Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Disney Analyst

I didn't notice it at first, but you're right. Anika's voice is a little too isolated from the backing. At the very least, it'll sound nice on-ride.

Mentioned this in the WDW thread but I wish Anika was directed to sing this with more of a belt and opt up at the end. There's a songbird sweetness in the way she's singing here (Anika Noni Rose, what a talent), but it doesn't quite feel like a finale. Feels more like a really catch exit song.

There's a great swing to the song that I wish was a smidge more celebratory/grew a little more.

I do enjoy the song. It’s a nice catchy tune. Kinda like a jingle on tv.

But I do wish it had more a big choral moment, with lots of voices joining in and singing. Dig a Little Deeper vibes.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
The lyrics leave a lot to be desired. Rhyming bayou with "by you" is like the same exact word. It almost sounds like something AI could write. I'm sure PJ Morton is a wonderful guy, but this misses the mark in my opinion, especially considering what song it replaced. The tune is catchy, just very reminiscent of Mr. Rogers and Mario Odyssey. I think that's what makes me like it.

mickEblu

The lyrics leave a lot to be desired. Rhyming bayou with "by you" is like the same exact word. It almost sounds like something AI could write. I'm sure PJ Morton is a wonderful guy, but this misses the mark in my opinion, especially considering what song it replaced. The tune is catchy, just very reminiscent of Mr. Rogers and Mario Odyssey. I think that's what makes me like it.

OMG Mario Odyssey lol. Are you talking about that song they sing in the city and/ or when you beat the game?

TP2000

I've got mixed emotions on this. Here's my take from best to worst, plus a special award for Imagineering execs;

Best:
I do like that "Special Spice" song! It sounds like it could have been from the movie itself. Catchy. Upbeat. Fun!

Bad:
That ridiculous Tiana's Foods Employee Owned sign that was tacked up over the flume. Why? Tacky. Cheap. Employee Owned!

Worst:
The way these Imagineers talk and behave in these cringey promotional videos. Why can't they be normal? Why can't they talk normal? Why do they all seem so puffed up with their own self-importance? They're working on a log ride, for God's sake.

Just Dumb:
How that one Imagineering executive, Tricia Holloway, from England or Australia or something says "Hey Y'all!" at the singular Tiana animatronic on the lift hill. Tricia, honey, Y'all is plural. It's a contraction of You All. Meaning more than one person. Tiana is only one person. She's all alone on that lift hill. When you say "Hey Y'all!" at her in that video you sound just as fake and clueless as you probably are in real life. Prove me wrong Tricia, y'all. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MK-fan

This question goes out to all you Splash Mountain lovers out there that been on 100’s or maybe 1000’s of times. I remember the second drop on the ride right before you go into the laughing place used to be different, I know it’s like a roller coaster type layout almost like a camelback, but I remember there used to be one more little hill and bunny drop right before it ended. I remember reading about this on another forum, the ride did have an extensive refurbishment in the late 90’s that lengthened the logs to accommodate more do this could be the reason why it was changed. Does anyone remember this extra little bunny hill drop at the end of the laughing place drop prior to 1999?

Rich T

I don’t think the words “special spice” roll off the tongue very well . Aside from that, no complaints here; the song is pleasant and fun. I’m wondering if the ride mix will put more emphasis on the chorus.

Regarding the physical scene, my only gripe is that John Goodman’s character got relegated to the “projection zone” guest list.

Brer Oswald

Mario Odyssey mixed with Mr Rogers is actually the perfect way of putting it. Maybe that’s why I like it so much too? 😂

Some of the melody also sounds like the Mario Wonder theme. Maybe PJ is a big Mario fan?

Homemade Imagineering

So I have to wonder whether we’ll get an updated esplanade loop after the holiday season concludes for 2024. I’d imagine they want TBA to be included in said loop and Special Spice would be fitting. The same goes for MMRR, maybe add the Swisskapolka in as well. All instrumental versions & of course I can imagine they’d reuse much of the existing loop with these added in, as they have done so time & time again adding things in and removing some songs too

EPCOTCenterLover

I think I'm used to the Gospel influenced chorus of Zip. This new song is solid, but because it's done in a New Orleans jazz style, it doesn't have the same rousing feel.

Maybe there's a different mix for the ride itself and one for purchasing as a single.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Kinda crazy how a year ago we were here:
FxZ8cplaUAEgSB0.jpg

You're sorely missed Br'er Rabbit.

Professortango1

Maybe I haven't listened to it enough times. I only watched the spoiler video and the music track once each, but whenever I try and remember the song, my mind just fades into Dig a Little Deeper.

Listening to it again, I think one of my issues is the word "joyful." Not only do they use it twice per chorus to define the celebration, but it's a pretty lackluster lyric. The music conveys joyful. The visuals convey joyful. Why do we need to explicitly tell everyone it is joyful? Lazy writing tells the audience how to feel. Good writing paints a picture with words and leads the audience to discover the feeling.

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Worst:
The way these Imagineers talk and behave in these cringey promotional videos. Why can't they be normal? Why can't they talk normal? Why do they all seem so puffed up with their own self-importance? They're working on a log ride, for God's sake.

This is my new pet peeve. The pompousness is especially cringey when the quality of the project is questionable.

And I suppose promoting specific Imagineers in this way is unavoidable in the age of social media, but it rubs me the wrong way. Ask any old school Imagineer; WDI was (and still is, presumably) all about the team effort. I understand why in 2024 they want to highlight women Imagineers and people of color, but really, no contributor to these projects is more important than anyone else.

They also often come across in these videos like a bunch of dorks. And not in an endearing way. More like robots lacking life experience.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is my new pet peeve. The pompousness is especially cringey when the quality of the project is questionable.

And I suppose promoting specific Imagineers in this way is unavoidable in the age of social media, but it rubs me the wrong way. Ask any old school Imagineer; WDI was (and still is, presumably) all about the team effort. I understand why in 2024 they want to highlight women Imagineers and people of color, but really, no contributor to these projects is more important than anyone else.

They also often come across in these videos like a bunch of dorks. And not in an endearing way. More like robots lacking life experience.
I believe the issues people are having come from the way the videos are shot and edited. Its an interview style video that is edited into small bite sized easy to consume segment chunks. Its the way a lot of marketing is done these days, I honestly dislike it personally but just accept its the way of the world now.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I believe the issues people are having come from the way the videos are shot and edited. Its an interview style video that is edited into small bite sized easy to consume segment chunks. Its the way a lot of marketing is done these days, I honestly dislike it personally but just accept its the way of the world now.

Agreed, absolutely part of the issue. To the producers’/editors’ credit, essentially all Imagineering behind-the-scenes clips or series these days are very well received. They’re just not for me.

mickEblu

I don’t think the words “special spice” roll off the tongue very well . Aside from that, no complaints here; the song is pleasant and fun. I’m wondering if the ride mix will put more emphasis on the chorus.

Regarding the physical scene, my only gripe is that John Goodman’s character got relegated to the “projection zone” guest list.

There’s just no way that whoever oversaw and/or approved this to be the new finale song for the attraction gave the instruction for it to be a “new anthem.” Considering what it’s replacing that should have been the goal and “Special Spice” is not that at all. It’s wordy without a big sing along chorus.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There’s just no way that whoever oversaw and/or approved this to be the new finale song for the attraction gave the instruction for it to be a “new anthem.” Considering what it’s replacing that should have been the goal and “Special Spice” is not that at all. It’s wordy without a big sing along chorus.
I don't think they were trying to create a "new anthem" for TWDC or for the Disney Parks, rather just a final song for the attraction. And while you might consider that an issue given the song it replaced, I don't see that as a problem as it does its job as a final song.

But really if Zip hadn't been used previously as an "anthem" and was just the final song of the attraction I don't think you or anyone else would care as much.

mickEblu

I don't think they were trying to create a "new anthem" for TWDC or for the Disney Parks, rather just a final song for the attraction. And while you might consider that an issue given the song it replaced, I don't see that as a problem as it does its job as a final song.

But really if Zip hadn't been used previously as an "anthem" and was just the final song of the attraction I don't think you or anyone else would care as much.

If my grandma had wheels she would have been a bicycle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom