News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

aladdin2007

Continually replying to the same people over and over again with the same contrived explanations, when said people already said that they don't consider the explanation remotely acceptable or believable. Then calling into question their intelligence for not agreeing and saying "good day" with any further commentary now invalid and moot. Come on now, if that's not trying to bully and force someone into changing their opinion, I don't know what is...

I have no qualms with people who like or dislike what they did with the exterior. If someone looks at it and thinks it doesn't look right, it's not really anyone's business to try and convince them otherwise. It's Disney's job to try and convince people that something looks correct and plausible. And not through ridiculously contrived backstories, but by just looking at the something and being able to understand and believe it.

I will throw my own hat into the discussion to say that the exterior doesn't remotely resemble any of the examples posted. At all-

View attachment 770624
View attachment 770623

These look NOTHING alike. And the thing is, i'm not even mad that it doesn't resemble those landmarks. As weird as the exterior currently looks, nothing about those real landmarks look like they would make for good and interesting fits for a theme park attraction either.

My biggest pet peeve is still the top of the structure being completely bald. Far too late for this, but they really should have gone with at least some variant of Mama Odie's tree and boat up there. Even if it needed to go through some conceptual/structural revisions to be built (the boat being moved down and embedded into the mouth of the cavern would have made even more sense and also taken a lot of weight off the tree). Just scrap the entire Avery Island and salt dome stuff entirely. It wouldn't have really fixed ALL of the problems entirely, but at the very least it would have been somewhat better...
I agree, the whole thing feels like a downgrade in structure which matches with what Disney is about lately, downsizing everything in more ways than one. But not surprising since they did a patch job on the logs and not replaced the rabbits with a frog or something, anything, its already a bad sign that details may be less in this ride. I said it in the other thread but I think were in for another frozen ever after style budget thing here no matter what insiders may keep saying. It just spells corners being cut. I do hope that theory is totally wrong,,but so far....

_caleb

I have no qualms with people who like or dislike what they did with the exterior. If someone looks at it and thinks it doesn't look right, it's not really anyone's business to try and convince them otherwise. It's Disney's job to try and convince people that something looks correct and plausible. And not through ridiculously contrived backstories, but by just looking at the something and being able to understand and believe it.
I guess I might be accused of trying to convince fellow fans to appreciate some of the things I like about this project (and others). I don't intend for it to come across as bullying anymore than when I try to convince my theme-park-avoidant friends to visit WDW, or my too-grown-up-for-comic-book friends to wade into the better parts of the MCU.

For me (as a WDW geek), the more I learn about the details of TBA (the rationale, the backstory, the AAs, the set pieces, etc.), the more I find to appreciate and look forward to. A lot of that has come through your contributions to this thread. Sometimes, in my zeal, I point out these details to naysayers in hopes they'll find something they can enjoy and look forward too, as well.

Of course, at the end of the day, people are entitled to their opinions and perspectives.

MerlinTheGoat

I guess I might be accused of trying to convince fellow fans to appreciate some of the things I like about this project (and others). I don't intend for it to come across as bullying anymore than when I try to convince my theme-park-avoidant friends to visit WDW, or my too-grown-up-for-comic-book friends to wade into the better parts of the MCU.

For me (as a WDW geek), the more I learn about the details of TBA (the rationale, the backstory, the AAs, the set pieces, etc.), the more I find to appreciate and look forward to. A lot of that has come through your contributions to this thread. Sometimes, in my zeal, I point out these details to naysayers in hopes they'll find something they can enjoy and look forward too, as well.

Of course, at the end of the day, people are entitled to their opinions and perspectives.
Then you've already shown a greater amount of understanding and courtesy towards people you don't agree with than some of the other comments i've seen.

If what i've been told abut the interior is accurate, then i'm still somewhat hopeful about that aspect at least. That's a big "if" however, as much as I trust who told me this there is a lot of conflicting information going around on that aspect. But at this point, the exterior and backstory are just bizarre to my eyes. There's a chance it'll look much better at night, assuming the render they showed off is accurate to what they build.

plutofan15

I agree, the whole thing feels like a downgrade in structure which matches with what Disney is about lately, downsizing everything in more ways than one. But not surprising since they did a patch job on the logs and not replaced the rabbits with a frog or something, anything, its already a bad sign that details may be less in this ride. I said it in the other thread but I think were in for another frozen ever after style budget thing here no matter what insiders may keep saying. It just spells corners being cut. I do hope that theory is totally wrong,,but so far....
Well, the attraction is not complete yet so perhaps the work is not done on the logs. Now if they look like this when it opens, then it would be an issue. Until then, I’ll wait to form an opinion.

TrainsOfDisney

Well, the attraction is not complete yet so perhaps the work is not done on the logs. Now if they look like this when it opens, then it would be an issue. Until then, I’ll wait to form an opinion.
Seems strange to wait until you are testing to rebuild the ride vehicles.

Taking a theme park icon and making it look so generic is beyond me from a marketing perspective but it doesn’t look bad which is more than I can say for the LAST time they rethemed an icon (looks at mission breakout with disgust)

MerlinTheGoat

Seems strange to wait until you are testing to rebuild the ride vehicles.

Taking a theme park icon and making it look so generic is beyond me from a marketing perspective but it doesn’t look bad which is more than I can say for the LAST time they rethemed an icon (looks at mission breakout with disgust)
I don't expect them to add new themed hood ornaments at this point at least. The physical patch looks "final" in the sense that it has been textured to look like the rest of the existing tree bark texture. So I don't think we'll see further ornamental detail, which is a real shame.

What absolutely needs to be done at the very least before opening though is to resurface and paint all of the damaged/faded/chipped parts. As well as to blend the mismatching colors of the patches on the hood. And i'll give them the benefit of the doubt that I think it will still be done. There's plenty of time. And nothing about testing the logs prevents them from doing this work at a later point in the construction process. It can be done relatively quickly, and they have ample spares that can be swapped in and out while cosmetic work is done to whichever ones aren't currently in use (which they may already be doing for all I know).

It's also extremely plausible that they're deliberately testing logs that are still in poor cosmetic condition to minimize any possible wear and tear that would affect a new paint job. Or as a precaution should any collisions or other accidents happen during testing that cause them damage.

Regardless, far too early to jump to conclusions. I just don't see them opening the ride with the logs in the condition they're in. It's such an obvious negative thing that would be hyper fixated upon (for good reason). Even prior substantial overhauls of Splash Mountain like the one back in 2013 came with refurbished logs.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

Continually replying to the same people over and over again with the same contrived explanations, when said people already said that they don't consider the explanation remotely acceptable or believable. Then calling into question their intelligence for not agreeing and saying "good day" with any further commentary now invalid and moot. Come on now, if that's not trying to bully and force someone into changing their opinion, I don't know what is...

I will throw my own hat into the discussion to say that the exterior doesn't remotely resemble any of the examples posted. At all-

View attachment 770624
View attachment 770623

These look NOTHING alike. And the thing is, i'm not even mad that it doesn't resemble those landmarks. As weird as the exterior currently looks, nothing about those real landmarks look like they would make for good and interesting fits for a theme park attraction either.

My biggest pet peeve is still the top of the structure being completely bald. Far too late for this, but they really should have gone with at least some variant of Mama Odie's tree and boat up there. Even if it needed to go through some conceptual/structural revisions to be built (the boat being moved down and embedded into the mouth of the cavern would have made even more sense and also taken a lot of weight off the tree). Just scrap the entire Avery Island and salt dome stuff entirely. It wouldn't have really fixed ALL of the problems entirely, but at the very least it would have been somewhat better...
It feels like if you took out the water tower it would belong in fantasyland, there’s a fairy tale whimsy to it now that is pretty honestly. but out of place maybe for Frontierland. I do understand the drastic change in look from Splash. This iteration is going to need to do all it can to create its own identity.

JustInTime

Not sure what the point of this post was, considering you didn't respond to my comment and intentionally shut down further discussion by closing with 'Good day'. But also, why jump in and comment at all if you don't care to actually reply to my comment?

I googled 'salt mine' and nothing even close to Tiana's Bayou Adventure popped up, though I do think the aesthetic of a few salt mines would fit a horror themed attraction well. It also blends in, and doesn't have that unique flair you'd expect of a headliner's façade at Disney's flagship resort.

My post was in good faith- your reply seems like it isn't. And what's the point of a discussion board if we can't, you know, discuss?

I mean, it’s been discussed to death here. I can’t blame them for not wanting to post the same replay for the 100th time when it’s readily available to anyone who wants to read the thread.

FettFan

Did they replace the briar patch with something yet or are we just taking a drop down the mound into the water below?

The top level is a swamp. The bottom level is still the American frontier/southwest.

The old Briar Patch shop didn’t seem to be changed at all when I was there last week…only with no briars, just red clay/rock and exposed roots.

I guess they are either saving that for later after the ride officially opens….or they still want it to still match the BTMRR area.

yensidtlaw1969

The top level is a swamp. The bottom level is still the American frontier/southwest.

The old Briar Patch shop didn’t seem to be changed at all when I was there last week…only with no briars, just red clay/rock and exposed roots.

I guess they are either saving that for later after the ride officially opens….or they still want it to still match the BTMRR area.
I believe there's still work to be done on the shop.

This project has been very well and tightly scheduled - attention went first to components of the ride upon which other elements were dependent. They've done a great job minimizing the amount of holdup integrated elements can sometimes suffer at the hands of Order of Operations.

We saw this recently - Flume Testing couldn't start with Scaffolding still on the drop, so finishing the parts of the Exterior closest to the drop were prioritized so that scaffolding could be removed as early as possible. Now scaffolding has moved to the other parts of the Exterior that do not effect the flume, so paint and finishing can continue alongside flume testing without either being held up by the other. This really is how it should be done, but it's rare these days to see Disney moving with such efficiency. Point being, work can be done on the former Briar Patch later (but probably before opening) once other priorities are squared away.

That said, I think the initial poster you were replying to was referring to the base of the Big Drop where the Briar Patch used to be, not the gift shop. To which I say the models and renderings show clearly that there's more to be installed in that space.

yensidtlaw1969

Models and renderings show clearly that more is to be installed in Toy Story Land too.
That's not really true, the model of Toy Story Land that was revealed to the public was accurate to what they built. Toy Story Land did release artwork prior to the design going though (unfortunate) revisions, but then they released updated artwork that reflected the new plans. Similar to Tiana's.

There's no real reason at this point to believe the finalized models and renderings for the TBA exterior will be significantly different from what's built.

ToTBellHop

1709212200658.gif

1709212263403.gif

Looks like Brer Cat and Brer Dog are causing some kind of commotion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom