News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I really, really like the realistic trees and logs so much more than the briar patch. A shame about the fence mural, though. Kind of hoping they at least distress it a bit and maybe add some moss or something to the fence to tone it down. Both sets of murals have really been my one disappointment in what we can see so far.
Florida Sun and rain is going to distress is pretty quickly regardless. Colors and paints that are exposed like that are always intentionally done bright and more vibrant that is actually intended because of how they fade in the sun. There's a reason nearly everything built looks a lot more natural after like 2 years as the overly bright colors fade and new plants have time to grow in.

No doubt in my mind that the murals will look much more subdued in time and the lush artificial plants will feel more at home not long after opening, but if they do too much weathering now then they'll look washed out pretty quickly

Bocabear

I really, really like the realistic trees and logs so much more than the briar patch. A shame about the fence mural, though. Kind of hoping they at least distress it a bit and maybe add some moss or something to the fence to tone it down. Both sets of murals have really been my one disappointment in what we can see so far.
I completely agree with all these sentiments...And while I will always be sad about losing Splash, I think the exterior of this attraction is looking great (except for the anachronistic murals) I am hoping they distress it right back to the wood it is painted on...lol It would be interesting to see them add some of these trees to the riverside of the esplanade... SO as you approach it feels like you are within the Bayou country...

Incomudro

I completely agree with all these sentiments...And while I will always be sad about losing Splash, I think the exterior of this attraction is looking great (except for the anachronistic murals) I am hoping they distress it right back to the wood it is painted on...lol It would be interesting to see them add some of these trees to the riverside of the esplanade... SO as you approach it feels like you are within the Bayou country...
I'm with you.
Much as I loved Splash, the aesthetics on the outside of this ride work better for me.

MerlinTheGoat

It's funny, the fence always looked temporary to me. What was its purpose?
I'm not entirely sure of its purpose. But there is a little reservoir of water behind that fence, and there might be some mechanical stuff they don't want seen. Otherwise I don't know. Tokyo doesn't have this fence, though they also don't have the mill either. That lift goes up through a cavern instead. With a small house and rockwork on the side where the fence would have been. Disneyland doesn't have the fence either, though is also a different ride system than the others.

I'd advocate just removing the fence outright if it's possible to do. It never looked particularly "good" to begin with, but it looks even worse and stands out like a sore thumb with that mural.

_caleb

I'm not entirely sure of its purpose. But there is a little reservoir of water behind that fence, and there might be some mechanical stuff they don't want seen. Otherwise I don't know. Tokyo doesn't have this fence, though they also don't have the mill either. That lift goes up through a cavern instead. With a small house and rockwork on the side where the fence would have been. Disneyland doesn't have the fence either, though is also a different ride system than the others.

I'd advocate just removing the fence outright if it's possible to do. It never looked particularly "good" to begin with, but it looks even worse and stands out like a sore thumb with that mural.
Thanks. Yeah, I grew up going to Disneyland, and I remember that fence (and the two-abreast seating on the logs) being something that stood out to me as major difference when I started going to MK.

MerlinTheGoat

You're right, just checked some old videos from the early 90s and it's not there. There was a railing with rope instead. Though I wonder why there specifically. There are all kinds of areas where someone could conceivably jump out of the logs.

celluloid

You're right, just checked some old videos from the early 90s and it's not there. There was a railing with rope instead. Though I wonder why there specifically. There are all kinds of areas where someone could conceivably jump out of the logs.
There is, but the stairs alongside and other aspects made it a bit different.

I was on this site when that fence wall was added.

Yes, I am old.

MerlinTheGoat

Looking through old videos, it appears that it was added between 2004-2005. Again though, I wonder what sort of safety concerns there were with this particular spot. If it's absolutely necessary, then I wish there was some better looking solution.

I also wonder if that's one of the reasons why the fence didn't appear in the TBA render for WDW. Perhaps whoever created it had art references from WDW's Splash from before the fence was installed. I get the sense that the mural may not have been planned initially, but was just tacked on a the last second when someone noticed the fence. Speculation though...

celluloid

Looking through old videos, it appears that it was added between 2004-2005. Again though, I wonder what sort of safety concerns there were with this particular spot. If it's absolutely necessary, then I wish there was some better looking solution.

That spot's stairs were very obvious and it was more common for bold guests to leap out there.
A continuation of the safety changes of one of the nastiest theme park deaths of the property's history. Much later of course, lap bars were added as a guest deterrent to help out as a deterrent with all of the other spots.

MerlinTheGoat

I'd have figured the final lift before the big drop would be a favorite choice for people to to try and jump out (and any where before the drops). Either way, I still think there has to be some sort of more subtle and better looking solution to this. Disneyland never added such a fence to theirs, and they're even more careful about safety than WDW.

The lap bars were a much more recent addition at WDW. I think Tokyo had them for a lot longer (not sure if it opened with them or not). But they were only added to WDW in 2011.

celluloid

I'd have figured the final lift before the big drop would be a favorite choice for people to to try and jump out (and any where before the drops). Either way, I still think there has to be some sort of more subtle and better looking solution to this. Disneyland never added such a fence to theirs, and they're even more careful about safety than WDW.
Well remember the lift where this wood is, is clearly near beginning of ride and walkways are visible. It is the first big lifthioonof.the ride and after you see the big drop(,many guests presume it is next where it is not) and the staircase and caverns to the Adventureland and frontier land corner is very obtainable by comparison to someone making that choice.
Lawyers and compromise safety has varies things
Disneyland's never added deterrent lapbars either.
That 2000s incident and clientele habits changed many things.

That is interesting that you find Disneyland to be more careful about safety.

MerlinTheGoat

When I say that Disneyland cares more about safety than WDW, I am referring to only after Pressler/Harriss era. And more specifically, not so much Disney itself but rather OSHA. Generally known for being much more demanding about safety regulations than Florida.

Though it does surprise me that Disneyland never redid their logs to implement SOME sort of restraining feature. Whether lap bars or seat belts. Unless that's not possible to do for some reason. I don't know whether there exists any other traditional log flumes with such restraints.

Brer Oswald

I also wonder if that's one of the reasons why the fence didn't appear in the TBA render for WDW. Perhaps whoever created it had art references from WDW's Splash from before the fence was installed. I get the sense that the mural may not have been planned initially, but was just tacked on a the last second when someone noticed the fence. Speculation though...
Perhaps it blocks the evac path from water spillover due to the water canons?

celluloid

When I say that Disneyland cares more about safety than WDW, I am referring to only after Pressler/Harriss era. And more specifically, not so much Disney itself but rather OSHA. Generally known for being much more demanding about safety regulations than Florida.

Though it does surprise me that Disneyland never redid their logs to implement SOME sort of restraining feature. Whether lap bars or seat belts. Unless that's not possible to do for some reason. I don't know whether there exists any other traditional log flumes with such restraints.
Dudley Doright's logs went from traditional seating to deterrent lapbars.
I would agree that Disney has more OSHA California specific situations. I don't think that translates to care as the previous things have caused enforcement. And Disneyland had perhaps the most egregious company at fault death accident in 2003.

I don't think that means Disneyland cares more about safety than WDW.
I would say that means Disneyland has more history in government regulation.

Last edited:

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
20240111_143458.jpg
20240111_143503.jpg

Photos from MickeyBlog — this is the first piece of merch for Bayou Adventure.

As seen on the back of the card, this is the Imagineer who designed the Tiana Animatronic, so this concept art could have some importance for the ride itself. My first thought was that this is general art and maybe something we will see in the queue, but what if that's the outfit Tiana is going to be wearing in the finale and the missing ingredient is the tiara? 👀

I could easily see Imagineering loving the idea of a callback to the movie ending the ride with her in this new outfit, and a new tiara like she had as a kid. The fact that this tiara pin is the FIRST piece of merchandise, on top of multiple pieces of art, makes me think this is the storyline.

Dear Prudence

View attachment 762578View attachment 762579

Photos from MickeyBlog — this is the first piece of merch for Bayou Adventure.

As seen on the back of the card, this is the Imagineer who designed the Tiana Animatronic, so this concept art could have some importance for the ride itself. My first thought was that this is general art and maybe something we will see in the queue, but what if that's the outfit Tiana is going to be wearing in the finale and the missing ingredient is the tiara? 👀

I could easily see Imagineering loving the idea of a callback to the movie ending the ride with her in this new outfit, and a new tiara like she had as a kid. The fact that this tiara pin is the FIRST piece of merchandise, on top of multiple pieces of art, makes me think this is the storyline.
Truthfully, I don't understand why they didn't lead with something like this instead of spinning on pointless stuff like the tiles on the ground or the weather vane. Clearly, this woman has some really great credentials. Her topiary work is great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom