Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Ghost93

In a perfect world a better name may have been CRITTER BAYOU - but that ship has sailed.
Critter Bayou would have been better.
We’ve seen plenty of examples of right hand not talking to left.

There were rumours from credible sources prior to D23 about Magic Kingdom “redistricting” CBJ and TBA into a Florida version of Critter Country. A bunch of people pointed out that it made no sense given the “critter” name was specifically chosen due to its association with the Brer Rabbit stories. A few weeks later, D23 happened and we got the “Bayou Country” announcement.

Could be a coincidence, but how weird would it be for them to suddenly back out of the “critter” verbiage after they’ve used it so much already. “Critter Co-Op”, “Critter Club”, on the ride they say “those Critter’s can play!” nearly a dozen times.
There's nothing wrong with the word "Critter" but in the 80s the Disney company made a big deal of Critter Country being named after a Song of the South/Uncle Remus quote so I imagine that's part of why the name of the land itself is changing.

They also might feel renaming the land might draw extra attention to the area and Tiana's Bayou Adventure, and draw more interest.

Brer Oswald

Critter Bayou would have been better.

There's nothing wrong with the word "Critter" but in the 80s the Disney company made a big deal of Critter Country being named after a Song of the South/Uncle Remus quote so I imagine that's part of why the name of the land itself is changing.

They also might feel renaming the land might draw extra attention to the area and Tiana's Bayou Adventure, and draw more interest.
That was my point. But Disney themselves doubled down on the usage of the word “critter” with TBA. It’s plastered all over the Florida version. It’s used more frequently than it ever was for Splash.

Then suddenly, a bunch of fans bring up the point you made, and Disney announces a new name for the land in California? Call me a conspiracist, but I don’t think a name change was always in the cards. The evidence certainly suggests they were planning to keep it the same.

Ghost93

That was my point. But Disney themselves doubled down on the usage of the word “critter” with TBA. It’s plastered all over the Florida version. It’s used more frequently than it ever was for Splash.

Then suddenly, a bunch of fans bring up the point you made, and Disney announces a new name for the land in California? Call me a conspiracist, but I don’t think a name change was always in the cards. The evidence certainly suggests they were planning to keep it the same.
Does it matter if changing the name of the land was always in the cards? The Disney leadership of today is completely different from the 1980s. It's very possible that modern Disney leadership forgot the origins of the name "Critter Country" and only recently was reminded that the name of the land also had ties to SOTS.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
We’ve seen plenty of examples of right hand not talking to left.

There were rumours from credible sources prior to D23 about Magic Kingdom “redistricting” CBJ and TBA into a Florida version of Critter Country. A bunch of people pointed out that it made no sense given the “critter” name was specifically chosen due to its association with the Brer Rabbit stories. A few weeks later, D23 happened and we got the “Bayou Country” announcement.

Could be a coincidence, but how weird would it be for them to suddenly back out of the “critter” verbiage after they’ve used it so much already. “Critter Co-Op”, “Critter Club”, on the ride they say “those Critter’s can play!” nearly a dozen times.
Sorry but to me that all comes across coincidence. Mods deleted a bunch of the posts, so a lot of the context is gone. But to me, as the saying goes correlation is not causation.

But I leave open the possibility of what you guys are saying could be even partially true since I don’t know for sure. But honestly I ask does it even make a difference at this point, the lands name is changed. So just call all the “critter” references now just a nod to the past.

Brer Oswald

Does it matter if changing the name of the land was always in the cards? The Disney leadership of today is completely different from the 1980s. It's very possible that modern Disney leadership forgot the origins of the name "Critter Country" and only recently was reminded that the name of the land also had ties to SOTS.
It’s just proof of how disorganized the company is. Going heavy on the “critter” usage for the recently opened Florida version of the ride while simultaneously pulling back on it for the California version? Doesn’t exactly seem like a well oiled operation.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It’s going to be brutally depressing riding this thing when it opens (but I have to ride it at least once). I expect it will just “feel” wrong. Where there used to be a bunch of wacky characters laughin’ it up in the Laughing Place and all those cute baby critters in the Burrow’s Lament scenes, now there will be 3 frog figures with minimal movement and an absolutely dreadful CGI Tiana screen. WDI carelessly trashed the work of talented, passionate artists and replaced it with lowest-common-denominator mediocrity, made as cheaply and (seemingly) as thoughtlessly as possible. The ride as a whole is a trainwreck, but those scenes in particular are indefensible.

mickEblu

It’s going to be brutally depressing riding this thing when it opens (but I have to ride it at least once). I expect it will just “feel” wrong. Where there used to be a bunch of wacky characters laughin’ it up in the Laughing Place and all those cute baby critters in the Burrow’s Lament scenes, now there will be 3 frog figures with minimal movement and an absolutely dreadful CGI Tiana screen. WDI carelessly trashed the work of talented, passionate artists and replaced it with lowest-common-denominator mediocrity, made as cheaply and (seemingly) as thoughtlessly as possible. The ride as a whole is a trainwreck, but those scenes in particular are indefensible.

Agree mostly. For me the frog scenes seem to work better than the Find the band scenes that replaced the old How Do You scenes. But yes, all scenes are massive downgrades from what existed previously and that CGI Tiana is horrendous. I guess they re thinking 3D figures so 3D animation makes more sense. But Why? It's not as if that crappy 3D animation is helping us suspend disbelief to a greater degree. I think it's doing the opposite. Maybe it's just that the animation is awful but I think the rule should be if a character is on a screen in an attraction, it should be in its original animated form. It seems counterintuitive but I think this way it would feel more organic and that the audience would prefer it that way. Actually maybe it’s not counterintuitive. The closer the characters look to the to their original form the easier it is for the audience to suspend disbelief whether they are in the form of a figure or on a screen.

Last edited:

Disneyland/DCA

Agree mostly. For me the frog scenes seem to work better than the Find the band scenes that replaced the old How Do You scenes. But yes, all scenes are massive downgrades from what existed previously and that CGI Tiana is horrendous. I guess they re thinking 3D figures so 3D animation makes more sense. But Why? It's not as if that crappy 3D animation is helping us suspend disbelief to a greater degree. I think it's doing the opposite. Maybe it's just that the animation is awful but I think the rule should be if a character is on a screen in an attraction, it should be in its original animated form. It seems counterintuitive but I think this way it would feel more organic and that the audience would prefer it that way.
Seriously. Didn't they learn their lesson from the little mermaid ride?

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
My main issue with CocoMelon Tiana (That's what me and my friends call the Giant Tiana scene) is how fast you're gonna zip by the scene in DL's version. For WDW's the dialouge cycles are-

[Louis] “Hmmmm y'all got Itty bitty little buddies!”
[Tiana] “But you found the sound I was craving!”

[Louis] “Y'all small as frogs!”
[Tiana] “Ha! Been there, done that! But you found the sound I was craving!”

[Louis] “Wow! This joint is hopping!”
[Tiana] “These tiny musicians you found really bring the heat!”

[Louis] “Huh, how'dyou get so teeny-weeny?!”

But you can hear the full thing since you're going so much slower, mean while at DL boats fly through scenes. Which means you'll hear maybe half of Louis' dialouge before you're past and the next music is starting. If they were smart they'd adjust it to fit, but I have a sneaking suspicion they're just gonna recycle every line from WDW's so the spacing will be an absolute mess and make an already convoluded plot even less coherent.

mickEblu

My main issue with CocoMelon Tiana (That's what me and my friends call the Giant Tiana scene) is how fast you're gonna zip by the scene in DL's version. For WDW's the dialouge cycles are-

But you can hear the full thing since you're going so much slower, mean while at DL boats fly through scenes. Which means you'll hear maybe half of Louis' dialouge before you're past and the next music is starting. If they were smart they'd adjust it to fit, but I have a sneaking suspicion they're just gonna recycle every line from WDW's so the spacing will be an absolute mess and make an already convoluded plot even less coherent.

LOL @ CocoMelon Tiana. Spot on.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
LOL @ CocoMelon Tiana. Spot on.
"Y'all wanna learn to count to 5 with me and Louis?"
tianas-bayou-adventure-review-does-it-have-the-spe-2.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not to sound snarky but I'm sure you can just posting on a Disney Fan site, but in real world execution its probably not that easy. So many things need to change when you start making such changes in an attraction, in how everything from technology being used to construction of solution to pacing to testing, etc. So its not as simple as you believe.
You missed the fan creedo...

If you can type it, you can do it!

Ghost93

Ideally this segment is eliminated entirely from the Disneyland version, as it's the worst part of the ride. Very Disney Jr. Esque.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom