News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Sir_Cliff

15842502029_9a6a781099_b.jpg
It is very interesting to compare the lighting in Mermaid Lagoon to that of the Under the Sea section of Voyage of the Little Mermaid. The former seems to create a colourful and convincing approximation of being in the underwater world of the film, whereas the latter seems to accentuate the feeling of moving slowly through a giant department store window display. Particularly considering how much the ride cost, it's surprising they did such a bad job on basically every aspect of the ride's main showpiece when even just better lighting design could have made such a big difference.

DisneyHead123

I know little to nothing about the development process behind the Little Mermaid ride we ended up getting. There is plenty of concept art floating around though. The figures don't look far off from what the art entailed, but the ride is a LOT darker and less colorful than the artwork. They also dropped the ball with making the sets look organic and detailed. Walls and ceilings are also rather barren and appear unfinished with exposed backstage objects.

5c638715db474bc58a8f5ffcd7e68b38.jpg

uts927169SMALL.jpg

I'll also mention Mermaid Lagoon land at Tokyo Disneysea. Because while there isn't a proper dark ride there (I think one was planned but scrapped), the interior complex is rather impressive in its own right. It shares a number of similar areas to the ride scenes (like Under the Sea, or Ariel's treasure grotto), but Tokyo's has a LOT more color and detail. Still some minor issues with the exposed ceiling, but even the surface waves are a lot more intricately detailed than the ride we got.

15842502029_9a6a781099_b.jpg

There was also a completely different Little Mermaid ride that was originally conceptualized back in 1992. It was designed by Tony Baxter and would have been built as an expansion to Disneyland Paris. No doubt canned due to that park's issues. There's a CGI ridethrough released as a bonus on one of the movie's DVD's. VERY ambitious, suspended dark ride ala Peter Pan but with vertically structured multilayered scenes. And a proper climax with a giant version of Ursula.

Thank you for the background info! The CGI ride-through is gorgeous, I assume that’s what people were referencing.

nickf456

I would love to see a Little Mermaid dark ride with a darker edge with more Ursala, as she is one of the stronger renaissance villains IMO.

I really wish WDI would have gone with a Dr. Faculier's lair (in place of the Laughing Place), and had somewhat intense voodoo magic leading to "Are You Ready" as guests ascend the lift.

TomboyJanet

I think from this thread and many other comments like....everywhere...it's clear that the key to the success of Disney is that mix of light and dark, like in Epic Mickey, Kingdom Hearts, all of those games are trying to tell you something man!! lol

But in all seriousness, The thrill part has to be there too. A good story has a conflict to overcome and a ride with a story should be the same. Otherwise it's just a simulation of an activity.

Brer Panther

You think they're still going to do that gag where they replace Brer Rabbit being caught in a beehive with Louis being stuck in a prickle bush?

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Wouldn’t that be in Living with the Land at Epcot?
Makes you wonder if the IP was originally destined for that attraction or that competing WDI overhaul plans were blended together to form the incoherent co-op story narrative for Splash. The premise certainly makes more sense for LwtL.

_caleb

Makes you wonder if the IP was originally destined for that attraction or that competing WDI overhaul plans were blended together to form the incoherent co-op story narrative for Splash. The premise certainly makes more sense for LwtL.
So you are predicting the ride’s story will be incoherent?

Smiley/OCD

If Bob I ever decided to shoehorn an IP into one of the last PURE science/nature experiences at WDW, I’ll tap out…I LOVE that ride!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, you know... that desert scene* looks a lot like salt flats!

And is that a rain forest, or a swamp?

And that farm... just like the 1920s....

*In which we're told it is still teeming with life, but doesn't show any. 🙄

TomboyJanet

So you are predicting the ride’s story will be incoherent?
If it involves a 50 foot plunge during a happy part of the story then yes! Think of a reason a good guy would throw you over a 50 foot waterfall that isn't contrive or stupid. My guess is "Mama Ode: well I gotta get you back home somehow down ya goooooo!!!" Which would make me cringe and then cast her as the villain of the ride. Like I said that would be enough for me to see this ride as another Journey Into YOUR Imagination or Stitch's Great Escape.

At that point they may as well filled it with celebrities and called it Superstar Log-o!

I've actually thought long and hard about it and that's the main problem I have right now with the re-theme. Like I said before SM was cool because of it's inconsistent tone giving you a "what comes next" feeling, and it had a real plot with conflict and resolution.

Think about the story of the Frozen ride long enough and you'll realize after you enter the Ice Palace NOTHING makes sense at all. Elsa throws you out immediately for some reason (what did we do wrong?) and then an ice monster throws us down another water fall and they all celebrate like that didn't just happen.

For lack of a better term I feel like they went a bit overboard on the "Special part is you!!" mentality Like the whole ride is going to be one big "we can do it!" speech, which would be fine for an omnimover but NOT FOR A THRILL RIDE WITH FOUR DROPS! (plus three tiny ones)

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Think about the story of the Frozen ride long enough and you'll realize after you enter the Ice Palace NOTHING makes sense at all. Elsa throws you out immediately for some reason (what did we do wrong?) and then an ice monster throws us down another water fall and they all celebrate like that didn't just happen.
I just laughed for way too long at this, but it's so unbelievably true. The fact that Elsa has zero sense of hospitality causes you to nearly die twice, but let's just sing and forget about it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom