News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

Given Disney's track record for creating immersive and engaging theme park experiences, there's reason to be optimistic that the rethemed ride could incorporate a positive message while still being fun and exciting. The imagineers have a lot of creativity and expertise when it comes to creating dark rides with compelling stories and thrilling drops, so it's reasonable to expect that they could create a ride that is both entertaining and uplifting.
The people who HAD experience making said quality attractions are long gone from WDI. During the past couple of years, there were mass firings and resignations at WDI. So even the people involved with Star Wars, Avatar and the current/upcoming Tokyo projects aren't there anymore. Disney isn't even running on fumes anymore.

Charita Carter for instance doesn't have a creative background, she's an accountant. And Carmen Smith is in TV standards and practices. Those are the "project leaders" for this ride. If I didn't have information that Tony Baxter and even Bob Weis were significantly involved in this ride (even the Disney executives realized their own teams weren't going to cut it), I would have zero hopes for Tiana. Carter's one contribution to the project seems to be the salt mine co-op backstory, which pretty much everyone hates and will be a sore spot even if the rest of the ride is good.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Charita Carter for instance doesn't have a creative background, she's an accountant. And Carmen Smith is in TV standards and practices. Those are the "project leaders" for this ride. If I didn't have information that Tony Baxter and even Bob Weis were significantly involved in this ride (even the Disney executives realized their own teams weren't going to cut it), I would have zero hopes for Tiana. Carter's one contribution to the project seems to be the salt mine co-op backstory, which pretty much everyone hates and will be a sore spot even if the rest of the ride is good.
Didn’t Carter take the lead on the MMRR project? Like it or not it seems to be reasonably successful even if it’s arguable whether it was placed in the optimal location at DHS. Or was that a Weis-Rafferty project that she largely co-produced on as well?

As long as the salt mine/co-op is just queue and backstory placement, I agree - that should be non-objectionable. A log flume really only needs singing bayou critters to stay a success.

Drdcm

Yeah, I assume the actual ride will be pretty much a simple adventure with Tiana (as it should be). The messaging is just a little over the top--it's a Disney World ride in Magic Kingdom, not an actual food co-op or whatever.
Exactly. I said this a while ago, but I think the messaging is a weird example of imagineers trying to show us how much thought they put into it rather than showing us why it will be fun. Again, this is just my impression. It’s ok if someone is excited about this stuff… happy they’re excited.

Alanzo

What is the positive message though? Is the Walt Disney Company really going to tell me through a log flume the benefit of employee owned businesses?

Tiana, using profits from a salt mine collective, builds a time machine to the future. In this future world, she discovers that message boards have created divisive factions with divergent opinions about her collective, leading to conflict and division.

The ride would incorporate a positive message about finding a way to get along with those who disagree with you, both on message boards and in the real world. This message could encourage riders to consider the importance of listening to other perspectives, finding common ground, and working together to achieve common goals, even in the face of differences and disagreements.

Or she blows up the internet and barely escapes back to her own time as she plummets down and away from Internet HQ.

MerlinTheGoat

Didn’t Carter take the lead on the MMRR project? Like it or not it seems to be reasonably successful even if it’s arguable whether it was placed in the optimal location at DHS. Or was that a Weis-Rafferty project that she largely co-produced on as well?

As long as the salt mine/co-op is just queue and backstory placement, I agree - that should be non-objectionable. A log flume really only needs singing bayou critters to stay a success.
She started with WDI on the finance side but has been in the creative side for the past 13+ years
yes I believe she was a lead on MMRR, I just replied to their previous post, but she started in the finance side of WDI and has been on the creative side for over 13 years
She was "senior producer" on MMRR. So while she "oversaw" the project, she had little to no hand in the creative process. Kevin Rafferty was brought on to help with the creative forces behind it. While Paul Rudish (lead animator on the modern Mickey shorts) also oversaw much of the visual scenery. And of course, a lot of other people as well. Carter isn't a "creative", even if she is often trotted out to seem like she is.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

She was "senior producer" on MMRR. So while she "oversaw" the project, she had little to no hand in the creative process. Kevin Rafferty was brought on to help with the creative force behind it. Carter isn't a "creative", even if she is often trotted out to seem like she is.
She’s served as a Creative Producer in some form for the past 17 years for WDI
934BEFBC-C56F-4576-ABEA-6552678D0A7D.jpeg

MerlinTheGoat

She’s served as a Creative Producer in some form for the past 17 years for WDI
A title that holds no actual meaning. Again, she has power OVER creative teams, but is not herself a creative. Her background and experience is in finance. Her college degree is for accounting. And you can very much see this background in the so-called "story" her team created for Tiana.

Last edited:

Drdcm

The people who HAD experience making said quality attractions are long gone from WDI. During the past couple of years, there were mass firings and resignations at WDI. So even the people involved with Star Wars, Avatar and the current/upcoming Tokyo projects aren't there anymore. Disney isn't even running on fumes anymore.

This is just a side note, not an argument.

I find it surprising that they are having trouble finding creative people. Being an imagineer is like a dream job, probably for many of us on this forum. I know I would love doing it. For something so competitive, why are they lacking in creativity?

JoeCamel

This is just a side note, not an argument.

I find it surprising that they are having trouble finding creative people. Being an imagineer is like a dream job, probably for many of us on this forum. I know I would love doing it. For something so competitive, why are they lacking in creativity?
Maybe the current pipeline of creatives is failing to produce truly creative people? Or there is so much corporate BS tacked onto the job it is not a creative environment so creative people prefer not to subject themselves to the grind?

JMcMahonEsq

And this is exactly why I hoped this thread stayed as just construction updates. Another thread ruined by people’s political/social views.
Wait, so you wanted this thread to basically just talk about what tarp is up where and how many stones have been turned over?

What is the point of that. Unless you have access to the CPM schedule for the Project, and are tracking percentages of completion, the back and forth that is going on now is probably alot more informative.

Tha Realest

Being included is nice.
The corporate buzzword of saying: "We aim for an environment of inclusivity" or whatever variations on that phrase we currently see, is nothing more than meaningless corporate pandering.
Just throw in the word dujour.
It’s particularly risible when you consider these efforts at “inclusion” are done in parks that are increasingly economically exclusionary to all but the upper middle class.

Modern day Tianas this attraction is meant to inspire cannot afford to visit, let alone pay the ILLs or Genie+ fees enabling them to experience it AFTER they’ve paid to get in to the park or stay at somewhere like Port Orleans.

Drdcm

And this is exactly why I hoped this thread stayed as just construction updates. Another thread ruined by people’s political/social views. Love having to wade through 3 pages of this crap to see one tiny updates.
You can “ignore” the people you don’t want to listen to. Me included in fact. Then you can get only the updates you want.

celluloid

Oh thanks for teaching me how to use the internet.
You are confusing a suggestion with instruction.
You want what was already altered by the site admins. So I don't know what else to say there. Sorry this thread is not what you want.

You are not going to get daily changes either way with this project.

_caleb

A title that holds no actual meaning. Again, she has power OVER creative teams, but is not herself a creative. Her background and experience is in finance. Her college degree is for accounting. And you can very much see this background in the so-called "story" her team created for Tiana.
Come on, this is silly. You think that because she majored in accounting back in college she's forever disqualified from leading a creative project?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom