Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Brer Oswald

LA Times: The ride puts an emphasis on dioramas rather than feeding us a plot.

Disney PR and the actual ride explaining the plot and lore:
View attachment 791111
It’s funny because the new ride has virtually no dioramas (or vignettes as we enthusiasts like to refer to them) compared to its predecessor.

Every section of Splash could be described by the composition of the scene and what the characters were doing. “Fishing Geese”, “Leaving Home”, “Rope Trap”, “Bee Hive Attack”, “Rabbit Caught/Honey Trap”, “Burrows Lament”, “Showboat”, etc.

With this attraction, you are better off naming the scenes “Tiana 1”, “Louis 2”, etc because most of the animatronics appear in isolation and are doing nothing beyond flailing their arms and giving kindergarten level plot exposition to the guests.

mickEblu

It’s funny because the new ride has virtually no dioramas (or vignettes as we enthusiasts like to refer to them) compared to its predecessor.

Every section of Splash could be described by the composition of the scene and what the characters were doing. “Fishing Geese”, “Leaving Home”, “Rope Trap”, “Bee Hive Attack”, “Rabbit Caught/Honey Trap”, “Burrows Lament”, “Showboat”, etc.

With this attraction, you are better off naming the scenes “Tiana 1”, “Louis 2”, etc because most of the animatronics appear in isolation and are doing nothing beyond flailing their arms and giving kindergarten level plot exposition to the guests.

Oh God this reminds me, don’t go watch Tom Corless’ review where he loses his mind over the Armadillo or the rocking critter figures and keeps using the word “vignettes” to refer to things like two static frogs on a log. Accurate in a dictionary sense perhaps but not how the term is typically used in the theme park community.

Brer Oswald

Oh God this reminds me, don’t go watch Tom Corless’ review where he loses his mind over the Armadillo or the rocking critter figures and keeps using the word “vignettes” to refer to things like two static frogs on a log. Accurate in a dictionary sense perhaps but not how the term is typically used in the theme park community.
I don’t think I could stomach that 😂. Dude has gone full shill mode since he got back on the media list, and could not be making it any more obvious.

mickEblu

I don’t think I could stomach that 😂. Dude has gone full shill mode since he got back on the media list, and could not be making it any more obvious.

Tell me about it. It was hard to watch. I’ll be cleaning up my subscription list on YouTube this week. Not sure what was harder to watch that or Jack/ DSNY’s POV. Man, that was hilarious. It’s clear Disney is on the offensive. Then you have those LA and NY Times articles. Instead of the media shills, a better approach would be listening to the all the negative reviews and trying to fix the attraction. But they’re too arrogant for that.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Tell me about it. It was hard to watch. I’ll be cleaning up my subscription list on YouTube this week. Not sure what was harder to watch that or Jack/ DSNY’s POV. Man, that was hilarious. It’s clear Disney is on the offensive. Then you have those LA and NY Times articles. Instead of the media shills, a better approach would be listening to the all the negative reviews and trying to fix the attraction. But the’re too arrogant for that.
quotegh.png

Same person who wrote this also has a quote in the NY Times article.

The NY Times also wrote an article about the Jenny Nicholson Star Wars hotel video this week.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Yes. TBA is all telling, no showing. And this is a terrible flaw; it’s too late to correct it now, even if they wanted to.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
meh, i dunno it looks nice to me. seems kinda like JoW where everyone on here hated/hates it but most people that experience it like it a lot
Got to remember that anyone, no matter who they are, couldn't possibly like anything that modern Disney does without being a paid shill suckling at the teat of Disney, whereas someone who is negative is the only honest one's that are "just telling it like it is", or so I've been told by posters here.

Disney I'll be expecting my back "shill pay" any day now, been waiting years, is the check in the mail?!?

mickEblu

it seems like a lot of people that have actually ridden the ride like it?

I think people (no matter how they feel about this retheme) tend to it like it a little more when they ride it naturally. Not only has the initial disappointment of the POV settled but you are now physically experiencing something in real life. The twinkling lights in the dark, the sound being all around instead of coming through an iPhone speaker, the thrills, the water hitting you etc.

Last edited:

Professortango1

meh, i dunno it looks nice to me. seems kinda like JoW where everyone on here hated/hates it but most people that experience it like it a lot
I think its important to recognize that this ride bears more weight than JoW. Not only being an E Ticket thrill ride vs a B Ticket walk through experience, but also in the "importance" the ride has gone on to signify for many people on opposite sides of the coin.

Influencers are expected to be excited and positive. I am friends with theatre influencers who go see professional plays and promote them on socials. They find the positive even if the show wasn't their favorite. Wannabe influencers would also fall into this camp because they are mimicking this behavior and hoping Disney adds them to the list. Then you also have people looking to defend this ride against the hate it has received since announcement. They need to like it and point out the positives to prove curmudgeons and trolls wrong.

Add to that the other side of the coin where people feel like they need to hate this to punish Disney and discourse about the true quality of this retheme is incredibly difficult to navigate. Luckily, forums like these don't have the same sort of online trolls that you see on social media, so the negativity on here in more nuanced and looking at the attraction in terms of a piece of art and offering criticism vs haters just hating.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

it seems like a lot of people that have actually ridden the ride like it?

To be fair, it’s entirely possible that many elements (like the bayou, lighting, seeing the AAs in person) are more impressive in person than on a YouTube POV. The perceived dead/empty stretches might actually be okay; we won’t know for sure until we ride.

But we can make judgments about the script and staging without actually riding. And those are incredibly disappointing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom