Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Rich T

I think the point I was trying to make is that up until '96ish, decisions made at Disneyland were by and large designed to improve the place as a whole. Splash Mountain was designed in such a way to work seamlessly with that half of the park, and has for 30 years. And it's strength as an attraction is matched only by Mansion and Pirates. And maybe Indy.

Now this isn't the case- no one can argue that Pixar Pier was actually an improvement. And whether Guardians is an improvement over ToT is a tossup, I know each have fans. Those additions had other motives.

So while Tiana's Splash will be popular- and for all I know it could be better than Splash (I wouldn't bet on it though), there's a real risk that any initial popularity will fade over time and that Disneyland's thematic integrity will be weakened over the long term.

I wonder if Disneyland will suffer a death of 1,000 cuts- if they're making too many changes that don't resonate with guests, or are just inherently lower quality, and unless there's a course correct it will not have the brand recognition and public love it's enjoyed until now.

I'm curious to keep an eye on the next 10 years.
I agree with just about everything you said—although as someone who grew up with the parks pre-Splash Mtn., I’ve never quite seen it as the equal of Pirates or HM (close, though). A lot was promised and hyped up during Splash’s construction, building expectations sky-high, and though I loved the ride when it opened, I also was very aware of the ways in which it didn’t *quite* get everything right or live up to the hype.

And, for me and a lot of other older Disney fans, it kinda wrecked a huge part of what made DL wonderful pre-Splash, and set the stage for all the cartoonification that is wrecking thematic integrity throughout both resorts to this very day—but I’ll save that discussion for later when the dust settles. It was, first and foremost, a great ride that made millions of people happy.

All my talk about the uniqueness of its signature element (the big drop) remaining is just part of my attempt to be optimistic.

PiratesMansion

I agree. I said it a few days ago, but I strongly believe DL fans are going to give WDW fans a run for their money once ours closes, whenever that’ll be. I expect singing, chanting, clapping, and more. That area will be clogged.

I think Disney is smart enough to not close this unexpectedly out here, potentially meeting the wrath of DL fans (not that they truly care). An extreme, indeed.
I wonder if, for this reason, they may opt to give a closing date that's both definitive enough to plan for but not precise enough to pinpoint from afar so as to limit mayhem (which the area between Mansion and Splash really can't handle too much of IMO).

"Splash Mountain, closing in May"-and then just not mention when the last day in May actually is, or something to that effect.

There is a part of me mildly concerned that some of the more...ahem...extreme SaveSplashers (used in this context, I don't believe to be referring to anyone who has posted recently in this thread) might try to make some kind of scene because they'll see it as their "last chance" to make a statement. I hope that's an overblown concern on my part but based on some parts of the internet (not here)...I don't know if that possibility can be entirely discounted.

Especially if we're at the point where we're "just asking questions" about the closing of the WDW version on CNN now.

Last edited:

Stevek

I mean- I get it. Splash is my favorite thing at Disneyland, as far as I'm concerned this Tiana thing is a completely separate ride (that I will likely never ride).

So I can understand why someone would differentiate Splash Water from Tiana water- it'd be like saying Tower of Terror is the same as Guardians. Even if I think purchasing theme park water is a bit extreme. To put it politely.
But it's really not. It's all the same water.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Getting my leftover jars ready now. Need to find the top for my money-maker on the far left. I’m ready to cash in.

90D11CBF-422C-4A5D-9C8A-B45B5601003B.jpeg

73331D40-2831-4895-BDBE-E5145DFEDC1D.jpeg

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I rode Disneyland's Splash Mountain yesterday and just close the thing now and get on with the change. The ride is so broken down in so many parts.
Here's a list of all the broken effects I could spot in a recent POV:

How Do Ya Do?
  • First goose on left and right only moving their heads
  • Second goose in top hat and vest neck slumped to one side
  • One frog missing
  • Quartet of geese past Br’er Gator in darkness
  • Goose with oar next to Br’er Gator only moving his mouth
  • Stump goose only moving his mouth
  • Br’er Bear not moving arms in trap
  • Donkey across from Br’er Fox and Bear in complete darkness
  • Br’er Rabbit and Br’er Turtle show lights out
  • Br’er Turtle not moving
  • Handcar Br’er Rabbit lights out
  • Br’er Rabbit only going up and down, not shaking when giggling

Laughin’ Place/Burrow’s Lament/Big Drop
  • Only one spinning beehive working
  • Br’er Bear with beehive completely still
  • First stork missing
  • Goose and Hen in Laughin’ Place mouths not working
  • Rowboat Dog stationary
  • Saddlesore Swanson not moving body
  • Mother possum stuck turned away from babies
  • No baby rabbits moving
  • Tied up Br'er Rabbit not moving mouth or body/feet

Finale
  • Brer Raccoon not swaying back and forth
  • Guitar Gator not moving mouth
  • First wolf (fox?) on flower cart has head slumped forward
  • Female cats on flower cart not moving
  • Zip A Dee Lady not rocking
  • Fox on right of showboat barley moving body
  • Can can Geese moving slower than other animals on boat
  • Paint visibly scraping off walls in finale cavern
  • Finale Brer Rabbit only moving head
  • Barnaby Owl not moving yet audio playing

BasiltheBatLord

Even if I think the movie's offensive aspect is more overstated than it actually is, no way would I go around wearing a Song of the South shirt. That's just asking for trouble.
When I was 9 years old I wore a "Br'er Rabbit Misses Song of the South and So Do I" shirt (out of my own volition I'll mention) to Magic Kingdom. Got some positive remarks from CM's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom