News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Scamp08

Disney has released a full Tiana’s Bayou Adventure POV video:

The ride is too happy there's no stakes, the new AA figures are good but they could of reused some of the old AA from Splash to fill out the empty space in the scenes. If they changed the story to include Dr Facilier returning from underworld, the ride would be more exciting.

Splash mountain was happy too but it also had darker scenes to balance it out, it was designed to be a 'thrill ride'.

Last edited:

mightynine

I never really realized just how central that small amount of conflict and tension was to building up to the big drop, as others as mentioned. I wonder if it feels different on the ride compared to watching it here, but it's just like, "Oh, here's the quick route to the party!" The original ending felt like a release, this just feels like an...arrival? Or worse, Just Another Scene.

Also - and again, I agree with those who feel like this could be due to the video's edits - but it sure feels less lively at points compared to Splash.

Last edited:

Trauma

I am 100% behind the decision to move away from any major attraction being based on Song of the South, and The Princess and the Frog could have made a great ride, but this ain’t it.

The story is so boring, it’s like we’re just following Tiana on a random day in her life. Whenever I hear an attraction is “set x months after the events” of the story/songs we know and love, it always makes me worry.
By the time you get to the laughing place you are so bored you are no longer paying attention.

You will miss the fact that you have been shrunk down.

Suddenly you have this giant screened based Tiana head staring at you.

It will be the scariest part of the ride for many, and at least wake people up before they get to the drop.

Brer Panther

...yep, it's about what I expected. I was starting to think maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but nope. All my expectations were met.

All of Splash Mountain's animatronics removed (you couldn't keep the Swamp Boys, at least?). Animatronics (aside from the ones of the main characters) on par with the ones from the Little Mermaid ride (though at least these animatronics don't look so plastic-y). Long stretches where animatronics once sat now just empty. A weak plot. No tension whatsoever. Ugly CGI animation on screens. So, not only did we lose Splash Mountain, we also lost the chance for a Princess and the Frog attraction that's actually, y'know, good. Huzzah.

I'm still amused that Naveen is a non-entity. I thought they got Bruno Campos back, but I didn't hear Naveen say anything. The new characters, who got so much focus in the promotional material, don't even SPEAK. They're basically non-entities. And I still think the part where we get shrunken down is stupid.

Oh, and in regards to the new song? It's not bad, I don't dislike it, but it's no "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah".

This was not worth the constant bickering, feuding, and discord that ensued from the second this retheme was announced. But hey, at least it's better than the Ratatouille ride.

Vclguy90

Disney has released a full Tiana’s Bayou Adventure POV video:

Disappointed No Way GIF by Holly Logan

davis_unoxx

They won't want this because the movie flopped in Japan, and they've pretty much refused to deal with it since then. But then again, it doesn't mean they wouldn't necessarily do something else foolish with the ride. They're doing a temporary Marvel Avengers overlay for their Small World...

That said, they still have no incentive to change their Splash. It's an very popular ride, pushes a good amount of merch and has a connecting eatery that gets good business as far as I know. This ticks all the boxes to just leave it alone. And they don't care about what Americans think of the source material either, which was the only reason why ours was changed to begin with.

The tree trunks are mostly intact from Splash, just repainted and given new foliage. But a lot of the setpieces were indeed ripped out. Such as all of the critter homes.
Yes exactly!

I need to get to Tokyo to get back on my favorite ride.

mightynine

Something else: as someone who has grown up in the New Orleans area and still lives in Louisiana, after all the PR about research of the city, area, etc. - where the heck are the results of that in this ride? Maybe it's in the queue, but having some swinging plants with an "Okra" sign in front of it ain't really it.

TheMaxRebo

Overall I think it looks great - a fun ride with a simple story, some amazing looking animatronics and a excellent music, overall

Is it perfect? No, I like the idea of what they were going for with the Laughing Place area but execution could be better.

Do some of the critters have simple movement? Sure. Guess what else did? The majority if critters in Splash. Way more total movement in this version.

The Save Splash folks won't be happy but nothing would - the average guest is going to see this as a major upgrade

PK2

I will say, the most representative moment of this whole video is the section at 4:17 where you're going down a straight with Tiana at the end, and she just sits there staring blankly until you get close to her, where she then starts talking to you. It's SO awkward. They could've given her something to do other than waiting for you but nahhhhhhh

Incomudro

Even Disney had to cut to the AA scenes because there's a bunch of nothingness in between. Was really hoping for more but figured it'd be like this. Having only watched the video.... I was bored. Cringey repetitive dialogue and lack of animated filler figures. Enjoyed the music, light effects and most of the projected scenes though. Maybe in person it's better? Oh well. A for effort but it's no Splash.
It's very much what I thought it would be.
Very attractive, better AA's and tech, good songs.
It doesn't make me smile much though.
Splash really did that.
This is nice, newer... But all the gesticulating Tiana's telling us what to do...
I don't know.
It's no classic.

the_rich

Overall I think it looks great - a fun ride with a simple story, some amazing looking animatronics and a excellent music, overall

Is it perfect? No, I like the idea of what they were going for with the Laughing Place area but execution could be better.

Do some of the critters have simple movement? Sure. Guess what else did? The majority if critters in Splash. Way more total movement in this version.

The Save Splash folks won't be happy but nothing would - the average guest is going to see this as a major upgrade
The last part of your post is completely accurate imo. Nothing would make them happy. I've shown this video to multiple people already and they all thought it was an upgrade. Of course that is very anecdotal, but I think will turn out that way with the majority of guests.

pigglewiggle

The last part of your post is completely accurate imo. Nothing would make them happy. I've shown this video to multiple people already and they all thought it was an upgrade. Of course that is very anecdotal, but I think will turn out that way with the majority of guests.

Three people have already sent me the video saying this looks great! Yes, they are your average Disney fans, not the level you see on a lot of social media. Again, I think this ride is going to please a lot of people.

MerlinTheGoat

There were approximately 55 genuine animatronics in WDW's Splash Mountain (not simple moving props, of which were were also a number of). There are 14 genuine animatronics in Tiana's Bayou Adventure. The finale scene alone had more legitimate AA's than the entirety of Tiana contains.

invader

I will say, the most representative moment of this whole video is the section at 4:17 where you're going down a straight with Tiana at the end, and she just sits there staring blankly until you get close to her, where she then starts talking to you. It's SO awkward. They could've given her something to do other than waiting for you but nahhhhhhh

There’s a jump at the sawmill for probably the same purpose. Watch from 0:39

shambolicdefending

When they built the original, they took a standard log flume ride and turned it into something riveting and generationally iconic.

It appears they've now turned an icon back into just a really expensively themed log flume ride.

It's fine. Log flume rides are fun. Expensive themeing is pleasant. But it's not as good as what it was. It's not iconic anymore. That's disappointing (though not particularly surprising).

Incomudro

Apart from finding some of the animatronics (Louis, the frog band, Mama Odie) impressive, I felt nothing watching this. I know they're going for a different vibe than Splash, but at the very least they could've had Dr. Facilier serve as the lift hill because that'd be cool as hell.
Felt nothing.
That's what I got, and that's what counts the most to me.
How do I feel on a ride, and exiting a ride?
All of my favorites, work in the feel department.
This is very attractive, but the only thing that hit me in the feelings department was the music which is quite enjoyable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom