Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

I dare you to find something as charming as these guys on TBA.

5D5909DA-FCD9-4C68-A027-3C1E1328DCBB.jpeg

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Agree mostly. For me the frog scenes seem to work better than the Find the band scenes that replaced the old How Do You scenes. But yes, all scenes are massive downgrades from what existed previously and that CGI Tiana is horrendous. I guess they re thinking 3D figures so 3D animation makes more sense. But Why? It's not as if that crappy 3D animation is helping us suspend disbelief to a greater degree. I think it's doing the opposite. Maybe it's just that the animation is awful but I think the rule should be if a character is on a screen in an attraction, it should be in its original animated form. It seems counterintuitive but I think this way it would feel more organic and that the audience would prefer it that way. Actually maybe it’s not counterintuitive. The closer the characters look to the to their original form the easier it is for the audience to suspend disbelief whether they are in the form of a figure or on a screen.

Agreed re: the 3D animation. It’s completely misguided. That moment is barely even necessary from a story perspective; there are so many better ways WDI could’ve communicated to riders that they’ve been turned into frogs. I’m sure countless better ideas were in fact proposed and then rejected due to budget-slashing.

The issue of 2D/3D incongruity… I mean, imagine WDI making that a priority given the state of the rest of the ride haha. But I’d contend it’s a non-issue; Alice in Wonderland is a very different type of ride, but it (IMO) successfully features both a 2D animated and 3D physical representation of its title character. It just doesn’t really matter that much. There’s no excuse for that screen in Tiana’s.

I actually think the critter band scenes are better than the frog/pre-lift hill scenes. Don’t get me wrong, the characters are 100% downgrades from the Marc Davis designs, the staging is terrible, etc etc. But every time I watch a POV, my brain simply cannot accept that the critter band stuff is anything other than filler set-dressing fluff before the actual story begins. The problem is… the story never actually begins. That realization sets in right around the time we encounter crazy-eyed CGI Tiana. And then the long lift hill of nothing.

mickEblu

I pray WDI excludes it from our version. The ride is beyond saving, but there are things they could do to make it less of a trainwreck.

There are so many little things they could that would make it at least 50% better. Getting rid of Tom Staggs Tiana is a big one as well as getting rid of Mama Odies lift hill screen and just doing something, anything with the lift hill. Turn off the motion sensors or whatever they are and put all audio on a loop. Add some new less juvenile dialogue to mix it up.

The old How Do You Do scenes require a bit more work. Those new figures need to move from center stage and be used as fillers. Invest in some better mid tier AAs and/ or bring back some of the America Sings AA’s.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

There are so many little things they could that would make it at least 50% better. Getting rid of Tom Staggs Tiana is a big one as well as getting rid of Mama Odies lift hill screen and just doing something, anything with the lift hill. Turn off the motion sensors or whatever they are and put all audio on a loop. Add some new less juvenile dialogue to mix it up.

The old How Do You Do scenes require a bit more work. Those new figures need to move from center stage and be used as fillers. Invest in some better mid tier AAs and/ or bring back some of the America Sings AA’s.

The whole ride should be sung through like Splash was.

The whole "Tiana wakes up and addresses the log before going asleep until the next one" doesn't work. And it isn't natural or convincing.

This ride should feel like we floated into the musical number in a classic Walt Disney Animation film.

mickEblu

The whole "Tiana wakes up and addresses the log before going asleep until the next one" doesn't work. And it isn't natural or convincing.

This ride should feel like we floated into the musical number in a classic Walt Disney Animation film.

Thats a great point and not anything I've suggested in my Fix TBA posts lol. Wonder why they didn't do that in the first place? God forbid Tiana isn't looking at us ant talking to us like we're watching something on Disney Junior or Louis doesn't tell us how great they can Play 6 times!

Brer Oswald

Agreed re: the 3D animation. It’s completely misguided. That moment is barely even necessary from a story perspective; there are so many better ways WDI could’ve communicated to riders that they’ve been turned into frogs. I’m sure countless better ideas were in fact proposed and then rejected due to budget-slashing.

The issue of 2D/3D incongruity… I mean, imagine WDI making that a priority given the state of the rest of the ride haha. But I’d contend it’s a non-issue; Alice in Wonderland is a very different type of ride, but it (IMO) successfully features both a 2D animated and 3D physical representation of its title character. It just doesn’t really matter that much. There’s no excuse for that screen in Tiana’s.

I actually think the critter band scenes are better than the frog/pre-lift hill scenes. Don’t get me wrong, the characters are 100% downgrades from the Marc Davis designs, the staging is terrible, etc etc. But every time I watch a POV, my brain simply cannot accept that the critter band stuff is anything other than filler set-dressing fluff before the actual story begins. The problem is… the story never actually begins. That realization sets in right around the time we encounter crazy-eyed CGI Tiana. And then the long lift hill of nothing.
I’ve been on the Florida version of this thrice. Trust me when I say the Laughing Place “replacement” is better than the preceding “bayou” scenes. Granted it is because of the kinetics of the jumping fountains and the lighting which illuminates what remains from the superior attraction. But it’s still a better sequence than the 5 or 6 scenes that precede it.

The lift hill though? That might be the worst part of the attraction.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It’s absolutely wild they landed on this approach. Splash was right there in front of their faces as a template to follow.

As for scenes requiring dialogue, I guess this team of Imagineers is unfamiliar with the Pirates “cocktail party” technique.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I don’t even know where to start in terms of “fixing TBA,” but scrapping the Tiana/Louis and Mama Odie screens would be a fantastic start. They actively hurt the ride.

If they put the current audio on a loop and ditch the motion sensors, won’t it look like every Tiana AA is talking to nobody before we get to her? WDI shot themselves in the foot with that approach; it’s not clear to me how they can easily fix it (since it’s not just asinine, it actually is not functional).

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I’ve been on the Florida version of this thrice. Trust me when I say the Laughing Place “replacement” is better than the preceding “bayou” scenes. Granted it is because of the kinetics of the jumping fountains and the lighting which illuminates what remains from the superior attraction. But it’s still a better sequence than the 5 or 6 scenes that precede it.

The lift hill though? That might be the worst part of the attraction.

Interesting. POVs make it seem like the bayou critter band scenes at least establish something of a mood. Whereas the mood of the frog scene is “here’s where we ran out of money/ideas.”

I can’t imagine ever riding the MK version, so I’ll take your word for it. We shall see how the sequences compare on Disneyland’s version.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
I don’t even know where to start in terms of “fixing TBA,” but scrapping the Tiana/Louis and Mama Odie screens would be a fantastic start. They actively hurt the ride.

If they put the current audio on a loop and ditch the motion sensors, won’t it look like every Tiana AA is talking to nobody before we get to her? WDI shot themselves in the foot with that approach; it’s not clear to me how they can easily fix it (since it’s not just asinine, it actually is not functional).
Splash did the looping audio in Disneyland perfectly decades earlier. It worked because, as mentioned, logs fly through the scenes so the more bite sized audio works, vs. Magic Kingdom's where logs slowed down for show scenes where they could do more full dialogue lines.

Example -

Which is where the concern of them trying to cram the scenes in WDW into DL's layout come from since it's more small and compact.

mickEblu

Lol good point. It wouldn’t work for any solo AAs. Those could stay programmed to talk to us with hopefully better dialogue. But would work for any AA in the vicinity of other figures which I believe are most of them?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom