News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Brian

You won’t be once you interact with people who’re riding it in person at the parks. It will be beloved by those out in the world, and constantly hated here because it’s a specific niche of people who’re predisposed to being overly critical of everything this company does because they’ve decided they know better seen better.
FTFY

That's what this is all about. We all know what Disney is capable of because we've seen it for many, many years. The current generation of children being brought up on this bland, charmless experience don't know what they're missing, but we certainly do.

LittleBuford

You won’t be once you interact with people who’re riding it in person at the parks. It will be beloved by those out in the world, and constantly hated here because it’s a specific niche of people who’re predisposed to being overly critical of everything this company does because they’ve decided they know better.
I don’t think it’s fair or helpful to dismiss all criticism in this way, just as I feel it’s wrong to call those who like what they’ve seen Disney shills. People are allowed to have different responses and inevitably will.

I agree that most guests will probably enjoy the ride a lot. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it too. I just don’t think it lives up to what it’s replaced.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
One last set of side by sides before I head to work
Untitled800_20240601173129.png
Untitled800_20240601173034.png
Untitled800_20240601173207.png

Mr. Sullivan

I mean, it does show that even 'casual fans' don't like this. There's been a sentiment on here that critics of this will never be placated, but the 'casual park goer' will love it (as if people aren't able to be critics without spending time on a parks forum).

120,000 views and counting, and a 50/50 like ratio is hardly a home run.
It really doesn’t show that. I’m glad you think so positively of the online community and haven’t gotten into the weeds of hate brigading on sites like YouTube, Rotten Tomatoes, etc. But the likes and dislikes on videos like this, movie trailers, music videos, etc are not and never will be an accurate reflection of how people feel positive or negative. They visit these sites with an agenda be it a good or bad one.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
It’s a tried and true tactic in PR. Get out ahead of the bad news.

Completely true. At first I was totally baffled why they would release a complete POV spoiler video of the ride so far in advance. Don't they want guests to experience it for the first time for real instead of watching a video? Why should I book an expensive trip to the MK to see something they gave away for free on YouTube? What thrill, joy or surprise is waiting for anyone who sees the video ahead of time?

The best part of Splash (for me at least) is it looked more-or-less like a run-of-the-mill flume ride from the outside. Kind of similar to Big Thunder next door.

But actually riding it for the first time and realizing it was a full-on dark ride was mind-blowing. Classic WDW: set up expectations and then exceed them in every way possible.

But I think you've hit the nail on the head. They are so scared of the reaction they're going to get when the ride opens that they released the video to try to let that negativity play out beforehand. If true, that decision alone speaks volumes about how worried they are about missing the mark.
Absolutely. Put it out early and let all the noise be made and hope that when it releases to the general admission guests no one remembers it. Sort of like the hail marry of PR trying to salvage whatever they can. Next step will be to start attacking the fans…

They released Indy 5 very early to critics and it got annihilated. By the time it opened everyone was numb to it, not that it didn’t bomb spectacularly.

SuddenStorm

Can someone help me understand the 'missing ingredient' component of the plot?

As far as I can tell, it's Tiana assembling musicians for a party, and we're invited to attend the party. But then it turns out we're the special ingredient for the party? Not the musicians?

It feels like the storyline was initially "Tiana has a party planned, but something's not quite right. Let's help her find the missing ingredient!" but that was tough to execute so it became "We're assembling musicians" and the memo wasn't passed on to the songwriter, so the song about us being the special ingredient remained, along with Mama Odie discussing it before the final drop?

LittleBuford

Yeah I was saddened when I read your thoughts on the ride.

I knew you would give it a fair shot without any bias, to see it fell short for you is a canary in a coal mine for me.
That’s kind of you to say, but I would never claim to be unbiased. I was a huge Splash fan, so that was always going to be factor in how I assessed its successor.

Tha Realest

Can someone help me understand the 'missing ingredient' component of the plot?

As far as I can tell, it's Tiana assembling musicians for a party, and we're invited to attend the party. But then it turns out we're the special ingredient for the party? Not the musicians?

It feels like the storyline was initially "Tiana has a party planned, but something's not quite right. Let's help her find the missing ingredient!" but that was tough to execute so it became "We're assembling musicians" and the memo wasn't passed on to the songwriter, so the song about us being the special ingredient remained, along with Mama Odie discussing it before the final drop?
Why do they need to assemble the musicians? They’re always together! This isn’t the second act of The Blues Brothers.

HonorableMention

I think some of the ride’s plot criticisms could have been alleviated by a sense of urgency.

Have Tiana and Naveen in the mill house discussing plans: “The band cancelled last minute! We can’t have a party without music!”

Have us find out right before the lift hill that the party is starting and we’re going to be late, but Mama Odie can make us big again and send us down a shortcut. It still makes the ride happy and fun but adds some non-threatening tension.

LittleBuford

I think some of the ride’s plot criticisms could have been alleviated by a sense of urgency.

Have Tiana and Naveen in the mill house discussing plans: “The band cancelled last minute! We can’t have a party without music!”

Have us find out right before the lift hill that the party is starting and we’re going to be late, but Mama Odie can make us big again and send us down a shortcut. It still makes the ride happy and fun but adds some non-threatening tension.
These would have been simple and effective fixes.

LittleBuford

Between this getting horrendous reception, and the Jenny Nicholson video.

And Disney's reputation the last few years, they really need to do something new…
I really doubt its reception among guests will be horrendous. If this forum were an accurate metric of wider public opinion, Frozen Ever After would be a walk-on. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure will be a very popular ride, regardless of how people here feel about it.

aladdin2007

I really doubt its reception among guests will be horrendous. If this forum were an accurate metric of wider public opinion, Frozen Ever After would be a walk-on. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure will be a very popular ride, regardless of how people here feel about it.
for awhile because its new, but if the word spreads negatively....lines may not be as bad at some point. but with genie and all how that mess works, it probably will always be long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom