News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

ToTBellHop

The drop is still 52 feet, and it looks like it.

Any child who would have been scared by seeing the drop on Splash will still be scared by this.

Seeing people plummet that fast from that high will be as deterrent as ever.
Exactly. Regardless of how it looks now, there will soon be logs plunging 52 feet with screams heard by the Liberty Tree Tavern. This will impact some 5-year olds.

RnRC does not have a scary story in the least, yet many are terrified as soon as they see a train launch.

No one will walk up to TBA expecting IASW.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'm wondering if there's not some conflated theories going on in here. The question is whether or not the intent was to make it appear less imposing.

Planned? A happy accident? Or just an overlay and nothing more? Such speculation gives Imaginneering both praise and criticism based on whom you ask. If intentional, it was surely done for reasons. What reasons? If not intentional, why does it appear that way to some and not others. All are worthy of discourse.

As to the idea of making it less thrilling, again something else entirely, I can't imagine it being any less so for reasons already outlined within this thread by others. Then it becomes not only a question of how, but why.

But I agree, two different things. I don't have anything to add, so I'm gonna dip out. ♫♪♪ Time to be moving along ♫♪♪

Last edited:

pigglewiggle

How can it be less thrilling when it is exactly the same height? You still know there is going to be a big drop when riding it, the anticipation is still there and most of all, you see the drop while you are at the top.

The argument this will be less thrilling is just non-sensical.

In the Parks
No
Sure, the Disney that got rid of Stitch's Great Escape for being too scary is the same Disney that is all about a bait-and-switch for children, enticing them to ride on something that *seems* not thrilling, only to make them cry later!

It doesn't look less thrilling to me.
I'm not saying they're doing a bait and switch for children. I'm saying that when you remove thorns and make the drop objectively harder to see (not a matter of opinion), you are removing a part of the thrill.

Likewise, when you remove a villainous figure from the plot, you remove some of the thrill. If Dr. Facilier were in this, I wouldn't be so adamant that they were trying to make it less thrilling. Facilier isn't in this ride for a reason, and it's objectively less scary without him.
How can it be less thrilling when it is exactly the same height? You still know there is going to be a big drop when riding it, the anticipation is still there and most of all, you see the drop while you are at the top.

The argument this will be less thrilling is just non-sensical.
I'm not saying the experience of the drop will be less thrilling. I'm saying it looks less thrilling. And without Facilier or some kind of high stakes, the ride in general will be less thrilling (and no, an ingredient missing and a party being ruined does not equal high stakes to me).

pigglewiggle

I'm not saying they're doing a bait and switch for children. I'm saying that when you remove thorns and make the drop objectively harder to see (not a matter of opinion), you are removing a part of the thrill.

Likewise, when you remove a villainous figure from the plot, you remove some of the thrill. If Dr. Facilier were in this, I wouldn't be so adamant that they were trying to make it less thrilling. Facilier isn't in this ride for a reason, and it's objectively less scary without him.

I'm not saying the experience of the drop will be less thrilling. I'm saying it looks less thrilling. And without Facilier or some kind of high stakes, the ride in general will be less thrilling (and no, an ingredient missing and a party being ruined does not equal high stakes to me).

Well in my youth I used to go on log flume rides with no theming at all, still thrilling. The story for Splash didn't make it thrilling for me at least, it was just the anticipation of the big drop, plus the small ones along the way.

In the Parks
No
Think of it this way: if my seven-year-old nephew were asking me to tell him a story, which one do you think would appeal to him more? A rabbit being chased by an evil fox who wants to eat him before the rabbit narrowly escapes through a clever trick OR a young entrepreneur traverses the bayou looking for a missing ingredient before finding it with the help of her magic friend. One of these stories is more thrilling than the other.

Sure, it's my opinion that this is less thrilling. But it's an opinion based on the evidence I see.

In the Parks
No
Well in my youth I used to go on log flume rides with no theming at all, still thrilling. The story for Splash didn't make it thrilling for me at least, it was just the anticipation of the big drop, plus the small ones along the way.
Sure, they're still thrilling! The drop is on display. Honestly, the ones at Six Flags Great America near me are kind of terrifying to look at, with their rusty appearance and leaks.

And the drop on Tiana will be the same. Still thrilling. But less so in its appearance.

JohnD

So let me get this straight. They remove the thorns which are part of the briar patch in the Splash Mountain theme and your response is, "See! They're purposely trying to make the ride less scary!" Got it.

JohnD

Um, no. One storyline is scarier than the other. That's all. They're choosing to make the ride based on the less scary storyline—even the least scary storyline possible with a PatF theme. That's not a conspiracy...it's an open choice!
You realize that isn't the reason it's Tiana and not Splash, right? I don't care to rehash that argument. It's still the same ascent and drop. Of course Briar Patch thorns will be removed and replaced with a bayou theme. Beyond that, your supposition is not "fact". It's your opinion. Let's move on.

In the Parks
No
You realize that isn't the reason it's Tiana and not Splash, right? I don't care to rehash that argument. It's still the same ascent and drop. Of course Briar Patch thorns will be removed and replaced with a bayou theme. Beyond that, your supposition is not "fact". It's your opinion. Let's move on.
Yes I'm well aware of why the change is being made. I was merely stating that it's not a conspiracy. The less thrilling storyline is a side effect of the change (though they could have done something scarier and more thrilling with Facilier, as many people here have agreed). But yeah, it's my opinion, see below:
Sure, it's my opinion that this is less thrilling. But it's an opinion based on the evidence I see.
The moderators will note that I have not once referred to TBA's predecessor by name in this current discussion.

retr0gate

Um, no. One storyline is scarier than the other. That's all. They're choosing to make the ride based on the less scary storyline—even the least scary storyline possible with a PatF theme. That's not a conspiracy...it's an open choice!
I don't think it's fair to assume that one storyline is more "scary" than the other with how little we actually know right now. A rabbit being chased by a bear and a fox certainly adds an element of suspense / tension to the ride, but I wouldn't call it "scary." Especially when you consider the actual story element to Splash isn't really revealed until you're actually on the ride, aside from some light teasing in the queue. There's no reason to assume TBA won't take the same approach, especially with how much of the ride experience itself they're keeping under wraps. We can't possibly know that the ride is devoid of all conflict until it opens and we can see for ourselves, or we're explicitly told so. First timers are not basing their decision to ride on the storyline, something they know nothing about if they haven't ridden before. They're basing it off the drop, briar patch or not.

Incomudro

You realize the thorns are removed because they have nothing to do with PatF?
The drop is "harder to see" (if indeed it actually is) because likewise it's in a more lush environment than one which was meant to go along with the more western look of Big Thunder and Frontierland.
I'm quite certain the view of the logs plunging down the drop is still readily viewable from many angles, particularly from the bridge.
The screams of riders will still be heard.
I don't believe Disney made any attempts to deliberately obscure the fact that there's a big drop.
Why would they want to trick little girls - or the parents of little girls, to get them on a ride only to fool them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom