News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Casper Gutman

I want to be clear that my criticisms of this attraction shouldn’t be taken as an endorsement of the larger argument some here are making about today’s Imagineers. Rise of the Resistance and Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway are, to my mind, very strong attractions indeed.

The talent and creativity are there, even if this latest offering falls a bit short.
MMRR and Mission:Breakout are very good, Mystic Manor is a masterpiece, and RotR is pretty good. But most of the rides Imagineering has produced for over a decade are not good. Much more tellingly, they’re not good IN SIMILAR WAYS. We can identify the awful habits and trends and ways of thinking. It’s much easier and more enjoyable to blame management, and they bare a lot of blame. But there is more then enough evidence at this point to demonstrate that there is something fundamentally broken about the way Imagineering thinks about its job.

LittleBuford

MMRR and Mission:Breakout are very good, Mystic Manor is a masterpiece, and RotR is pretty good. But most of the rides Imagineering has produced for over a decade are not good. Much more tellingly, they’re not good IN SIMILAR WAYS. We can identify the awful habits and trends and ways of thinking. It’s much easier and more enjoyable to blame management, and they bare a lot of blame. But there is more then enough evidence at this point to demonstrate that there is something fundamentally broken about the way Imagineering thinks about its job.
What I’ve noticed is a curious and sometimes baffling inconsistency in the quality of the Imagineers’ output. It seems to me what’s missing is strong creative oversight and guidance.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Runaway railroad is very rudimentary…you feel like you’re on a gym floor the whole time

I like it fine for what its is…which is not a headliner

I like both guardians rides alot. Even the unholy tower.

The Star Wars rides….well…
I appreciate the tech and ambition. I don’t think they’ll age well…at all. A big part of that is not on WDI. Because the source material is as bad as you could have picked. That taints some of the achievement

But also….the choice in systems. The use of trackless in US parks is very underwhelming. Way too tame for what you need in Star Wars…which has always been in adrenaline. Couple that with star tours and you might be better off with George’s Ewok coaster? I dunno…

Couple that with - again - too tame on falcon. FOP “lte” because they’re more worried about who wouldn’t be on the ride than the drives of those that craved it.

But hey…one miscalculation after another…nothing new in the galaxy.

Back to the broccoli mountain. I barely missed trying this thing…now I’m glad I did.

Splash was the pinnacle of WDI…song, story, fun and enough excitement. You could never have asked for more.

Did they take it out to put a bad ride in? I don’t want to think it…so I’m not gonna. Good day.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Okay here’s a question for those who watched: I know they were planning to keep those fountains that jump over you in Splash. Did they at least fix those? I’m digging a little deeper for some positivity…
They did. Thankfully. That's like...the one thing I'm happy about. And the coloured lights they added in the water within that section. So at least we have that. I guess.

MadderAdder

I wish this had been way more simplified. I like that one idea about having a band missing for the party. So we’re going down the Bayou to gather musicians and now we’re late to the party so Mama Odie sends us on a short cut. Even Louis trying to find his missing trumpet is cuter/more coherent…

Professortango1

I'd say that MMRR is cute as a big D-Ticket. Mission BO is a disappointment and is a 5/10 for me. Rise is a fun experience, but the ride itself is an 7-8/10, depending on how much isn't working. Splash was a 9/10 for me when it was working. Tiana's is about a 6 from what I see.

Mr. Sullivan

I don’t think it’s fair or helpful to dismiss all criticism in this way, just as I feel it’s wrong to call those who like what they’ve seen Disney shills. People are allowed to have different responses and inevitably will.

I agree that most guests will probably enjoy the ride a lot. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it too. I just don’t think it lives up to what it’s replaced.
I agree with you normally, but honestly at this point this is a huge release of frustration.

It isn't aimed at everyone criticizing the attraction because not everyone has been this way and there are things worth criticizing.

But ever since this got underway, there have been a segment of people on this forum, on Twitter, on Reddit, and beyond who seemingly made it their life's mission to make this whole process as absolutely miserable for everyone as humanly possible. They were unhappy so they worked long and hard to make sure everyone else was unhappy too.

Every step of the way, it was picking apart one thing or another to the point that it was inevitable that they were going to hate the final product, even if it was the greatest attraction Disney had ever done. Every time someone said they liked something, they were forced to justify it because some found it so unimaginable that someone could like it that they simply couldn't just let people be happy and had to demand the reasons why they could possibly enjoy what they were seeing.

It has never been popular to be excited for this ride, just as it won't be popular in Disney fan spaces for anyone to enjoy it. It's all been one giant echo chamber of hating it while everyone who doesn't had to sit there and defend it. And that's just so....insane for a theme park ride. It's a ride. A ride. And it's been treated like some gigantic sin that represents the moral decay of everything to do with the parks.

To everyone who's not felt super excited along the way but tried their best to engage in good faith with it and found themselves still disappointed in it, that is so, so, so valid. I've felt the same way in regards to some attractions. This frustration is not at all aimed at them.

It's at the people who've spent the last year being completely, unashamedly negative about every little thing and can't even spare one even semi-positive remark because apparently that'd just be too much. I hope when some time has passed from opening, those people can look back on their behavior through all this and realize just how ridiculous it all has been and hopefully never devote that much time and energy to being this way over a theme park ride again.

Sorry for the essay, sorry if this is aggressive, I don't mean for it to be. This is just the culmination of so much annoyance and frustration that has absolutely ruined this whole process, my first time really getting to follow a ride's development from beginning to end, something that ought to've been joyous and exciting for a Disney nerd to get to do. Thank God I'm still looking forward to riding the ride, but lord I'm almost to the point of joining these people in wishing it didn't exist if only it means all this insane immature noise stops.

Casper Gutman

It’s not just tension. Setting the physical ride experience aside, what is entertaining here about the narrative and visuals? There is no humor, no wit, no risk, no excitement, no charm, no whimsy, and very, very little visual variety (that last bit is the single most important element in a dark ride). It’s pretty, but it’s all pretty in the same way and in a way we’ve seen before over in River Adventure.

The only real entertainment is “remember this?” It conjures up very basic connections to visual elements of the IP devoid of anything significant -emotion, tone, etc. Even in this way the connection is limited, since only Tiana, Louis, and the music function as reminders of the film - Facilier, Naveen, Ray, etc are absent. The ride functions like the very worst of reboot cinema, films like Frozen Empire or Independence Day 2, which simply repeat beats of the original with no grasp of WHY they originally worked.

While Vastly more technologically advanced, it’s a less entertaining attraction then Six Flag’s Monster Mansion.

Again… where’s the entertainment? There’s no there there.

Cliff

For all of those demanding a story,...you dont need it! We got some diversity and some great animatronics. Yes, I miss the villan too but that doctor, I'm told, promotes negative stereotypes in 2024 and is not DEI friendly right now.

Most average park guests dont have the high standards that many on this forum have. These people just want to see the "robots" and see some representation and clap their hands as they sing along.

This ride checks all the boxes for 99% of "normie" fans that don't think about attractions very hard.

This ride will be great for most people.

Tha Realest

Not sure this is a fair metric when we all know this would be the same even if they showed us the single greatest ride history had ever seen because swaths of people who would be watching this decided that they were going to attack this no matter what before Splash was even mercifully put to rest.
What about bookings? Is that a fair metric? By many accounts this is was pushed to open in summer so they had something to entice bookings this summer and fall.

Has the website crashed today?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom