News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

LittleBuford

Right, but since the crown is there, it's not separable. It is an out of place design because it is a post 1920s water tower. Not an 1800s frontier one.
The water tower looks like (and, according to the backstory, is supposed to be understood as) a preexisting structure that was adapted when Tiana took over the site and added the crown to it. There is nothing about the water tower itself that reads as 1920s. Here, for comparison, is the water tower at Goldfield Ghost Town:

medium.jpg

celluloid

The water tower looks like (and, according to the backstory, is supposed to be understood as) a preexisting structure that was adapted when Tiana took over the site and added the crown to it. There is nothing about the water tower itself that reads as 1920s. Here, for comparison, is the water tower at Goldfield Ghost Town:

medium.jpg

Yes, note what you quoted from me abut the fact that the finished product has the crown, means it is now the 1920s. That is the difference.

Haunted Mansion with a Neon Sign would not feel very Liberty Square inspired would it?

LittleBuford

Yes, but the fact that the finished product has the crown, means it is now the 1920s. That is the difference.

Haunted Mansion with a Neon Sign would not feel very Liberty Square inspired would it?
I prefer the murals (or what we’ve seen of them) to the crown. However, I find the crown—which at least looks true to the aesthetic of the film—less stylistically intrusive than the murals. It’s fine if you disagree.

celluloid

I prefer the murals (or what we’ve seen of them) to the crown. However, I find the crown—which at least looks true to the aesthetic of the film—less stylistically intrusive than the murals. It’s fine if you disagree.

It is cool that it is less intrusive to you. But it still admits that it is not in theme.

That was my point.

You(and others so I was not targeting just you but you quoted me) finally found what you don't like about the thematic clash.

You were cool with 1920s on the inside,

You were cool with the crown signage on the watertower.

Now you are not cool with it when we got to the Mural of animated world in the real one.

LittleBuford

It is cool that it is less intrusive to you. But it still admits that it is not in theme.

That was my point.

You finally found what you don't like about the thematic clash.

You were cool with 1920s on the inside,

You were cool with the crown signage on the watertower.

Now you are not cool with it when we got to the Mural.
I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. This is not the first time I’ve criticised aspects of the retheme. I am generally for the project but have disliked a number of decisions they’ve announced thus far and am keeping an entirely open mind for the final result (including the possibility that I may hate it).

LittleBuford

Now you are not cool with it when we got to the Mural of animated world in the real one.
You edited this after my initial reply. This is actually my biggest issue with the mural: it doesn’t look like it comes from the animated world of the film at all. It looks decidedly like it’s trying to imitate a real-world mural associated with the 1920s jazz scene.

celluloid

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. This is not the first time I’ve criticised aspects of the retheme. I am generally for the project but have disliked a number of decisions they’ve announced thus far and am keeping an entirely open mind for the final result (including the possibility that I may hate it).

That's ok. I am saying don't be shocked that the mural is there because its being themed to a princess Mardi Gras Adventure. It seems on brand to what they are doing. What we are all seeing, is that many don't like what they are doing with it.

celluloid

You edited this after my initial reply. This is actually my biggest issue with the mural: it doesn’t look like it comes from the animated world of the film at all. It looks decidedly like it’s trying to imitate a real-world mural associated with the 1920s jazz scene.

This is confusing. I thought you said it was jarring because it was on the outside. But now you say it matches the real world of the 1920s but it should not be on the outside?

I think the Mural is gaudy, but pretty on par so far with the "Almost There" and Mardi scenes of the movie and what has been presented for the ride. Right down to the sign that was first announced to this to a post 1920s Mardi Gras theme. I find it jarring, because its in Frontierland. But not shocking of what they are doing.

James Alucobond

This is confusing. I thought you said it was jarring because it was on the outside. But now you say it matches the real world of the 1920s but it should not be on the outside?

I think the Mural is gaudy, but pretty on par so far with the "Almost There" and Mardi scenes of the movie and what has been presented for the ride. Right down to the sign that was first announced to this to a post 1920s Mardi Gras theme. I find it jarring, because its in Frontierland. But not shocking of what they are doing.
What about the crown looks specifically like the 20s? It seems a bit more art nouveau to me, which originated in the late 1800s. Frontierland has always been a bit of a 19th century hodgepodge, with 1830s/40s for Tom Sawyer, Reconstruction era for Splash, etc.

celluloid

What about the crown looks specifically like the 20s? It seems a bit more art nouveau to me, which originated in the late 1800s. Frontierland has always been a bit of a 19th century hodgepodge, with 1830s/40s for Tom Sawyer, Reconstruction era for Splash, etc.
The fact that the crown within the story is added as the Established date of the company. It is literally in the show writing.
It is not just that it looks far beyond the era. The storyline with Tiana wallows in it. If you are good with that's that is fine, but don't bend the reality.

Last edited:

Epcot81Fan

Agree!

I think it looks exactly like those giant crowns on those water towers over employee owned food co-ops in the 1930’s!

It’s almost like a picture straight from a history book!

celluloid

Agree!

I think it looks exactly like those giant crowns on those water towers over employee owned food co-ops in the 1930’s!

Oh come on. We can surely justify it as Art Nouveau. It is not like we have show writing showcasing that this was hung by a crane in 1927 with a photo of the founders in its backstory...
1693439063408.png

James Alucobond

The fact that the crown within the story is added as the Established date of the company. It is literally in the show writing.
It's. It is not just that it looks far beyond the era. The storyline with Tiana wallows in it. If you are good with that's that is fine, but don't bend the reality.
Just like rafts and whatnot from Tom Sawyer would have been constructed in the 1830s and the structures on Big Thunder are stated to have been built late- to post-Gold Rush? I just don’t really understand the obsession with the date on which things were canonically constructed in a land that has never been too fussed with such things in the first place. You have always been able to look out across the Rivers of America and see a wide variety of different time periods represented.
Agree!

I’m sorry, did you think Frontierland was a historical facsimile and not a whimsical interpretation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom