News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

James Alucobond

It's not the attraction marquee. The attraction name is not "Tiana's Foods".

EDIT: It's difficult to respond when you continue editing after a response has been offered. If you can't follow what has been said, I can't help. Nothing I've said is confusing. I have responded to your posts directly. You continue to hop from one point to another, so you may be confusing yourself.

celluloid

EDIT: It's difficult to respond when you continue editing after a response has been offered. If you can't follow what has been said, I can't help. Nothing I've said is confusing. I have responded to your posts directly. You continue to hop from one point to another, so you may be confusing yourself.
It a marquee staple in world. It is her company. It is the thing your attention is drawn to. But fair enough. It is not the attraction's name.
So what other prominent themed feature of an attraction has non diegetic lighting pointing to it with little attempt to conceal? There is nothing else on the scale in the area for a reason. It is a decline of the standard.

James Alucobond

The thing to compare it to would be other restaurant or shop signs in the area, of which I have given examples where the modern lighting is plainly visible. I don’t see why scale is relevant. If anything, the fixtures on the tower will draw less attention because they will be farther away from guests on top of a platform that viewers are looking up at from the bottom, assuming the fixtures go up there at all and are unthemed.

celluloid

The thing to compare it to would be other restaurant or shop signs in the area, of which I have given examples where the modern lighting is plainly visible. I don’t see why scale is relevant. If anything, the fixtures on the tower will draw less attention because they will be farther away from guests on top of a platform that viewers are looking up at from the bottom, assuming the fixtures go up there at all and are unthemed.
What restaurants or shops have original unthemed or no attempt at concealed lighting?

James Alucobond

I already said in previous posts that I suppose you didn't fully read, but Diamond Horseshoe has clearly modern fixtures that don't match the other lanterns on the building at all and are angled downward, allowing you to see the bulbs when underneath.
diamond_horseshoe.png

Even ones that have a sort of light patina or a bit of mine light look like those on Pecos Bill and Frontier Mercantile are flimsily themed, with more modern-looking armatures and positioning, such that they really don't look any different from the outdated night shot you provided for Tiana.
1701952739959.jpeg

Roger_the_pianist

To keep with theme I guess we should remove ALL electricity from Frontierland. Also, all modern restrooms will be demolished and outhouses will be constructed along the Rivers of America.

If anything, placing 1927 on the water tower shows we are moving away from a strict Frontier theme, opening the area to more potential for relevant experiences.

PizzaPlanet

This doesn’t make much sense in Frontierland, but it’s easier to accept if you view it as a mini land along the river. Kind of like a smaller New Orleans square in Disneyland.

JoeCamel

I just pee on the walkway in Frontierland and have for decades because in the Magic Kingdom, some things should never change.
Well yeah, the middle in front of Liberty Tree Tavern is the preferred option right? Already got the flow going....
15 years ago it would have been preferable to the tiny holes above the lobby, their stank was amazing for a Disney restaurant but so in theme.

Bocabear

But they certainly are cramming "Tiana's Foods" down our throats...lol SO it is no wonder people will think the attraction is called Tiana's Foods....
I guess it is like Big Thunder Mining Company, but the presence of Tiana's foods seems so much more pronounced....Certainly heavy handed...

celluloid

I already said in previous posts that I suppose you didn't fully read, but Diamond Horseshoe has clearly modern fixtures that don't match the other lanterns on the building at all and are angled downward, allowing you to see the bulbs when underneath.
View attachment 757899

Even ones that have a sort of light patina or a bit of mine light look like those on Pecos Bill and Frontier Mercantile are flimsily themed, with more modern-looking armatures and positioning, such that they really don't look any different from the outdated night shot you provided for Tiana.
View attachment 757904

Perhaps you misread where I have been saying original. Declining by degrees has been occuring for awhile. Why would we go back to what was done to a lesser extent compared to what was learned. Things should constantly improve and certainly not dip. If the best conceptual artists of the company also do not know this, pirates or not, than Imagineering's leadership is indeed as bleak as it appears.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Your point has changed from “this will look wrong in Frontierland” to “two lighting fixtures specifically may look out of place if an outdated rendering is realized” to “broadly, things are declining by degrees and the fixture theming here exemplifies that” to “other marquees aren’t treated this way” to “well, I guess I mean newer marquees based on more recent standards; don’t look at the signs on the buildings that will be adjacent to this.”

I have no intention of continuing to go around in circles on different tangents when my only point is that, to date, what we see aesthetically from the front of the attraction does not feel out of place. Nothing more, nothing less. I share concerns others have with some of the queue elements and the time period.

celluloid

Your point has changed from “this will look wrong in Frontierland” to “two lighting fixtures specifically may look out of place if an outdated rendering is realized” to “broadly, things are declining by degrees and the fixture theming here exemplifies that” to “other marquees aren’t treated this way” to “well, I guess I mean newer marquees based on more recent standards; don’t look at the signs on the buildings that will be adjacent to this.”

I have no intention of continuing to go around in circles on different tangents when my only point is that, to date, what we see aesthetically from the front of the attraction does not feel out of place. Nothing more, nothing less. I share concerns others have with some of the queue elements and the time period.
Dude. Read my posts. I have said original lighting for awhile. You just think what is written, like EST. 1927 can't be anachronistic because it is in a retro font.
If you can't see the degrees declining, then don't be so shocked that you don't like the mural. That is how it works.

SpectreJordan

It's because the physical space demands something else. When you have full control over the design of the space, screens can be done correctly, and they can do things physical setpieces can't, like with the rising of the ships from the depths in Shanghai's Pirates. You can also have characters enter, exit, and animate in ways that are not possible for animatronics. That said, you can also get lazy and park people in front of screens, and screens can be used as a crutch even when wholly unnecessary. But I don't really have anything against them in principle.
Screens are best used for backgrounds & quick moments. I think Rise of the Resistance does that pretty well; great sets, some cool animatronics & screens are largely used in the background.
On the bright side, maybe this will make Disney realize they have to try harder with EVERY new ride they make. Like, now they've shown people that they CAN do better, so how pathetic would it look if their next ride after Tiana was a massive downgrade?

But I doubt that'll happen.
I hope so. But I feel we'd need to get more Eisner-style leadership to get that again; someone who understands theme parks.

I will say, it's hard to fully get this message across when they're making admittedly great screen-based attractions like Flights of Passage & Cosmic Rewind though. You need higher ups who see the difference between those two & Runaway Railroad or whatever.

James Alucobond

Dude. Read my posts. I have said original lighting for awhile.
“Original” to me means lighting that was original to Frontierland, like the Diamond Horseshoe and Pecos Bill lighting examples I provided above. I don’t even know what you’re talking about. I assumed by posting again you meant that the examples I gave weren’t what you were talking about, but you’re making discussion impossible.

You just think what is written, like EST. 1927 can't be anachronistic because it is in a retro font.
If you can't see the degrees declining, then don't be so shocked that you don't like the mural. That is how it works.
I never said any of this. I am not shocked. I am not saying there is no decline. I made one statement about the appearance of the front of the mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom