Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

eddie104

because Song of the South exists so far outside their understanding of the “Disney” film/tv universe.

I’d wager these same people prefer Runaway Railway to Great Movie Ride, Frozen Ever After to Maelstrom, and are genuinely excited for the Country Bear Disney Singalong. They’re not wrong or lesser fans, but they have a very different relationship to Disney and the parks than I do.
Really ???

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Really ???

My point is that for some of us, our love of the parks is not tied to our love of Disney as a brand. The parks used to be their own thing. Not everything was tied to a popular Disney IP; the parks were their own IP, comprised of Small World, CBJ, Tiki Room, CoP, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Pirates, Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Horizons, Imagination, Great Movie Ride, Countdown to Extinction, Everest, etc.

For other fans, it makes no sense for attractions to exist without an IP tie-in. So a Tiana re-theme is automatically an improvement.

Basketbuddy101

I’d wager these same people prefer Runaway Railway to Great Movie Ride, Frozen Ever After to Maelstrom, and are genuinely excited for the Country Bear Disney Singalong. They’re not wrong or lesser fans, but they have a very different relationship to Disney and the parks than I do.
Don't forget IncrediCoaster to Screamin' and Mission Breakout to Tower, both objective downgrades, both received positively by middle-of-the-road fans.
My point is that for some of us, our love of the parks is not tied to our love of Disney as a brand. The parks used to be their own thing. Not everything was tied to a popular Disney IP; the parks were their own IP, comprised of Small World, CBJ, Tiki Room, CoP, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Pirates, Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Horizons, Imagination, Great Movie Ride, Countdown to Extinction, Everest, etc.

For other fans, it makes no sense for attractions to exist without an IP tie-in. So a Tiana re-theme is automatically an improvement.
I think it's such an important distinction you've made. They've blurred the line between both the parks division and every other division of the company. I'd argue the incessant push for IP and cost-effective re-skins like this one are the death of the parks.

TP2000

Every Imagineer (and even executives like D’Amaro) just seems absolutely terrified whenever they must speak extemporaneously. This company’s culture must be dreadful.

Interesting point. They all seem to have good-to-great public speaking skills, which most folks do when you get to that level of senior executive. And they're smart and have English as their first language. So those aren't communication problems for them.

You are right, in that it does appear that all of these senior execs from both WDI and the Parks all seem terrified to deviate just a tiny bit from the prepared and pre-approved Talking Points they've all been given and all keep repeating. Who is holding them to that robotic and cringey standard I wonder? And they're even an entertainment company, they aren't making medical supplies or nuclear reactors.

Technically, these people are alleged to be showmen and storytellers. So why do they all talk like that now? 🧐

TP2000

Charita Carter seems very likable and sincere. I don't get the same feeling after watching Carmen Smith. Felt like she had an axe to grind. Perhaps she just doesn't come across well but is very likable too.

Do you have the link to the Carmen Smith interview? I'd love to compare/contrast the two.

Ms. Carter does seem like a normal, fun, smart person. Again, being seated next to her at a dinner party would likely be the makings of a lovely and charming evening. But in this interview, you can see her brain lock up and she starts saying her pre-approved Talking Points and it just goes sideways.

Rich T

…They’re not wrong or lesser fans, but they have a very different relationship to Disney and the parks than I do.
Oh, I’m sure they’re wonderful people and they’re certainly entitled to their opinions…but I would never ask them for an entertainment recommendation. 😄

And I think the Tiki Room finale where the Gods are angered by all the celebratin’ is 100 times more dramatic than anything that happens in TBA. Heck, the suspense of finding out how far the boats are backed up at the end of Small World is more dramatic.

Also waiting for the BANG of the MK Teacups’ braking system…

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Wanna cringe?

What the heck!

TP already hit the nail on the head regarding the HR points- but like why doesn't she talk about the ride being fun? Easter eggs for repeat riders to spot? No one rides a log ride to relate to the character. I loved Splash Mountain and at no point did I feel like I related to a singing bunny. It was just a great ride with great music.

But she also talks like all guests are five years old or something. No one over the age of five would buy into this crap.

And I know I shared this on here already, but let's compare it to Bruce Gordon talking about Splash Mountain. He just spends 30 minutes talking about how fun the ride will be, the unique stuff they added, and he talks about the inspirations from previous Disney attractions and actually talks as if the rider is a functional person.

Figments Friend

Bruce Gordon for the win!

He hung out with some pretty cool guys, too…!

IMG_3888.jpeg

Brer Oswald

What the heck!

TP already hit the nail on the head regarding the HR points- but like why doesn't she talk about the ride being fun? Easter eggs for repeat riders to spot? No one rides a log ride to relate to the character. I loved Splash Mountain and at no point did I feel like I related to a singing bunny. It was just a great ride with great music.

But she also talks like all guests are five years old or something. No one over the age of five would buy into this crap.

And I know I shared this on here already, but let's compare it to Bruce Gordon talking about Splash Mountain. He just spends 30 minutes talking about how fun the ride will be, the unique stuff they added, and he talks about the inspirations from previous Disney attractions and actually talks as if the rider is a functional person.

I felt I related to the singing bunny. Well…not physically of course. But he was this little guy that had to use his brain to outwit the big bullies chasing him. Perhaps he got a little carried away with his tricks and trolls, and that got him into trouble that he had to think his way out of.

Honestly, the older I get, the more relatable Brer Rabbit feels. In the pantheon of Disney stories, his is probably one of the easiest to apply to a large majority of people. I know I certainly have no interest in opening a restaurant.

SuddenStorm

I felt I related to the singing bunny. Well…not physically of course. But he was this little guy that had to use his brain to outwit the big bullies chasing him. Perhaps he got a little carried away with his tricks and trolls, and that got him into trouble that he had to think his way out of.

Honestly, the older I get, the more relatable Brer Rabbit feels. In the pantheon of Disney stories, his is probably one of the easiest to apply to a large majority of people. I know I certainly have no interest in opening a restaurant.

Of course, this is in large part because Br'er Rabbit is from African folklore. His experiences and tales were designed to be applicable life lessons for many.

TP2000

Charita Carter has an infectiously positive energy about her. I like it. Even if I don't like the way the ride turned out, you can tell he effort was genuine.

Agreed. You can just tell that she's fun, and charming, and sharp.

She seems like the type of lady where if you found yourself seated at a dinner party and the place card at the seat on your right said "Charita", you'd know you'd have a fun evening gabbing and laughing with her. At least until the second course, when you had to turn to your left and deal with whoever that was. 🧐

And yet, even for charming and talented executives like Ms. Carter, somehow Disney's current 2020's corporate culture sucked all of the genuine personality and showmanship out of her, and by 60 seconds in to this interview she was left just blabbering nonsensical stuff like "Everybody is invited, that is the message!"

TP2000

This is the most ridiculous, shill article I have ever read in my life. Worth reading for a laugh.

So, I see that the LA Times no longer has the far more professional and objective E. Scott Reckard covering Disneyland and SoCal theme parks. I'm surprised what with all their recent layoffs and downsizing that the LA Times even has someone available to cover stuff like this.

But.... of course. He loved it. It was amazing. And so welcoming. And so equitable. And so inclusive. 🤢

Don't worry. On their current trajectory, I doubt the LA Times will even exist by the time the next E Ticket opens in Anaheim.

TP2000

LA Times: The ride puts an emphasis on dioramas rather than feeding us a plot.

Disney PR and the actual ride explaining the plot and lore:
View attachment 791111

Isn't that great?!?

Honestly, you couldn't make up this level of bizarre nonsense if you tried. Even if you locked me and @Figments Friend and @mickEblu and @Phroobar and @Rich T and @SuddenStorm and @Consumer and a few others in a WDI conference room with six bottles of Scotch and four dozen New England lobster rolls for 2 days, we still couldn't have come up with a queue backstory 100 times more involved than the actual "Find a Band!" plotline of the ride itself.

Only a truly disconnected and clueless group of HR managers could do this. We are mere mortals in their shadow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom