Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

Disneyland doesn't need two attractions with bayou scenes. Especially since the 2024 attraction isn't doing anything meaningfully different than the 1967 attraction.

Not to mention the 1967 bayou works because it's merely the opening credits to the movie. Not the movie itself.

Reminds me, "Adventure" is so over used. What a waste to use it on the Tiana ride where there is none. At least Tiana's Bayou Splash would have made sense.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Has anyone transposed MK's Tiana scene-by-scene onto the Disneyland flume? Totally guessing...

Br'er Bear caught in Br'er Fox's trap --> 6-critter zydeco band

Donkey --> Tiana saying "They can play! No doubt. We'll ask them to join the band for sure."

Br'er Rabbit & Br'er Terrapin --> Tiana, Louis, & 2 critters "My my, this band can jam!"

Hitchhiking Alligator --> Tiana saying "They can play. We'll definitely invite them to the party! But we gotta keep searching high and low" / Louis "How low can I go?"

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Not to mention the 1967 bayou works because it's merely the opening credits to the movie. Not the movie itself.

Wow, I hadn't even thought of this. Not only do we already have a ride with a bayou sequence, it's simply the preface to a more epic adventure.

Reminds me, "Adventure" is so over used. What a waste to use it on the Tiana ride where there is none. At least Tiana's Bayou Splash would have made sense.

It was already an embarrassing trend for the "artists" at WDI, but TBA is the worst example yet. Gathering musicians for a party is not an adventure.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Another great picture!
😍

I am pretty sure I recall reading some of Tony’s comments years ago about what it was like to have that responsibility of moving and keeping the ‘America Sings’ figures operational.
He enjoyed that show back when it was running, and he loved those character figures so wanted to do what he could to try to save them.
So they were included in the cast for ‘Splash Mountain’ almost from the start.

Some claim the figures were only saved because ‘Splash Mountain’ was way over budget and it was a desperation move.
They couldn’t afford the time or money for new figures, so reused the recently evicted critters from ‘Sings’.
I don’t buy that story…as I know I have heard Tony say he wanted to save those figures and they were always planned to be included in the ‘Zip-a-Dee River Run’.
The early storyboards and concept works show this to be true.

-

I can't wait to hear Tony weigh in on Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

Sharon&Susan

1718084670805.jpeg

This version of the ride looks more like an adventure then the one we got.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I envision magnetic brakes all the way down. Then a self-affirmation “You Did It! You're so Brave!” song in the ex-splash runoff tunnel.

And hand everyone a star sticker at the exit.

Haha. Seriously though. Can't believe the number of people defending TBA's lack of conflict/drama/plot/suspense, insisting Splash's story beats were simply unnecessary. According to one prominent commentator: Pooh doesn't have suspenseful story moments; why does Splash need them?

TP2000

Another great picture!
😍

I am pretty sure I recall reading some of Tony’s comments years ago about what it was like to have that responsibility of moving and keeping the ‘America Sings’ figures operational.
He enjoyed that show back when it was running, and he loved those character figures so wanted to do what he could to try to save them.
So they were included in the cast for ‘Splash Mountain’ almost from the start.

Some claim the figures were only saved because ‘Splash Mountain’ was way over budget and it was a desperation move.
They couldn’t afford the time or money for new figures, so reused the recently evicted critters from ‘Sings’.
I don’t buy that story…as I know I have heard Tony say he wanted to save those figures and they were always planned to be included in the ‘Zip-a-Dee River Run’.
The early storyboards and concept works show this to be true.

-

That's about what I expected, thank you for confirming!

America Sings didn't close until the spring of '88, a year before they wanted Splash Mountain open. There's no way they would have started construction on Splash in April '87 if they didn't already know where all the animatronics were going to come from.

I loved America Sings, it was just a real family favorite for us in the 70's and 80's. We never skipped it. But when the AA's showed up in Splash Mountain a year later, it definitely softened the blow.

Rich T

…According to one prominent commentator: Pooh doesn't have suspenseful story moments; why does Splash need them?
Good grief! 😄 Does that person not realize that Splash Mountain was praised BECAUSE it used its drops to emphasize danger points in the story?

And even Pooh features the characters facing home-destroying winds, a flood and thieving monsters. TBA is too timid to offer even those kind of mild obstacles to overcome.

Do the defenders really believe TBA’s happy-happy grinfest is a satisfying “ADVENTURE?” If so… if what they really wanted was Small World with a 50 foot drop… cripes, they can have it. 😄

TP2000

Good grief! 😄 Does that person not realize that Splash Mountain was praised BECAUSE it used its drops to emphasize danger points in the story?

And even Pooh features the characters facing home-destroying winds, a flood and thieving monsters. TBA is too timid to offer even those kind of mild obstacles to overcome.

No kidding. My youngest nephew rode Pooh when it opened in '03, and the Heffalumps and Woozles scene scared him, he hid in his dad's side until we got back outside, and it gave him nightmares for the rest of the trip. His older brother still teases him about that to this day, once they've both had a glass of whiskey or Scotch.

With the exception of Small World, Tiana's Bayou Adventure is the only Disney dark ride in existence that has absolutely no danger, no villain, or no threatening environments of any kind. And it's boring as all heck because of that.

Rich T

IMG_9380.jpeg

See, now, this… THIS is an ADVENTURE. This DESERVES to have the word in its title. With three minutes of fictional peril, this roller coaster spins a simple, effective tale: Hagrid, being Hagrid, did not see the flaw in his lesson plan, and now you’re on a sentient, runaway motorbike.

It’s simultaneously thrilling and funny, perfectly in character, builds satisfyingly to a climactic peril/rescue/escape finale and ends with my favorite closing lines of all time: “I’d be grateful if you didn’t mention any of this to anyone back at Hogwarts. See you next lesson!”

No moral, no lesson (wonderfully ironic because it literally takes place during a lesson) and no forced-smile, hollow self-affirmation party. Just survival and FUN (and a unicorn encounter your teacher has just asked everyone to keep quiet about).

It only features a handful of AAs, but each one is used effectively. The coaster would still be thrilling without the story, but it’s the story—the ADVENTURE—that leaves everyone with huge smiles on their faces and warm fuzzies in their hearts.

Now if they’d just shorten the name… Wait a second—Tiana can have the superfluous words!

Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure
Tiana’s Magical Creatures Bayou

There— Fixed both! 😃

Last edited:

Rich T

I wish the ride actually jumped a shark. That would be an adventure!
I can’t believe they went to such effort to remove all the fun and thrills of the PatF IP.

It’s like if they remodeled Alice in Wonderland so that instead of going to Wonderland, you just go to a bland normal tea gathering at Alice’s house and everyone’s polite and telling everyone how special they are.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I can’t believe they went to such effort to remove all the fun and thrills of the PatF IP.

It’s like if they remodeled Alice in Wonderland so that instead of going to Wonderland, you just go to a bland normal tea gathering at Alice’s house and everyone’s polite and telling everyone how special they are.

Yep. It’s wild that this storyline was greenlit. They knew the stakes were high, and they went with the laziest, lowest common denominator premise.

“Let’s venture into the bayou to find musicians for the party!” is suitable enough as the macguffin for the story, but woefully insufficient as the entirety of the attraction experience.

There should be a change in mood after we find the zydeco critter band. The tone should become more, uh, adventurous.

It’s like if guests never get captured by the First Order on Rise. But the Resistance throws them a party at the end anyway.

CaptinEO

View attachment 790850
See, now, this… THIS is an ADVENTURE. This DESERVES to have the word in its title. With three minutes of fictional peril, this roller coaster spins a simple, effective tale: Hagrid, being Hagrid, did not see the flaw in his lesson plan, and now you’re on a sentient, runaway motorbike.

It’s simultaneously thrilling and funny, perfectly in character, builds satisfyingly to a climactic peril/rescue/escape finale and ends with my favorite closing lines of all time: “I’d be grateful if you didn’t mention any of this to anyone back at Hogwarts. See you next lesson!”

No moral, no lesson (wonderfully ironic because it literally takes place during a lesson) and no forced-smile, hollow self-affirmation party. Just survival and FUN (and a unicorn encounter your teacher has just asked everyone to keep quiet about).

It only features a handful of AAs, but each one is used effectively. The coaster would still be thrilling without the story, but it’s the story—the ADVENTURE—that leaves everyone with huge smiles on their faces and warm fuzzies in their hearts.

Now if they’d just shorten the name… Wait a second—Tiana can have the superfluous words!

Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure
Tiana’s Magical Creatures Bayou

There— Fixed both! 😃
Yes but how many research trips did they do for Hagrid's? Tiana's has to be better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom