News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Brer Panther

What exactly is this supposed to be?

View attachment 788396
I initially thought this was one of the "Brer Rabbit in the hayloft" signs without Brer Rabbit, but I'm probably wrong.
She's already waiting for her next assignment around a classic WDW ride that she can re-theme into something... else.
Maybe she'll work on the Moana ride they're adding to Adventureland.
and they could have at least brought Naveen to the forefront and not hidden off to the side..he is barely noticeable and if that is all there is of him, its a big mistake.
It really does feel like Naveen is a non-entity in this attraction, doesn't it? What, girls of color deserve representation but guys of color don't?
Baxter, Davis, and older imagineers focused on characters having expressive faces and simplicity of movement for filler characters. The enthusiasm of the gospel chickens on the paddleboat would always make me laugh. The scene felt epic. The new scene looks busy, but not epic. The characters move more, but are less expressive. Instead of riding through a musical finale, we are riding past a jumping party with our friends singing and waving to us.
There's a sense of humor in setting scenes that Disney used to do so well.
Both very good points. There are no funny gags, the kind Marc Davis was so good at, in something like Rise of the Resistance or Mickey's Runaway Railway.

Professortango1

(Insert eye roll)
You can roll your eyes, but are girls heading to Bibbidy Bobbidy Bootique more likely to seek out the "princess dress" or a Pith Helmet? My experience with young kids, they are going to be drawn to the frilly pretty thing. Iconography is important in fictional characters. Its why we see Indy in his fedora and leather jacket instead of him in a Tux or a T-shirt.

Disney Analyst

You can roll your eyes, but are girls heading to Bibbidy Bobbidy Bootique more likely to seek out the "princess dress" or a Pith Helmet? My experience with young kids, they are going to be drawn to the frilly pretty thing.

Best news is… they can still do that, and then see Tiana in the parks in her gown, and then go and ride Tiana’s ride and have the best time ever!!

Oh my god, the kids are winning!

Professortango1

Best news is… they can still do that, and then see Tiana in the parks in her gown, and then go and ride Tiana’s ride and have the best time ever!!

I never argued that kids wouldn't have a good time. You were the one saying that Tiana can wear whatever because the outfit doesn't dictate her character. And I argued that her Princess status in the eyes of children is tied to the iconography the film established.
I’m sure little girls will cope just fine seeing Tiana in a different sparkly dress from the one she got married in.
I don't think anyone said they wouldn't be able to. Nobody said girls are going to break into tears or look around wondering where Tiana is. No need to Strawman the argument.

LittleBuford

I don't think anyone said they wouldn't be able to. Nobody said girls are going to break into tears or look around wondering where Tiana is. No need to Strawman the argument.
Then what is the argument exactly? Because it seemed to me you were suggesting that Tiana’s alternative outfits—which, to be clear, will include a pretty dress in the finale—would leave little girls disappointed. And that’s the very point I was responding to (admittedly with some jocular hyperbole).

Professortango1

I've never complained about book report style rides.
I have. lol But I do so because I think films and theme park attractions are two different artistic mediums and trying to force a theme park attraction to deliver a narrative experience similar to a film has proven to be unsuccessful. I find theme park attractions that focus on an emotional aspect of the material and exploring plot more abstractly to be more compelling.

I suppose we should change "book report ride" to "narrative driven ride" and it might better exemplify the issues folk often take with them.

Disney Analyst

Then what is the argument exactly? Because it seemed to me you were suggesting that Tiana’s alternative outfits—which, to be clear, will include a pretty dress in the finale—would leave little girls disappointed. And that’s the very point I was responding to (admittedly with some jocular hyperbole).

I concur with your question. I only engaged as the claim seemed to be that the lack of her princess gown from the movie seemingly meant no one would know she is a princess, or results in some sort of failing of the ride.

My only point was that a princess is far more than an outfit, which can easily be explained to a child if they ask their parents.

Professortango1

Someone else was making the argument that Tiana not being seen in either iconic dress in the finale was a miss for the Princess angle. Another poster then said her outfit doesn't matter as she's still a princess in the world of the character, no matter what she wears. I was simply responding to that point that her princess allure is tied to iconography rather than any aspect of her character. She's not living in a castle or acting "like a princess" in a fantasy aspect. It is the dresses she wears when mistaken for a princess and at the end when she becomes a princess that cement her as a princess in the eyes of many consumers.

I don't think her dress is SUPER important. But I was in disagreement that it isn't important at all, and that's why I responded as I feel, based off the information provided, her dress does hold some importantance in how the character is viewed and remembered by consumers.

Disney Analyst

Someone else was making the argument that Tiana not being seen in either iconic dress in the finale was a miss for the Princess angle. Another poster then said her outfit doesn't matter as she's still a princess in the world of the character, no matter what she wears. I was simply responding to that point that her princess allure is tied to iconography rather than any aspect of her character. She's not living in a castle or acting "like a princess" in a fantasy aspect. It is the dresses she wears when mistaken for a princess and at the end when she becomes a princess that cement her as a princess in the eyes of many consumers.

I don't think her dress is SUPER important. But I was in disagreement that it isn't important at all, and that's why I responded as I feel, based off the information provided, her dress does hold some importantance in how the character is viewed and remembered by consumers.

Thank you for clarifying your position, I don't fully agree with the potential assessment, but I can understand why you have gotten to it.

Sir_Cliff

For now. Disney has people prowling the parks to monitor when children seem most happy so they can swoop in and replace their fun with more stroller parking.

The Little Mermaid Reaction GIF

Bayou

The TBA sign looks far too modern and clashes with whatever time period/aesthetic the ride is going for.
It is supposed to be "outside" of the world of the ride. It is supposed to stand out. I wish it was more realistic tho. Like real-looking flowers and vines forming the sign and text like Tinker bell's busy buggies in Fantasy Springs.

BrianLo

I feel old
View attachment 788383
Hope I don’t break my back in the bayou. Maybe they can replace CB(M)J with an Urgent Care if it fails.

I now know how all the Gen X-ers felt when we started rolling into these forums (or equivalents) as teenagers. Our time has come and past. 🥲

Like you I'm coming up on 25 years of forums, ugh.

Last edited:

Bayou

LOL, I'm not saying it needs to look OLD. It just needs to look like a shiny new attraction sign would have in the 1920s, and the motifs, fonts, and colors they've used ain't it, although they'd make a lovely decoration for Party City to sell for $19.99 in its Mardi Gras section.

This is Old Fart Deco instead of Art Deco.
But it's not technically in the world of the ride. Tiana or humans living in 1920 had any part making the sign.

LittleBuford

Thank you for explaining. Most of the Disney princesses don’t dress or act in a normatively princess-like manner for much of their respective films, so I don’t think their appeal (whether to little girls or others) lies fundamentally in that aspect of their characters, though I acknowledge that Disney merchandise tends to focus on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom