad enough and people really don't like it they can fix it. The only thing this version does better than Splash is the begining around what used to be the briar patch. The limited motion figures are very noticeable. I just hope they fix it. I hope there are lessons learned but if the average guest is fine nothing will be changed.

Cliff

I’m also deeply saddened that I don’t get to learn more backstory about all the employees of the co-op.

I was losing sleep at night thinking about all the wonderful story lines and have been immensely disappointed.
I thought it was funny that it's "Tiana's Foods" and the says "Employee Owned" on the same sign. It's her company...oh no it's not...it's the employee's company.

We are searching for a missing spice....no!! were searching for a musician for the band in the awamp...no..no!.. we found our spice!...the missing spice was in YOU all along!

OMG...you get the feeling that was ALL half baked by creatives that had no clue how to build a story or attraction. And NOBODY in Burbank was able to notice how bad this was.

Disney is shocked that most dont like it and they think that we are all just "bad people" if we dont.

Surferboy567

The ride is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.

It’s just truly not as good as it should be.
This, it’s not bad and no it doesn’t “suck”. It is just not splash mountain and that’s a problem because that’s what it will be endlessly compared to and rightly so.

Tiana’s is just not Splash Mountain from what I have seen Splash just looks better. Obviously can’t pass judgement till I’ve seen it myself but that’s how it comes across on video.

LittleBuford

As I watched the side by side POV of old Splash Mountain and the new Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, I kept thinking about the degraded masterpiece from the 1500’s that was “fixed” by a modern day artist.
View attachment 788958
It was painted in around 1930 (interestingly the same time period as Tiana!) and was far from a masterpiece. We’ve ended up with a more interesting and idiosyncratic painting because of its “restoration”. Alas, the same can’t be said of the retheme of Splash.

Ice Gator

It’s funny - the bears that are found in Louisiana are black bears. Maybe that’s why the scenes feel so empty is due to the lack of other bayou animals.

Also, whoever designed those magnolia trees needs to pay a visit to Louisiana/Mississippi.
Are you insinuating the bears ate everyone else? Lol

I’m surprised they didn’t even keep the possums hanging from the ceiling in certain parts considering there’s a possum playing in the band at the end. There could have been so much more going on.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This, it’s not bad and no it doesn’t “suck”. It is just not splash mountain and that’s a problem because that’s what it will be endlessly compared to and rightly so.

Tiana’s is just not Splash Mountain from what I have seen just looks better. Obviously can’t pass judgement till I’ve seen it myself but that’s how it comes across on video.
If you’re replacing a ride seen as the pinnacle of Disney imagineering with something that is “good but not as good as it should be,” you really screwed up.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I know this is wading into controversial territory, but...

I agree that this could have worked a lot better if they had of basically listened to Tony Baxter's description of how the plot of the original Splash worked to build up and relieve tension and then designed a PatF story with the same story beats. One of the reasons I think they did not do this is because they wanted this to be a much lighter attraction specifically to appeal to PatF's younger fans.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I really feel that the big drop was more an obstacle or challenge for the designers of this ride rather than a feature because there is no way you would design a PatF-themed attraction from scratch that had such a big thrill element with the potential to scare younger children.
I’ve never bought the argument that Tiana is more appealing to young riders than the cute animals of Splash were. The flume is no less well suited to one theme than the other. I agree with the rest of your post, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom