News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
What’s more impressive is that ‘90s Imagineers made a bayou look natural in Frontierland.

This time around, they are making no such attempt.

It should look great snuck in next to Haunted Mansion in DL, though.

Thats Magic Kingdom's major problem...the forced DL perspective.

MerlinTheGoat

What’s more impressive is that ‘90s Imagineers made a bayou look natural in Frontierland.

This time around, they are making no such attempt.

It should look great snuck in next to Haunted Mansion in DL, though.
MK's Splash mostly didn't take place in a bayou, that's why it fit as well as it did there. The imagineers fundamentally altered the setting to take place in a countryside in Georgia, leaning more heavily on the film's setting. That's why the exterior used such bright red clay. The soundtrack at MK was also very bluegrassy instead of DL's jazz.

Even the interior scenes reflect this setting. Instead of just weeping willow vines covering the ceiling at DL, WDW's used more maples/oaks/etc that populate that region of the US. Instead of traveling through a dark bayou with mostly blacked out walls, WDW had rolling green hills of farmland and bright sunny blue skies painted on the walls.

1702583481149.jpeg

They actually put some effort into the Big Thunder transition. You started in Liberty Square, which are the original colonial states. Then as you walk further around the river, you pass alongside a "deep south" region of the US. Tennessee (Country Bears), Missouri (Tom Sawyer) and Georgia (Splash Mountain). Then you reach Big Thunder, which is based on Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah. The only minor disruptor to this gradual progression westward was Pecos Bill (Texas).

This is all getting thrown out the window with Tiana. It'll work out perfectly as an extension of New Orleans Square at DL. But no thought whatsoever was put into its placement at MK.

Bocabear

And really it would be pretty simple to make the Tall Tale Cafe more of New Orleans series French Quarter buildings... more of a New Orleand Corner than the full Disneyland "square" it would at least set up the area placemaking better than Western Frontier to New Orleans and then immediately back to the Western Frontier....

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah there were rumors that Disney was considering retheming the Pecos Bills corner to a New Orleans French Quarter area. I've heard these rumors independently from the Twitter sources too. I'll admit this would probably be the best way to handle this area versus just leaving it as-is. Having a Tiana-themed restaurant in this area seems like something Disney would be on board with too. But I don't know if anything was ever approved, I haven't heard anything about this since it was first reported.

_caleb

This is all getting thrown out the window with Tiana. It'll work out perfectly as an extension of New Orleans Square at DL. But no thought whatsoever was put into its placement at MK.
I really liked your post until I got to this part, which assumes some things I don’t think you actually know.

MerlinTheGoat

I really liked your post until I got to this part, which assumes some things I don’t think you actually know.
You are incorrect in that assessment. While I don't require insider knowledge to know this, I was indeed specifically told that TBA was custom designed for its location at Disneyland as a natural extension of the already directly connecting New Orleans Square (Pooh being the only intrusion). I was also told that no such planning effort was given to its WDW counterpart. I don't know why anyone needed to be told this, as it's quite obvious this is the case. But for what it's worth, yes I was specifically told that this is indeed the case.

There again was a pitch to retheme the Pecos Bills corner into a mini French Quarter area with a rethemed restaurant for Tiana. Which would at least improve the setting of the ride to some extent. However, this idea was cobbled together after TBA was already finalized and began construction. It wasn't planned from the start of the TBA project. What was told to me specifically is that this wasn't approved when the rumors first hit the internet, and would be a long-term plan that wasn't a sure thing. I don't even know if its still being considered as a future plan anymore either. The Country Bears show changes were announced at D23, but no signs of the Pecos Bill retheme.

_caleb

You are incorrect in that assessment. While I don't require insider knowledge to know this, I was indeed specifically told that TBA was custom designed for its location at Disneyland as a natural extension of the already directly connecting New Orleans Square (Pooh being the only intrusion). I was also told that no such planning effort was given to its WDW counterpart. I don't know why anyone needed to be told this, as it's quite obvious this is the case. But for what it's worth, yes I was specifically told that this is indeed the case.
I guess I misunderstood, then. So by, "no thought whatsoever was put into its placement at MK," you mean "no plans were made prior to greenlighting for WDW the version originally planned for DL?"

Because now, as they're building it, don't you think they're giving at least some thought to how it's going to work into its placement in MK?

Also, are you suggesting we can expect the MK version to be identical to DL's?

_caleb

Why did they simply not have Big Thunder and Splash switch places?

Have two teams work simultaneously on each structure, so that progress completes at the same time. This way, the transition will be more natural, with Big Thunder next to Pecos Bill.

This is the only way to maintain consistency in that area of the park.
You're asking why they don't tear down two e-Ticket attractions just to rebuild each of them 400 feet from where they currently stand?

MerlinTheGoat

I guess I misunderstood, then. So by, "no thought whatsoever was put into its placement at MK," you mean "no plans were made prior to greenlighting for WDW the version originally planned for DL?"

Because now, as they're building it, don't you think they're giving at least some thought to how it's going to work into its placement in MK?

Also, are you suggesting we can expect the MK version to be identical to DL's?
What i'm saying is that the ride was first designed with the DL location in mind. That version was the original primary version and received the most attention and care for where it was being placed. WDW's was later also approved. And while the idea to clone it at WDW was probably made fairly soon after the DL version was thought up (if not close to the same time), they did not put the same thought into where they would be placing it.

If they ever approve French Quarter alterations to the Pecos Bills corner, that would at least help mitigate around half of TBA's placement issues. The lefthand side would fit better. But it would still be right next to Big Thunder on the ride side, and would not have the benefit of Splash's Georgia setting and red dirt to help it blend in.

As for how close the ride will be to DL, i'm less knowledgeable. Some of the interior will naturally need to be different just because of the different room sizes and layouts. But the source still expected a lot of the setpieces and animatronics would be copy/pasted between both wherever possible. We have a good idea of what the exterior will look now though. Which again, is very swampy. They're trying to make the rides as similar as possible.

ToTBellHop

Yeah there were rumors that Disney was considering retheming the Pecos Bills corner to a New Orleans French Quarter area. I've heard these rumors independently from the Twitter sources too. I'll admit this would probably be the best way to handle this area versus just leaving it as-is. Having a Tiana-themed restaurant in this area seems like something Disney would be on board with too. But I don't know if anything was ever approved, I haven't heard anything about this since it was first reported.
Yes, I’ve discussed that proposal as well. I presume they would be starting a Pecos Bill conversion in January if it was the plan. So I’m guessing not. Part of that hinged on Coco getting replacement Tex-Mex. Coco seems to have moved to DAK so I guess Pecos Bill lives on, even if he is FAR more problematic than the bears next door.

Ever seen that cartoon? Oof.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom