News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

mickEblu

All Animatronics, you can see the members of the different bands Located around the house front. The 4 frogs are hard to make out but they are there

That’s weird and must speak to the business of the scene. No scenario where you show me a ride through of Splash and I came out thinking there was only 4 (critter) AA’s. On the bright side the scene doesn’t feel dead but I’m not sure I’m loving the execution from what I’ve seen so far.

rtmachine

This may be the YouTube link for Special Spice (Music from "Tiana's Bayou Adventure") that should populate when it is released.

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group Special Spice (Music from "Tiana's Bayou Adventure") · Anika Noni Rose Special Spice ℗ 2024 Walt Disney Records Released on: 2024-05-31 Producer, Associated Performer, Recording Arranger: PJ Morton Producer: Brandon N. Caddell Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer, Mixer: Reginald Nicholas Jr. Studio Personnel, Mixer: Gregory Morgan Studio Personnel, Asst. Recording Engineer: Trevor "Afro" Jackson Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Daniel Rowland Composer Lyricist: PJ Morton Auto-generated by YouTube.

View attachment 788490
Not at all sure if this might delay any YouTube videos of the whole ride , kinda like when this happened with Luminous a month or so back because of copyright stuff with YouTube.

Incomudro

I mean, all art does have rules. The rules can be broken for artistic reasons, but the rules of that artform still exist.

People can like things which are lazy or poor execution. I know I love many guilty pleasure movies that aren't well crafted. The movies are objectively bad and break important rules of filmmaking. But I can still enjoy them.

I do agree that this feels like if they had taken Pirates and only kept the hero characters, had them singing to the boats in spotlights, and had the rest of the set be dark with some light set dressing. Just Depp saying "Ahoy mateys, good to see you again. Look at these poor blokes stuck in a jail cell."

Another downside I'm seeing is the scale. Splash isn't as massive as Pirates or HM in terms of scenes, but focusing on smaller characters allowed the sets to seem larger and more immersive. These figures are beautiful, but so much larger than they often feel like they are crowding scenes and making the environment seem more cramped.
Very well put.
And I'm finding myself defending story when that's not really the heart of what I'm getting at.
I'm more concerned with individual scenes.
Look at the elephant pool scene in Jungle Cruise, the Gorilla's Jeep scene or the totem pole scene - complete with hyena's laughing.
Look at the ballroom scene in Haunted Mansion.
Each scene even works in a still image.
Disney of 'yore really knew how to make each shot in the storyboard if you will - work on its own merit.
We don't get that now.

mickEblu

Very well put.
And I'm finding myself defending story when that's not really the heart of what I'm getting at.
I'm more concerned with individual scenes.
Look at the elephant pool scene in Jungle Cruise, the Gorilla's Jeep scene or the totem pole scene - complete with hyena's laughing.
Look at the ballroom scene in Haunted Mansion.
Each scene even works in a still image.
Disney of 'yore really knew how to make each shot in the storyboard if you will - work on its own merit.
We don't get that now.

That’s because the old WED guys came from animation and then passed down their knowledge to the next generation and so forth. I think what we’re seeing now is current imagineers overly concerned with or relying on tech as well as the fact that at some point the knowledge just wasn’t passed down. Or perhaps the knowledge was not respected or absorbed.

Incomudro

Has anyone said that, though? I think it's more people saying they're not going to declare this a dud compared to Splash based on a few clips and the ride apparently having a different narrative approach before seeing more.
I myself am not declaring it a dud.
And I don't believe it is a dud.
At the very least, it's going to be a very attractive ride with impressive AA's, sets, lighting and tech., in a great log flume.
It's just that what I see in the scene by scene comparisons really sticks out.
That lack of humor and whimsy, as I noted.

Incomudro

That’s because the old WED guys came from animation and then passed down their knowledge to the next generation and so forth. I think what we’re seeing now is current imagineers overly concerned with or relying on tech as well as the fact that at some point the knowledge just wasn’t passed down. Or perhaps the knowledge was not respected or absorbed.
Exactly.

James Alucobond

OK, if we’ve gotten to the point where we’re pretending the storytelling in Pirates is equivalent to Frozen Ever After or it’s ilk, the desire to defend Disney has pushed us so far into relativism that discussion becomes meaningless.
They’re fundamentally different animals. One is concerned with creating detailed, atmospheric, explorable vignettes while the other is attempting to recreate a series of snippets from what is essentially a musical stage production. I personally think the former is better because it just feels more appropriate within the constraints of the medium (easier to loop, more things to discover with each re-ride, allows for more character density, etc.), but it’s not necessarily a straightforward question of quality. There are quality examples within both schools, I think.

Incomudro

There is no such thing as objectivity in art and entertainment. It isn't possible to be anything other than subjective in these mediums.
No, there really IS objectivity.
JAWS vs JAWS IV.
ET vs Mac and Me
Everything in arts and entertainment are not the same 'cept in the eyes and ears of the beholder.
Ever see the "Fruit, fruit, _ _ _ _, _ _ _ _" scene in Black Sails?

Last edited:

Professortango1

There is no such thing as objectivity in art and entertainment. It isn't possible to be anything other than subjective in these mediums.
I think a general consensus by professionals is enough of an objective truth of a piece of art. We can always disagree, but when 90% of professional critics are saying a film is bad for a variety of cited reasons, it is likely that the film is bad. We can still enjoy it despite those flaws or have a different perspective unique to our own, but I would still call the film a flawed movie objectively.

Professortango1

She’s a princess through the entire ride. An outfit does not a princess make.
Tell that to a little girl who wants to dress up as a princess. I mean, I can show up to Comic Con in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt and say I'm Tony Stark since he could wear that, but I'm not going to win the Costume Contest or inspire many folks to buy my cosplay merch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom