News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

TomboyJanet

For what it's worth, I'll reiterate that i've heard the ride is going to emphasize practical sets and characters, not empty rooms lined with video projection.

And also unlike everything else they build now, it will seemingly still retain a very large population of animatronics. Even surpassing the amount Splash has. While I do trust the source, it was still very hard to believe this. But I've now come to think it could be accurate after the most recent piece of art of one particular scene has a larger quantity of characters over Splash. Even the new human AA's are apparently traditional style with physical non-projected faces, ala Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast and other upcoming Fantasy Springs attractions (my guess is they're probably the same type of models).

I still have ample other concerns about the ride such as whether the story, script and music will be any good (though i've also even heard positive things about these aspects from someone who was and still is vehemently against the closure of Splash). And whether the current crop of imagineers on this project are even capable of creating quality physical scenery (if this ended up being another Little Mermaid debacle, it wouldn't even matter if the sets were physical or video). But i've heard enough at this point to provide me with some comfort that it won't be another empty video screen ride at least.
Well that's the first bit of good news I've....ever heard about this ride.... At least it's something. I just really really wanted to get it straight that this ride transformation is a REALLY big deal because it's a top of the top attraction.

I read something a while ago that someone said they may actually have SOME sort of confrontation between the "friends from the other side" and Madame Ode, including the Shadow man's shadow where Brer Fox's used to be. That would be something worth riding. It wouldn't be Splash Mountain but It wouldn't be trash mountain either. My Bar is set very high for this ride so I just subconsciously randomly think that If I scream about it enough online that maybe someone will listen idk lmao. I know it's silly but It's like watching the neighborhood you grew up in get torn down and you just hope its not for some dumb wal mart or something.

1677789131486.png

Now that I look at this I see they are at least reusing the Possums.....I didn't even notice that so that's a relief because I love them. Some of AS lives on!

This kinda raised my feelings about the new ride from "total disaster" to "well see and watch.....but Cynically and SARCASTICALLY!" so thanks!

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Well that's the first bit of good news I've....ever heard about this ride.... At least it's something. I just really really wanted to get it straight that this ride transformation is a REALLY big deal because it's a top of the top attraction.

I read something a while ago that someone said they may actually have SOME sort of confrontation between the "friends from the other side" and Madame Ode, including the Shadow man's shadow where Brer Fox's used to be. That would be something worth riding. It wouldn't be Splash Mountain but It wouldn't be trash mountain either. My Bar is set very high for this ride so I just subconsciously randomly think that If I scream about it enough online that maybe someone will listen idk lmao. I know it's silly but It's like watching the neighborhood you grew up in get torn down and you just hope its not for some dumb wal mart or something.

View attachment 701755
Now that I look at this I see they are at least reusing the Possums.....I didn't even notice that so that's a relief because I love them. Some of AS lives on!

This kinda raised my feelings about the new ride from "total disaster" to "well see and watch.....but Cynically and SARCASTICALLY!" so thanks!
except that particular art work looks like background silhouettes cut outs, not animatronics except the humans and gator.

SplashJacket

except that particular art work looks like background silhouettes cut outs, not animatronics except the humans and gator.
The animatronics seem to be facing away from us (as in they’re apart of another scene{as in we can see between scenes<as in this concept art is at Disneyland given by the single file logs[as in there won’t be cut outs]>}).

MerlinTheGoat

DONT RUIN THIS!!! SHHHHH I want those ding dang possums! and if they get rid of them give them to me! Dont just throw them in some dump in Cleveland
It was initially told to me (around October IIRC) that at least at Disneyland, all of the old America Sings figures would be remaining alongside a bunch of brand new ones. One would assume the same would be true of any non-Brers at WDW's version as well. The possums in particular are tiny simple figures that need little to no alterations to fit anyways. I actually didn't notice them in that piece of art until you just pointed them out. Makes sense they would remain.

That art IS a bit old and primitive from what I can tell. I sort of expect a variant of that scene to appear in the ride, just wouldn't take the figure positions too seriously. The more recent piece shown with the critter band (which is for WDW) looks more like it was created as a real basis for an actual scene (including the positions and everything). Less like it was hastily and randomly cobbled together.

The animatronics seem to be facing away from us (as in they’re apart of another scene{as in we can see between scenes<as in this concept art is at Disneyland given by the single file logs[as in there won’t be cut outs]>}).
I was about to mention this too. Unless they intend to change this, the current way DL's Splash is structured is in a very "open concept" space for lack of a better phrase (for people who are familiar with that regarding interior housing design). At WDW, the show scenes are separated by walls. Disneyland's scenes don't have anywhere near as many walls, almost everything is just one large room with minimal barriers so you can basically see through the show scenes into others. That is very likely what is going on in that art, I do not believe those silhouettes are flats.

Brer Panther

Even surpassing the amount Splash has.
I'm sorry, but I'm having difficulty believing that the retheme is going to have more animatronics than Splash Mountain, even if there ARE going to be a lot of animatronics. I don't even remember the last time Disney built an attraction with more than sixty (that's around the amount that our Splash Mountain had, right?) animatronics. If they couldn't be bothered to include that many animatronics in their big fancy Star Wars dark ride, their Frozen dark ride, their Little Mermaid dark ride, or their Beauty and the Beast dark ride in Tokyo - all properties that they've paid waaaaaaay more attention to over the years - why would they go all-out in including a million animatronics for a ride based on a series on Disney Plus that A) hasn't been released yet and B) takes place after a movie that they brushed off as a flop and ignored in favor of stuff like Frozen and Tangled? Or is this just an extension of the "they were going to cheap out but then realized 'Oh crap, we have to make this spectacular' after the initial backlash' rumor?

I'm having difficulty believing that the America Sings animatronics will all be reused too. If nothing else, if the climactic lift hill is going to be turned into a cheery trip through Mama Odie's house, I'd say that torpedoes any chance of the vultures being kept around. If the scene won't be "scary" in the slightest, I can't picture them sticking around (I can't even picture them being moved to another part of the ride if the ride is going to be conflict-free).

Plus, isn't a major reason they're doing this retheme because they're getting tired of constantly fixing Splash Mountain's animatronics?
I read something a while ago that someone said they may actually have SOME sort of confrontation between the "friends from the other side" and Madame Ode,
That was the original plot of the attraction, apparently... the one that focused on Louis chasing after his trumpet. The voodoo spirits would've showed up to mess with us for whatever reason as a replacement for the "Burrow's Lament" sequence. Apparently that plotline was trashed and replaced by the "Tiana's big inclusive food co-op" storyline we have now after it was leaked and everyone reacted negatively to it.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm having difficulty believing that the America Sings animatronics will all be reused too. If nothing else, if the climactic lift hill is going to be turned into a cheery trip through Mama Odie's house, I'd say that torpedoes any chance of the vultures being kept around. If the scene won't be "scary" in the slightest, I can't picture them sticking around (I can't even picture them being moved to another part of the ride if the ride is going to be conflict-free).
Depends on whether the entire lift hill is going to be happy, or just the top. I don't know either way. Though i'm admittedly not really expecting any real tension or fear in the plot given their recent content of this type. I do expect any returning figures will probably be shifted around and reskinned to some extent though. As seen with that newest piece of art with the critter band, which are entirely new figures in the place where the fishing geese previously were.

I was told that "all" of the old America Sings figures would be retained. Though if any AS characters were actually scrapped, the vultures do seem likely candidates. I do believe the source's broader claims that there won't be a reduction in the quantity of AA's, i'm already seeing some evidence in that regard. The newest piece of art showcases more figures than Splash had for that one particular scene. But I'm curious to see how accurate the "all old ones are staying" claim ends up being. Because I do know there are quite a lot of new ones as well.

Plus, isn't a major reason they're doing this retheme because they're getting tired of constantly fixing Splash Mountain's animatronics?
That was originally something they hoped for, yes. The "Lost Trumpet" variant was going to have a mass removal of the AA's and would lean heavily into video projection along flat empty hallways. That plan seemingly didn't last long. I'll miss the tree atop the peak, but everything else i've heard about it would have been a disgrace and the better version won out.

I'm sorry, but I'm having difficulty believing that the retheme is going to have more animatronics than Splash Mountain, even if there ARE going to be a lot of animatronics. I don't even remember the last time Disney built an attraction with more than sixty (that's around the amount that our Splash Mountain had, right?) animatronics.
WDW's Splash has around 60 AA's, while Disneyland's is about 70. Sinbad at Tokyo Disneysea was the last attraction they built with a significant number of AA's, over 20 years ago. They really went all out with it too, literally around 140 AA's. As far as i'm aware, that's the most i've ever seen in a Disney attraction. Most of them have a wide range of too and with very fluid motion. I think World of Motion was Disney's previous runner up for AA quantity.

Or is this just an extension of the "they were going to cheap out but then realized 'Oh crap, we have to make this spectacular' after the initial backlash' rumor?
I'm told that is exactly what happened, yes. The initial announcement for the retheme did not receive the unanimous praise they expected. Quite the opposite in fact. It got even uglier when budgets and plans for the Lost Trumpet variant were shared online.

This isn't a Star Wars or Beauty and the Beast situation where there's a guarantee of minimal backlash and basic success no matter what they do. As I understand it, it has been made abundantly loud and clear to Disney's leadership and imagineers that this is not a normal situation and cannot be approached in the same way they have with other rides for the past several decades now.

If they mess this ride up, there's going to be hell to pay, and they know it. It unfortunately didn't scare them enough to scrap the plan outright (mixture of digging themselves in too deep and ego), but it has seemingly motivated them to take this seriously and attempt to do actual justice to Splash Mountain. Whether they have the actual talent to do so remains to be seen. That's where i'm keeping some skepticism in reserve.

Brer Panther

Depends on whether the entire lift hill is going to be happy, or just the top. I don't know either way. Though i'm admittedly not really expecting any real tension or fear in the plot given their recent content of this type.
Remember @Buried20KLeague's guess in another thread as to what the plot would be? It turned the lift hill into "Mama Odie is just up that hill, and she has the secret ingredient that Tiana needs because [reasons]". That's what I'm expecting them to do.
I do expect any returning figures will probably be shifted around and reskinned to some extent though.
Even so, I'm not sure HOW they'd be able to reskin the vultures. The only America Sings I can picture them reskinning to be more Princess and the Frog-ish are the storks in the Laughin' Place section of Disneyland's, which could hypothetically be reskinned as two of the spoonbills from the movie. The vultures... I dunno?
As seen with that newest piece of art with the critter band, which are entirely new figures in the place where the fishing geese previously were.
I've heard some people suggest that the rabbit in that concept art might be a reskin of one of the Brer Rabbit animatronics, for what it's worth.
I was told that "all" of the old America Sings figures would be retained. Though if any AS characters were actually scrapped, the vultures do seem likely candidates.
In addition to the vultures, I can't picture them keeping the rabbits and possums in the "Burrow's Lament" sequence either, for the same reason as the Vultures - if the storyline has no tension, they'd be pretty out of place.

The only animatronics in Disney World's version I can maybe see them reusing are the Swamp Boys, the porcupine and raccoon, and the bullfrogs. Maybe the possums and the turtles in the Laughin' Place too. The rest, I'd be shocked if they stuck around.
i'm already seeing some evidence in that regard. The newest piece of art showcases more figures than Splash had for that one particular scene.
I'm not sure if concept art is really evidence. There could always be budget cuts, and those "new animatronics" (aside from Tiana and Louis) could wind up being more in line with the sea creatures in the "Under the Sea" sequence of the Little Mermaid ride.
This isn't a Star Wars or Beauty and the Beast situation where there's a guarantee of minimal backlash and basic success no matter what they do. As I understand it, it has been made abundantly loud and clear to Disney's leadership and imagineers that this is not a normal situation and cannot be approached in the same way they have with other rides for the past several decades now.
I don't want it to sound like I don't trust you (honestly, there's been so much back and forth regarding the retheme and its development on this site that I don't know what to believe), but I'm still kind of skeptical. Since when does Disney care about how people react to their plans for new attractions? Backlash online didn't affect Frozen Ever After, the Guardians of the Galaxy Tower of Terror retheme, or Mickey's Runaway Railway, so why would it affect this particular project? Does it really all just come down to fear of being dubbed racist or problematic?

MerlinTheGoat

I'm not sure if concept art is really evidence. There could always be budget cuts, and those "new animatronics" (aside from Tiana and Louis) could wind up being more in line with the sea creatures in the "Under the Sea" sequence of the Little Mermaid ride.
One of the critters from that scene had a diagram posted at D23 showing the sorts of motion it's being constructed to be capable of. It's far more advanced than those cheap department store window display trinkets in Little Mermaid. And yes I have heard that the other small animal figures are also being made with the same sort of detail and range.

tianas-bayou-adventure-splash-mountain-reimagining-disneyland-california-409.jpg

A lot of these new AA's have also already been built as well (if not all by now). So even if there were budget cuts during construction (which i'm glad to say doesn't sound likely at this point with how uncharacteristically motivated they are to lock it in and get this right), I at least wouldn't expect the AA's to be impacted.

I don't want it to sound like I don't trust you (honestly, there's been so much back and forth regarding the retheme and its development on this site that I don't know what to believe), but I'm still kind of skeptical. Since when does Disney care about how people react to their plans for new attractions? Backlash online didn't affect Frozen Ever After, the Guardians of the Galaxy Tower of Terror retheme, or Mickey's Runaway Railway, so why would it affect this particular project? Does it really all just come down to fear of being dubbed racist or problematic?
Partially. The circumstances surrounding this project are very unique and can't be directly compared to anything else.

Incomudro

Is it because they were basically forced into it by people online? Or does it stem from Disney trying to show off how inclusive they are?

I know, I know, but it's hard for me to think of another reason why the circumstances would be very unique and unable to be directly compared to anything else. It's not like The Princess and the Frog is Disney's biggest franchise ever.
As the Goat said, PatF doesn't have a huge built in audience unlike Star Wars or Toy Story.
Sure, there's a portion of the population out there hankering for this retheme for certain reasons.
But a huge interest in PatF isn't the primary reason.
So, Disney has got to get this right.

Sir_Cliff

One of the critters from that scene had a diagram posted at D23 showing the sorts of motion it's being constructed to be capable of. It's far more advanced than those cheap department store window display trinkets in Little Mermaid. And yes I have heard that the other small animal figures are also being made with the same sort of detail and range.
I know people like to be cynical (with some cause) about new Disney attractions and I get the concern about screens replacing sets, but I would be very, very surprised if they replaced the proper AAs of Splash with figures on the level of those in The Little Mermaid. As would anyone with two functioning eyes, they must know those figures do not look good and the ride would become a joke if they replaced the AAs with department store window display figures.

My feeling is you'd have to either put proper AAs in or use alternatives such as screens. Putting in figures on the level of a Fantasyland dark ride, though, would be like Pirates of the Caribbean emerging from a refurbishment with mostly static, plastic figures: they would be roasted.

discos

I know people like to be cynical (with some cause) about new Disney attractions and I get the concern about screens replacing sets, but I would be very, very surprised if they replaced the proper AAs of Splash with figures on the level of those in The Little Mermaid. As would anyone with two functioning eyes, they must know those figures do not look good and the ride would become a joke if they replaced the AAs with department store window display figures.

My feeling is you'd have to either put proper AAs in or use alternatives such as screens. Putting in figures on the level of a Fantasyland dark ride, though, would be like Pirates of the Caribbean emerging from a refurbishment with mostly static, plastic figures: they would be roasted.
The reason why all the figures in Mermaid look "off-brand" is becasue Disney didn't build any of them, aside from Ursula. Garner Holt Productions built all the complex figures in that ride then another company called Advanced Animations built the more simple figures like the fish spitting out a fountain of water and the group of fish doing the conga line in Under the Sea. By looks of it with them releasing that character sketch of the Otter, it appears Disney is building and designing these figures so we'll be good I think

TomboyJanet

A Cheery trip to Mama Odie's house and then having her throw you off a cliff for no reason other to "send you back home" or something dumb like that would be enough to kill this ride for me no matter how many AAs it has or how the rest of the ride goes. I don't want any hide and go seek ride here. Splash Mountain was my favorite because it had this dark twist about it that it was both cheery and scary and that usually pulls me in immediately. That's why I like the Tiki Room, The Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Original Imagination (though not the only reason), Great Movie Ride (aliens, Gangsters, bandits, a death scene, and ending in Munchkin land? GENIUS!), Mr Toad, Original Snow White, Pooh, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Even Country Bears (those heads on the wall are CHILLING when you think about it too hard!). It's the recipe for a fantastic ride, and Splash Mountain had everything I liked in one ride, good animatronics, good music, Water (boat rides are just cooler than dark rides, how often do you get to ride in a boat without owning one?), Drops, a chilling climax, loveable heroes, and indoors and outdoors with a great finale. It checked all the boxes. It was the PERFECT DISNEY RIDE.

Now it just feels like someone is replacing a detailed model train display with legos and building blocks. I mean come on the Tiki Room is going to be more hardcore than it!

As For the Vultures..... I wondered that myself. Those were two of the coolest figures ever made. If they can't find room for them there at least put them on Thunder Mountain or the Haunted Mansion. They'd look pretty cool perched above the cavern exit on the first drop atop the waterfall thingie.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom