News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

James Alucobond

When you factor in some of the other goals of this project and this team it’s easy to see why I would come to the conclusion that “body image” might have something to do with it but it could just be me reading too much into it. The non girly, feminist friendly adventure outfit makes sense I guess considering the setting.
I think that’s just because it was variably meant to be in Frontierland, New Orleans Square, and Critter Country rather than Fantasyland, not because they’re trying to send a specific message.

mickEblu

I think that’s just because it was variably meant to be in Frontierland, New Orleans Square, and Critter Country rather than Fantasyland, not because they’re trying to send a specific message.

The had their opportunity in the finale though considering it takes place at a Mardi Gras party in New Orleans. But no they had to pull the footage and make sure she’s wearing exactly what a woman might wear at a Mardi Gras party in New Orleans in the 30s instead of going with the signature look little girls and people expect to see. Interesting choice and place to double down on being authentic (the motto of this retheme) when the setting for the queue is an employee owned business in the 30s. I guess it’s ok to not be authentic when it fits the agenda.

Brer Oswald

I'm genuinely glad that people are excited for this. And, it does look to have gotten a proper budget. The more I'm seeing, the more it just feels a little meh and flat for me. (Coming from a PatF fan, BTW.) But, the log has sailed. I do fear for effects maintenance given modern Disney trends, but time will tell for that. No rush for me to go see it, so glad to give those of you who will respond this way your proverbial "shorter line".

I'm just not the audience for modern Disney Parks, and that's getting clearer by each add.
My prediction that it ends up being a bit inconsistent with a bunch of great parts, and a bunch of mediocre parts. It’s a shame because Splash was so darn consistent in what it did. It was like the culmination of all the lessons Imagineering learned up to that point.

James Alucobond

The had their opportunity in the finale though considering it takes place at a Mardi Gras party in the New Orleans. But no they had to pull the footage and make sure she’s wearing exactly what a woman might wear at a Mardi Gras party in New Orleans in the 30s instead of going with the signature look little girls and people expect to see. Interesting choice and place to double down on being authentic (the motto of this retheme) when the setting for the queue is an employee owned business in the 30s. I guess it’s ok to not be authentic when it fits the agenda.
The gown you’re referring to is her wedding gown (and a magically generated plant-based one at that). The one she wears in the finale of the ride is very similar to the one she wears at her restaurant at the end of the film. I don’t think this is specifically tied to some sort of agenda, but if you’re determined to tie everything about this ride to that, then I suppose you will.

MagicHappens1971

I think it makes way more sense for Tiana not to be in her signature gown than it does for her to be. I was somewhat expecting an appearance of it in the finale scene, but I think that is the only place where it would've been appropriate.

mickEblu

The gown you’re referring to is her wedding gown (and a magically generated plant-based one at that). The one she wears in the finale of the ride is very similar to the one she wears at her restaurant at the end of the film. I don’t think this is specifically tied to some sort of agenda, but if you’re determined to tie everything about this ride to that, then I suppose you will.

Whatever it is she should be wearing it there. As a father of a three year old daughter who loves Tiana and put myself in that moment of riding with her when she’s tall enough I want it to be the character she recognizes. I want it to be unmistakeable. Not authentic. I honestly don’t know if she’d even know it’s Tiana if we didn’t tell her or she heard her name over and over.

I think there are multiple things at play as I have mentioned in my last few posts

Last edited:

Gusey

Other than that the finale feels full-ish but I'm not seeing a whole bunch of critter AA's. Is it just Louis, the beaver and a couple other ones? Trading a bunch of charming anthropomorphic critters singing a huge chorus on a rocking steamboat for a bunch of Humans was always going to be a downgrade.
I can count at least 14 critters in that scene, plus Louis, Tiana, Naveen, Ralphie, Eudora and Charlotte and the footage is not the best

James Alucobond

Whatever it is she should be wearing it there. I think there are multiple things at play as I have mentioned in my last few posts
You’re putting multiple things in play through imagined connections. She has the crown from her wedding dress and a new party gown that is a fusion of her wedding dress and the dress she wears at her restaurant. I’d actually love to see this gown at the 1900 Park Fare character meal instead of what we got. It’s more likely that they just want more outfits to sell more merchandise.

mickEblu

You’re putting multiple things in play through imagined connections. She has the crown from her wedding dress and a new party gown that is a fusion of her wedding dress and the dress she wears at her restaurant. I’d actually love to see this gown at the 1900 Park Faire character meal instead of what we got. It’s more likely that they just want more outfits to sell more merchandise.

And I think it’s the wrong choice. Not sure if you replied after I edited my comment but…

As a father of a three year old daughter who loves Tiana and put myself in that moment of riding with her when she’s tall enough I want it to be the character she recognizes. I want it to be unmistakeable. Not authentic. I honestly don’t know if she’d even know it’s Tiana if we didn’t tell her or she heard her name over and over.

Yeah I think they re going to sell out of the swamp outfit for sure. Lol. Little girls will be fighting over ‘em.

James Alucobond

And I think it’s the wrong choice. Not sure if you replied after I edited my comment but…

As a father of a three year old daughter who loves Tiana and put myself in that moment of riding with her when she’s tall enough I want it to be the character she recognizes. I want it to be unmistakeable. Not authentic. I honestly don’t know if she’d even know it’s Tiana if we didn’t tell her or she heard her name over and over.
Perfectly valid opinion, I’m just saying that your attempts to connect this to things like body positivity and/or feminism seem a stretch to me.

mickEblu

Perfectly valid opinion, I’m just saying that your attempts to connect this to things like body positivity and/or feminism seem a stretch to me.

Perhaps but we’ve heard and know enough that it’s reasonable. Regardless of the intent it’s a poor choice. Maybe it’s just modern WDI’s fascination with being hyper real, “immersive” and authentic over fun and giving the guests what they want. I think Galaxies Edge is a good example. Again they re just thinking too hard and prioritizing the wrong things.

mickEblu

They’ve literally never said anything about those two topics relative to this attraction, so no, it’s not reasonable.

Sometimes you have to connect the dots. It doesn’t even necessarily means it’s an “agenda.” It could just be a reflection of who these imagineers are and their beliefs so it naturally seeps into the finished product.

Epcot82Guy

My prediction that it ends up being a bit inconsistent with a bunch of great parts, and a bunch of mediocre parts. It’s a shame because Splash was so darn consistent in what it did. It was like the culmination of all the lessons Imagineering learned up to that point.

That sums it up perfectly. While it wasn't perfect, that type of placesetting and theme creation is what I loved about the parks in the 80s/90s. It's a different time and a different set of priorities/goals now. At least they are putting effort into things based on TBA vs. just hoping cheap IP layovers. While still not for me, that is an objective plus.

mickEblu

@James Alucobond is messaging perhaps a better word than agenda? Inclusion is part of the messaging on TBA. You heard PJ Morton say it on the ride through. Tianas Foods being an Employee owned business is part of that messaging. And yet you’d be hard pressed to find an employee owned business in the 30s. So I find it ironic that they went super authentic with Tiana’s outfit in the finale when it was their opportunity to have her in the signature gown/ look.

Professortango1

In terms of cheap rethemes, this falls above Incredicoaster, Stormrider, and Frozen Ever After and probably lands about equal to Mission BO. The attraction facade is okay, but less iconic, the changeover feels like it had people who cared working with thin budgets, everything isn't as good as it was before, but it is more modern and good enough.

I think it just lost its character. Baxter, Davis, and older imagineers focused on characters having expressive faces and simplicity of movement for filler characters. The enthusiasm of the gospel chickens on the paddleboat would always make me laugh. The scene felt epic. The new scene looks busy, but not epic. The characters move more, but are less expressive. Instead of riding through a musical finale, we are riding past a jumping party with our friends singing and waving to us.

Of course, these opinions are my own and based upon the ride footage we have available. They are subject to change if moments play better in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom