News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

splah

It would be interesting to create a sequel movie and the sequel be about the creation of Tiana’s Foods, tying the attraction to the movie.
for me it's the dissonance between animals playing instruments, interacting/talking with each other (will louis speak english in the ride) and the harsh, cold landscape of a corporate structure. why and how do you mash these two different worlds together into something that resonates?

celluloid

Right. They’re marketing Tiana. To me, this makes sense because that’s who the movie, the ride, and (presumably) the upcoming Disney+ series are about.

But it sounds like you’d like it to be something other than this?

That last part of the post, is the issue Disney has.
They are marketing Tiana. This is a Bayou Adventure with her as the starring role, bht all they have done is marketed her ownership. Not much adventure
Your post and response wonderfully point out the issue. They don't need to market Tiana. They need to be marketing a theme park attraction. They are.marketimg a character. This is what has been explained to you.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm super excited for this. I'm facinated by Tiana's company employee owned co-op concept. I'm hoping Imagineering will shed more light on this story idea. We dont know yet who is invested and who is not. How does she split the profit with her staff?. We also dont know much about the salt mine part of this co-op yet. Is the salt mine also employee owned too?

Anyway, my kids and I are excited to get to WDW to see this attraction and find out the answers!
Living with the land would have made a better platform for this ride, such a missed opportunity, they could have taken advantage of the longer ride time to really dig into the intricacies of running a salt mine based food co op.

_caleb

for me it's the dissonance between animals playing instruments, interacting/talking with each other (will louis speak english in the ride) and the harsh, cold landscape of a corporate structure. why and how do you mash these two different worlds together into something that resonates?
Have you seen The Princess and the Frog? It’s about a young woman who wants to open a business.

The ride, it seems, is going to be set in the year after she succeeded in opening that business.

_caleb

They are marketing Tiana. This is a Bayou Adventure with her as the starring role, bht all they have done is marketed her ownership. Not much adventure
Your post and response wonderfully point out the issue. They don't need to market Tiana. They need to be marketing a theme park attraction. They are.marketimg a character. This is what has been explained to you.
I mean, aren’t they marketing that it’s Tiana’s Bayou Adventure? It’s right there in the name.

I don’t think it’s a matter of marketing either only the thrill or only the main character. But the marketing around Splash sort of focused on the drop (again, in the name). It seems with TBA, they’re making it more character driven. Even if some fans would prefer they focus on the thrill.

I imagine they’ve probably want to avoid comparisons w/Splash. It’s still early, though. I’m hoping the D+ series builds anticipation for the ride. And

celluloid

I mean, aren’t they marketing that it’s Tiana’s Bayou Adventure? It’s right there in the name.

I don’t think it’s a matter of marketing either only the thrill or only the main character. But the marketing around Splash sort of focused on the drop (again, in the name). It seems with TBA, they’re making it more character driven. Even if some fans would prefer they focus on the thrill.

I imagine they’ve probably want to avoid comparisons w/Splash. It’s still early, though. I’m hoping the D+ series builds anticipation for the ride. And
Naming something is not the same as the verb of marketing it.
Again, there inlies the distaste and lack of excitement many are having for it. They are marketing a ride, as the TV series that was supposed to be near coming out by now with the main character, not the attraction.

splah

Have you seen The Princess and the Frog? It’s about a young woman who wants to open a business.

The ride, it seems, is going to be set in the year after she succeeded in opening that business.
right but she's in the magic/frog realm while interacting with animals in the movie. does she now have the ability to talk to animals in the "real" world. they were separate in the film

in the world of the movie the humans see the animals only as animals and are scared of a giant alligator

i agree, if we're going on an adventure in the bayou why do we need to know all this other stuff. maybe the PR is saving the ride details as a surprise, but if that's the case. pull a universal and keep everything under wraps. if i were in charge of marketing and saw all the negative pushback for each of these "research" posts i wouldn't post any more. they rip the bandaid off, put it back on then rip it off again with each post.

celluloid

It is glaringly clear that this project, including marketing is a giant billboard that needs to hold up the show that he's yet to be released. Not an attraction for the theme park on its own merit.

celluloid

Now imagine, it's 2009 and Disney markets the movie Princess and The Frog, and does so telling you it is about a girl who wants to open a business so badly, but her dad died. It comes out in eight months.

If you think the movie The Princess and The Frog is about a young woman who wants to open a business...
you don't understand what the word "about" is vs a character motive.

_caleb

i agree, if we're going on an adventure in the bayou why do we need to know all this other stuff. maybe the PR is saving the ride details as a surprise, but if that's the case. pull a universal and keep everything under wraps. if i were in charge of marketing and saw all the negative pushback for each of these "research" posts i wouldn't post any more. they rip the bandaid off, put it back on then rip it off again with each post.
We don’t need to know all the other stuff because it’s incidental to the story of the ride. But they (WDI) do need to know it, so they can build an attraction that makes sense.

Some of us think the backstory details are fun because they let us in on what the Imagineers are thinking. Like when they spun the whole story of Batuu and how it’s a remote outpost.

But I also think they’re feeling extra pressure to keep this ride from receiving uncharitable interpretation. The backstory of empowerment and community investment is probably intended to stave off critical speculation of Tiana’s business practices in that particular time and place.

_caleb

Now imagine, it's 2009 and Disney markets the movie Princess and The Frog, and does so telling you it is about a girl who wants to open a business so badly, but her dad died. It comes out in eight months.
I get what you’re saying. I just don’t think this is what they’re doing. I think many people connect with Tiana as a character. You’re right that it wouldn’t be a compelling way to promote the first film, but that’s because we didn’t know Tiana at that point.

Now, loads of people love the character and care about what happened to her after the events of the film. The backstory details are teasers that help establish the setting. I don’t think Disney is under the impression anyone is going to book a vacation just to learn more about co-ops or salt mining.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas Disney Fan

Like when they spun the whole story of Batuu and how it’s a remote outpost.

The problem is they’re marketing this in a way that makes it feel like they're making the same mistakes with this ride they made with Galaxy’s Edge… we all wanted to step into the Star Wars we’ve known and loved since we were kids, instead we got a hyper realistic world loosely based on the movies but missing nearly everything we love about them, it feels like we’re getting the same with Tiana, we want to step into the world we know and love from the movie, instead it sounds like we’re getting a hyper realistic food coop world based on Tiana business acumen.

It appears from the renderings we’re getting the bayou ride we hope for but you’d never know that from the backstory, the walls around the ride, etc.

celluloid

The backstory details are teasers that help establish the setting. I don’t think Disney is under the impression anyone is going to book a vacation just to learn more about co-ops or salt mining.

Disney is under the hope that people will book a trip for this new ride and spend ancillary money.
The critique with how this ride is marketed badly is very valid.

Backstory is a nice bonus to things, but that is all that has been marketed about the Bayou Adventure.

Disney never marketed the flood that caused Splash Mountain. It was there for those to enjoy if they cared to observe it. It is appreciated, but not necessary. They hyped what the ride would be about and feature.
The salt mine and ownership has been beaten to death and nothing else is known, and anything being worked on shown is still in far too early stages for this thing to be opening in less than a year.

_caleb

instead it sounds like we’re getting a hyper realistic food coop world based on Tiana business acumen.

It appears from the renderings we’re getting the bayou ride we hope for but you’d never know that from the backstory, the walls around the ride, etc.
That's fair. I think all the little details are just meant to help with placemaking and setting. We (fans) maybe over-analyze these things, and Disney probably loves that. But I can see how that might make it seem like they’re over emphasizing details at the expense of simple messaging about the ride and its storyline.
The salt mine and ownership has been beaten to death and nothing else is known,
Where are you seeing overt marketing for TBA? I’ve been paying attention, and so far I’ve only seen teasery-type things on social media like the inspiration art. To me, that just feels like fandom fodder to get the projects on people’s radar rather than proper marketing to try to get people to come to the Parks. Possible I’m missing something, though.

Also, haven’t they hinted at a few elements of the actual storyline? A missing ingredient and a Mardi Gras party?

Last edited:

TP2000

Nothing is “timeless”. The Princess and the Frog would have been a very different film had it been made in the mid-twentieth century, just as I’m sure the film will look very old-fashioned fifty years from now.

I don't think it will take that long. It only took 31 years for Splash Mountain to go from being a wildly popular new animatronic log ride at Disneyland to being an embarrassingly awful mistake that must be shut down and replaced (But not for three more fiscal years, because it apparently wasn't that awful. Also because of ride capacity. And fiscal years. And Genie+. And no in WDI even knew this was going to be a thing until Iger blurted it out).

Using that timeline, we only have to wait until 2055 for Tiana's Bayou Adventure to be embarrassingly awful and replaced by whatever stylish IP might be kind of related to a log flume ride in Frontierland if you squinted and ignored a few things.

Except even though Tiana's Bayou Adventure will be embarrassingly awful in 2055, we have to wait for 2059 for its replacement.

Last edited:

celluloid

That fair. I think all the little details are just meant to help with placemaking and setting. We (fans) maybe over-analyze these things, and Disney probably loves that. But I can see how that might make it seem like they’re over emphasizing details at the expense of simple messaging about the ride and its storyline.

Where are you seeing overt marketing for TBA? I’ve been paying attention, and so far I’ve only seen teasery-type things on social media like the inspiration art. To me, that just feels like fandom fodder to get the projects on people’s radar rather than proper marketing to try to get people to come to the Parks. Possible I’m missing something, though.

Also, haven’t they hinted at a few elements of the actual storyline? A missing ingredient and a Mardi Gras party?

I Mastered in Digital Marketing and while that does not mean everything, I can assure you, the budget and years paired with physical and mediums that this has produced is not fodder. Feeling is not fact. Millions of dollars oddly spent.

You don't see Overt Marketing for The Mountain attraction that opens in The Magic Kingdom in less than a year and you feel what you have seen is online fodder, once again, your posts point to the ernest(not the guy who was the first to ride Splash either) problem at hand.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I don't think it will take that long. It only took 31 years for Splash Mountain to go from being a wildly popular new animatronic log ride at Disneyland to being an embarrassingly awful mistake that must be shut down and replaced (But not for three more fiscal years, because it apparently wasn't that awful. Also because of ride capacity. And fiscal years. And Genie+. And no in WDI even knew this was going to be a thing until Iger blurted it out).

Using that timeline, we only have to wait until 2055 for Tiana's Bayou Adventure to be embarrassingly awful and replaced by whatever stylish IP might be kind of related to a log flume ride in Frontierland if you squinted and ignored a few things.

Except even though Tiana's Bayou Adventure will be embarrassingly awful in 2055, we have to wait for 2059 for its replacement.

You appear to have misread my post. I was talking about the film.

As for the ride, it may indeed end up being itself replaced one day. The same holds true for pretty much any theme-park attraction.

Incomudro

The problem is they’re marketing this in a way that makes it feel like they're making the same mistakes with this ride they made with Galaxy’s Edge… we all wanted to step into the Star Wars we’ve known and loved since we were kids, instead we got a hyper realistic world loosely based on the movies but missing nearly everything we love about them, it feels like we’re getting the same with Tiana, we want to step into the world we know and love from the movie, instead it sounds like we’re getting a hyper realistic food coop world based on Tiana business acumen.

^^ Very much so. ^^
I'm getting the same feeling from Disney's approach and marketing of this ride, as I got from the way they handled the Starcruiser as well.
Disney has some great sources to work with as of late but they don't seem to know how to handle them.

Sir_Cliff

^^ Very much so. ^^
I'm getting the same feeling from Disney's approach and marketing of this ride, as I got from the way they handled the Starcruiser as well.
Disney has some great sources to work with as of late but they don't seem to know how to handle them.
Reading @Vegas Disney Fan's post also made me think of the Starcruiser marketing. When people started going on it we heard positive things, but they really bungled the launch to the extent that they had to quickly delete their first promo video because it made the experience look so bad.

I also suspect from the promo art that this will be a fun ride through the bayou with music and audio animatronic animals. For some reason, though, the information they keep putting out focusses on food co-ops and salt mines. I even think the information about the mural would have been better received if people had more confidence that the ride was going to be fun. Instead, it reinforces the notion the whole project is driven by earnestness around the message of the project with the ride experience as an afterthought.

yensidtlaw1969

right but she's in the magic/frog realm while interacting with animals in the movie. does she now have the ability to talk to animals in the "real" world. they were separate in the film

in the world of the movie the humans see the animals only as animals and are scared of a giant alligator

Isn't Louis playing in Tiana's restaurant by the end of the movie? Clearly that issue is at least partly resolved within the events of the film. No reason that can't be the case in the ride as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom