News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

James Alucobond

Sometimes you have to connect the dots. It doesn’t even necessarily means it’s an “agenda.” It could just be a reflection of who these imagineers are and their beliefs so it naturally seeps into the finished product.
Do you know who all the Imagineers on this project are and what their personal beliefs are? Are they an ideological monolith? As to your second comment about messaging, yes, there is some intended messaging behind this conversion, but the specific issues you just raised weren’t stated to be a part of it, nor is there any convincing evidence to support your point. 3D conversions of 2D characters always look a bit off-model, and there’s nothing unfeminine about her finale dress. It’s literally just a different sparkly dress.

mickEblu

In terms of cheap rethemes, this falls above Incredicoaster, Stormrider, and Frozen Ever After and probably lands about equal to Mission BO. The attraction facade is okay, but less iconic, the changeover feels like it had people who cared working with thin budgets, everything isn't as good as it was before, but it is more modern and good enough.

I think it just lost its character. Baxter, Davis, and older imagineers focused on characters having expressive faces and simplicity of movement for filler characters. The enthusiasm of the gospel chickens on the paddleboat would always make me laugh. The scene felt epic. The new scene looks busy, but not epic. The characters move more, but are less expressive. Instead of riding through a musical finale, we are riding past a jumping party with our friends singing and waving to us.

Of course, these opinions are my own and based upon the ride footage we have available. They are subject to change if moments play better in person.

Busy but not epic is a great way to put it.

mickEblu

Do you know who all the Imagineers on this project are and what their personal beliefs are? Are they an ideological monolith? As to your second comment about messaging, yes, there is some intended messaging behind this conversion, but the specific issues you just raised weren’t stated to be a part of it, nor is there any convincing evidence to support your point. 3D conversions of 2D characters always look a bit off-model, and there’s nothing unfeminine about her finale dress. It’s literally just a different sparkly dress.

No but the majority, whoever the leader(s) are and loudest voices in the room will usually win.

Incomudro

My prediction that it ends up being a bit inconsistent with a bunch of great parts, and a bunch of mediocre parts. It’s a shame because Splash was so darn consistent in what it did. It was like the culmination of all the lessons Imagineering learned up to that point.
Yeah, I'm not weighing in yet because it's kind of hard to at this point.
The end scene is nice and full, though it's hard for me to get over the old river boat scene because I'll always remember how big of an impact that had on me.
I'll really have to see a full ride through on how this all works together.

mickEblu

Ok I can see you’re fixated on a couple things I said were possible and are not actually engaging in a discussion. Let’s move on.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The had their opportunity in the finale though considering it takes place at a Mardi Gras party in New Orleans. But no they had to pull the footage and make sure she’s wearing exactly what a woman might wear at a Mardi Gras party in New Orleans in the 30s instead of going with the signature look little girls and people expect to see. Interesting choice and place to double down on being authentic (the motto of this retheme) when the setting for the queue is an employee owned business in the 30s. I guess it’s ok to not be authentic when it fits the agenda.

I guess that a 30 second query on any search engine is beneath them. Has to be a full blown junket to the very site someone calls "authentic"

James Alucobond

Ok I can see you’re fixated on a couple things I said were possible and are not actually engaging in a discussion. Let’s move on.
I mean, yes, if there’s something specific in what you said that I disagree with, I generally clip out that bit as a quote and try to address that directly. As I said, you’re welcome to your opinion about the dress and Tiana’s look, but as ever, it’s intellectually dishonest to try to tie that to a specific ideology and pass things that are merely possible off as reasonable, likely, supported by evidence, or capable of being naturally concluded without looking at things through an overly suspicious lens.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Personally I think the outside of the attraction overall is an improvement over Splash. No idea of the overall composition, just the few vignettes that were published look great. The Tiana anamatronic , while better than the balloon faces of 7D and FEA, still creeps me out like the N'avi Shaman with the weird arm waving.

Hockey89

In terms of cheap rethemes, this falls above Incredicoaster, Stormrider, and Frozen Ever After and probably lands about equal to Mission BO. The attraction facade is okay, but less iconic, the changeover feels like it had people who cared working with thin budgets, everything isn't as good as it was before, but it is more modern and good enough.

I think it just lost its character. Baxter, Davis, and older imagineers focused on characters having expressive faces and simplicity of movement for filler characters. The enthusiasm of the gospel chickens on the paddleboat would always make me laugh. The scene felt epic. The new scene looks busy, but not epic. The characters move more, but are less expressive. Instead of riding through a musical finale, we are riding past a jumping party with our friends singing and waving to us.

Of course, these opinions are my own and based upon the ride footage we have available. They are subject to change if moments play better in person.
Agreed completely. They turned one of the best rides in all the parks into blah for all the wrong reasons.... It never works and it always fails.....

What a shame....

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Some line ups with the Splash scenes:
GooseCompare.PNG
BrerR.PNG

Movin Along Compare.PNG

Rabbit Trap Compare.PNG

Beehive Compare.PNG

Finale Compare.PNG

FrogCompare.PNG

HomeSweetCompare.PNG

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

I honestly think they did an amazing job and while I am not going to sit here and say I wouldn't take Splash Mountain back if offered, while looking at the side by sides, I did notice preferring the new aesthetics over the old.

Granted, they are definitely different creative directions but a lot of the new stuff is drawing attention to how cheap some of the old stuff looked.

MadderAdder

Weirdly enough I miss the homemade-ness of Splash, when looking at these comparisons. Mainly the banner and the weird nailed logs, lol. Seem way more natural. That scene with Tiana by herself in her hat feels starkly empty but eh. Still hyped to ride it. In like 5 years.

JustInTime

P

This is nothing against you. I think it just says a lot about how much strollers have overtaken the parks that not even play areas are immune from being replaced by stroller parking. Reminds me of the song, "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." In this instance they couldn't be bothered to retheme a play area and the parking lot is stroller parking.
Definitely a good point. They are out of control.

Incomudro

Weirdly enough I miss the homemade-ness of Splash, when looking at these comparisons. Mainly the banner and the weird nailed logs, lol. Seem way more natural. That scene with Tiana by herself in her hat feels starkly empty but eh. Still hyped to ride it. In like 5 years.
There's a sense of humor in setting scenes that Disney used to do so well.
From Pirates, to Jungle Cruise, to Splash etc...
Most of that seems to be lost to an unnecessary realism - even when animated characters are involved.
Scenes can look "better" now if you will, but they don't work better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom