News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

People are right, the old Laughin' Place scene now looks so barren and empty compared to . . .

. . . oh, um . . .

View attachment 788365

View attachment 788366
I'm not sure what you think you're proving here. For starters, that scene hasn't been lit correctly for a number of years now, as that image demonstrates. It's supposed to be considerably darker with colorful lighting. But some idiot decided to either turn the worklights on permanently or switched to generic bright white lights. The scene when properly lit looked quite similar to that new scene in TBA (Disneyland was also lit like this as well). Except it also had the kinetics of the jumping fountains (also frequently broken in recent years), which unfortunately appear to have been removed entirely from the TBA scene with the empty concrete pits left behind. Marni1971 has a tribute video showing the scene in its proper glory. Though I won't link it since the mods will probably purge it.

There are supposedly four frog figures in that scene. You can see the trumpet flower playing one just off to the right, the other three are likely next to it. The design of these figures are very well done and I appreciate their unique details from one another, but they're unfortunately simple moving props with less motion than their proper AA predecessors.

The prior attraction not only had several genuine AA's in this room (about five), but also a substantial amount of simple moving props for all of the turtles and gophers. Disneyland had an even larger number of proper AA's, and hopefully some of them survived. Perhaps there are more figures than just the four frogs further down, but i'm not betting money on it. Human sized variants of the Zydeco critter band would be neat for instance. Or some enlarged fireflies, even though those would also likely be simple moving or static props.

I want a longer and clearer look at the figures in the ride to be 100% certain of this, but it looks like none of the new critter characters are proper AA's. Their movement seems to be very limited compared to many of their predecessors, both the smaller zydeco band and even the larger bobcats and bears. Even the otter seems to be fairly basic, despite the diagrams they released of him indicating more motion. It's starting to look like Splash Archive and Brayden may have been correct about there only being 17ish proper AA's. I'm glad that the ride isn't completely empty and that the character designs are good, but their limited motion is a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I'm not sure what you think you're proving here. For starters, that scene hasn't been lit correctly for a number of years now, as that image demonstrates. It's supposed to be considerably darker with colorful lighting. But some idiot decided to either turn the worklights on permanently or switched to generic bright white lights. The scene when properly lit looked quite similar to that new scene in TBA (Disneyland was also lit like this as well). Except it also had the kinetics of the jumping fountains (also frequently broken in recent years), which unfortunately appear to have been removed entirely from the TBA scene with the empty concrete pits left behind. Marni1971 has a tribute video showing the scene in its proper glory. Though I won't link it since the mods will probably purge it.

There are supposedly four frog figures in that scene. You can see the trumpet flower playing one just off to the right, the other three are likely next to it. The design of these figures are very well done and I appreciate their unique details from one another, but they're unfortunately simple moving props with less motion than their proper AA predecessors.

The prior attraction not only had several genuine AA's in this room (about five), but also a substantial amount of simple moving props for all of the turtles and gophers. Disneyland had an even larger number of proper AA's, and hopefully some of them survived. Perhaps there are more figures than just the four frogs further down, but i'm not betting money on it. Human sized variants of the Zydeco critter band would be neat for instance. Or some enlarged fireflies, even though those would also likely be simple moving or static props.

I want a longer and clearer look at the figures in the ride to be 100% certain of this, but it looks like none of the new critter characters are proper AA's. Their movement seems to be very limited compared to many of their predecessors, both the smaller zydeco band and even the larger bobcats and bears. Even the otter seems to be fairly basic, despite the diagrams they released of him indicating more motion. It's starting to look like Splash Archive and Brayden may have been correct about there only being 17ish proper AA's. I'm glad that the ride isn't completely empty and that the character designs are good, but their limited motion is a huge disappointment.
I thought my wording indicated pretty clearly what I was proving . . . that the new scene is not appreciably more barren and empty than the previous one. Not what we've seen so far of it, at least.

Otherwise, I'd agree that a longer, clearer look at the new figures is necessary before coming to conclusions about how animated they are relative to Splash's figures. And certainly we need to see whole scenes before deciding what is and isn't in them beyond the frame of these short clips, or deciding how animated those hypothetical elements would be.

MerlinTheGoat

What’s bad news is how terrible Disney was at maintaining Splash. Keeping everything working, or mostly working. Will this be any different?
I was hoping the secret spice was cardamom.

Real talk: it’s nice to see a ride here that actually looks like it’s supposed to. I hope they maintain it for more than a few years.
They'd look pretty horrible and embarrassing if they didn't, wouldn't they? Moreso than when they neglect all their other attractions I mean. I could imagine some of the headlines...

I'll personally be glad if the delicate circumstances surrounding this situation gave them an extra incentive to take care of it. Not holding my breath though.

Brer Panther

That giant Tiana head on the screen is going to be popping up in kids' nightmares, I guarantee it.

Also, they couldn't be bothered to do hand-drawn animation for the screens? Did they think it would look out of place next to the animatronics? Was Eric Goldberg too busy?
Oh, so they added a Tiana animatronic to the second lift hill. That's kind of neat.
Critter animatronics seem to indeed be limited movement, especially compared to the more advanced humans.
That drum-playing frog in the finale reminded me a lot of the lobster animatronic in the Little Mermaid ride that's supposed to be drumming, but instead just looks like he's waving his claws above the clams.
For example not sure if this existed in the MK version but at Disneyland during How Do You Do you went under some possums and heard these charming falsettos singing the melody of the song.
Those possums were in the Magic Kingdom version too (they sang "Laughin' Place" instead).

aladdin2007

People are right, the old Laughin' Place scene now looks so barren and empty compared to . . .

. . . oh, um . . .

View attachment 788365

View attachment 788366
They have been doing that for awhile now with the bright white lights in many attractions, I don't get it, its almost like were not allowed to have darker rides anymore. There is something going on with that, don't know if its for security or legal making them or what. gran fiesta suffers from it too.

MerlinTheGoat

That drum-playing frog in the finale reminded me a lot of the lobster animatronic in the Little Mermaid ride that's supposed to be drumming, but instead just looks like he's waving his claws above the clams.
Speaking of which, that lobster was broken and stationary last I rode it in March-April (along with a number of other minor figures and two Ariel AA's). Dunno why I'm bringing that up, but it's kind of funny when even those kinds of basic effects are allowed to break and remain that way for lengthy amounts of time. We'll see if they take better care of TBA's figures.

Those possums were in the Magic Kingdom version too (they sang "Laughin' Place" instead).
I wonder if they'll still be making a reappearance in TBA. They were seen in the piece of art with Naveen in the boat, but it's starting to seem like that scene won't be included in the WDW variant of the attraction at least. They sort of showed all of the spaces that scene could conceivably take place, and it wasn't present.

That said, it was art of Disneyland's version, and Splash Archive claimed the scene would take place in their former Laughing Place where the dog in the boat was located (and they would be reusing the boat prop too). Not sure if that's still accurate given the shrinking thing they did with WDW, or if they're going to ignore that over there...

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

They have been doing that for awhile now with the bright white lights in many attractions, I don't get it, its almost like were not allowed to have darker rides anymore. There is something going on with that, don't know if its for security or legal making them or what. gran fiesta suffers from it too.
It’s an operational decision after WDI is gone. If a ride gets a full refurbishment (not just maintenance), WDI will come in and fix lighting.

Sometimes they surprise us with new lighting without a refurbishment, like we just saw in the rainforest of Living with the Land. Dark lighting is definitely allowed. But, bright flood lights are cheaper to maintain longterm…

Weather_Lady

We all should've seen this coming. After all it's in the name: Tiana's BaYOU Adventure!
Makes sense that the spice is us, because I feel pretty darn spicy about everything Disney has done to one of my favorite attractions!

I support the addition of characters from under-represented communities. I support the removal of attraction elements that are culturally insensitive. I support sustainable food production methods. I support women in business. I support cooking with recipes. I adore The Princess and the Frog. However, scrapping Splash in its entirety and shoehorning the rest of these ideas all together to try and make Tiana "fit" into Frontierland was, and remains, a stupid idea. Tiana and her story have been repackaged in a manner that is so convoluted and boring that it borders on insulting. She deserved better, and so do Disney's guests.

I pray that the pics and video clips we've seen so far aren't representative of the best this redesign has to offer, and that there's something truly impressive or interesting being held back. If this is it, it's hugely disappointing.

Last edited:

the_rich

I think it is still too early to pass much of a judgment on it, but so far it is about what I expected. My view hasn't really changed in that I think the Splash Mountain fans are going to prefer Splash, and the new generation that don't have the connection to Splash will love this version.
Ill say this, splash mountain was my favorite ride in magic kingdom by a wide margin. I am super excited by what I've seen and cannot wait for my August trip.

MerlinTheGoat

By the way, someone asked if the "WELCOME To all who come to this happy place" banner across the cavern entrance into the finale was still there. I was able to just see from this new ride signage photo that it is indeed there. Unfortunately...

1717071161522.png

MerlinTheGoat

Turn the waterfall on for these photos, Disney!
I half wonder if they're going to do some sort of opening day skit of the water being turned on by a character via a valve like they did for the opening of Splash. Then again, if they're trying to distance themselves from that ride as much as possible. Maybe have Mama Odie "magic" the waterfall into flowing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom