Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Figments Friend

For those who have not seen this yet…

This little momento was handed out to Disneyland Cast who worked the Attraction on its final day of operation.
Printed on authentic old Fastpass paper, too!

FF8F8773-990C-4785-B5B4-FB8C9CFF489E.jpeg

TP2000

What a difference a day makes! Just 24 hours ago I was feeling fairly optimistic about the new Tiana ride, and then this arrived...

New Tiana’s Bayou Adventure details were announced at a recent media event - here are some highlights from the Laughing Place.
  • The ride itself will be the same length as Splash Mountain — approximately 9 minutes at Disneyland and approximately 10 minutes at the Magic Kingdom
  • There will be original animation created by Walt Disney Animation Studios that will be used on screens within the attraction.
  • Songwriter and producer PJ Morton, a native of New Orleans, is creating an original song that will be heard in Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. He is also doing new arrangements of the classic songs within the attraction.
  • Jazz trumpeter Terence Blanchard, also a native of New Orleans, who can be heard playing all of Louis’ trumpet parts in the The Princess and the Frog. He is working to select songs from the film as well as iconic themes from New Orleans for use in the queue.
  • The flora, the wildlife, the sounds are all authentic to New Orleans and of the period. The Imagineers made a point of validating their creative decisions via visits to New Orleans and the bayou and research at The Historic New Orleans Collection.
  • There will be a radio show playing in the queue that talks about the celebration we’re about to visit and informs us that Tiana needs assistance. The radio playing it is based on c. 1930 Avrin radio and record player combination
  • Naveen’s little brother Ralphie will be a part of the attraction as an Audio Animatronic playing the drums. The drum set he uses is based on a children’s set that includes a c. 1900 Chinese tom tom and a c. 1920 Zildjian and Chinese cymbals. The actual set is in the office of the New Orleans Jazz Museum director Greg Lambousy.
  • The attraction will have 17 new characters, all represented by Audio Animatronics. This includes the critter band playing zydeco music.
  • The attractions overall story will touch on some new themes
    • Tiana’s father being a WWI veteran and what’s it like for an African American man to fight for his country back then
    • Tiana’s mom made dresses not only for Charlotte but for other clients in the community which served as an inspiration for Tiana’s entrepreneurship
    • New representation of the other nationalities that make up New Orleans including Philippines, Mexico, Caribbean, nations of Africa and China
  • Tiana will have more new costumes and hairstyles beyond the Adventure Tiana we’ve seen
  • Prince Naveen will play humorous role in the story
  • Look for a sneak peek of new consumer products at the next ESSENCE Fest, which runs from June 29th through July 3rd, 2023
  • While the attraction won’t necessarily be tied to the Disney+ series, they are working with Disney+ for continuity
  • A chair designed by current and former YAYA students for Imagineering will be put into Disneyland’s Eudora’s Chic Boutique. YAYA is a place we visited where people aged 13 to 25 can learn to become artists. While there, each student paints a chair that is sold and the student shares in the profits.
Full article below.

What on earth?!? Is this still a log ride, or is it now a lecture series? 🫤

My head hurts, and a lot of this stuff doesn't pass the smell test. So I Googled. The sudden inclusion of Filipino's, Mexicans and Chinese into this log ride story just seems really... forced. Like something only an HR committee with no Internet access could come up with.

According to the 1930 US Census, the population of Louisiana was 2.1 Million and the state had the following racial demographics;

Whites = 63% or 1.4 Million
Blacks = 36.9% or 700,000
American Indian = 0.1% or 1,536
Chinese = 0.02% or 422 (Four hundred and twenty two people living in Louisiana in 1930 were of Chinese descent)
Japanese = 0.002% or 52 (Fifty two people living in Louisiana in 1930 were of Japanese descent)
Other = 0.02% or 545 (perhaps those are where the Filipino's and Mexicans came from for the ride?)

If I were from New Orleans, I would be a tad upset that the already colorful and fabulous culture of that uniquely American city was being divided up like that. Because the 99.98% of the citizenry isn't inclusive enough now? So you have to make up history that didn't happen and pretend there was a noticeable Chinese or Mexican influence in the city circa 1930? And you aren't going to give a nod to 0.1% of the state that was American Indian, but instead are going to celebrate the 0.02% who were Chinese?

The mind boggles at how the HR department makes that mathematic equation work, but I'm not surprised any more.

Did someone forget this is a fast moving log ride? Please tell me these educational lessons are restricted to the queue. Is the actual ride gonna have Tiana's dad fighting in World War 1?

No kidding. This is getting messy very fast. Now we're also celebrating WWI vets and 0.02% of the state population? Employee owned!

The Tiana Foods employee owned Co-op Salt mine, no villain, Celebration of Love/ NOS, inclusive of 9 cultures, Tiana’s WW1 dad, ingredient hunt stuff is all over the place.

You forgot about her mom making dresses for the local children which inspired Tiana's entrepreneurial spirit very briefly before Tiana turned her businesses over to the employee's to own. Also, there's a big drop and a splash somewhere in there too.

BasiltheBatLord

Carmen: I say, you know, surprise. I say we don't want to, we want you … I think the ride is also a discovery, and I think when you find Easter Eggs it's like “Wow” and I don't think we want to give that away just yet.
Most interesting part of that article was this total mess of an answer on whether there will be Splash Mountain easter eggs in the attraction.

TP2000

Move CoP back to Disneyland and bring AS to WDW! If those classic animatronics are all unemployed they deserve to be enjoyed once again by the masses.

Now that's the best idea to come out of this whole mess!

If they're really replacing the 50+ America Sings animatronics with 17 new ones, rebuild a musical carousel show again with all the America Sings cast in WDW. And get Apple to sponsor the new Carousel of Progress for Disneyland, please.

I'll wait patiently off to the side here...

TP2000

Most interesting part of that article was this total mess of an answer on whether there will be Splash Mountain easter eggs in the attraction.

A similar thought passed through my mind when I read that unnecessarily vague answer.

An Imagineer answering that very predictable fan question should just laugh and say "You'll have to come ride the new attraction to discover that for yourself!"

Instead, she got weirdly defensive and vague. Seriously, lady? :rolleyes:

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

A similar thought passed through my mind when I read that unnecessarily vague answer.

An Imagineer answering that very predictable fan question should just laugh and say "You'll have to come ride the new attraction to discover that for yourself!"

Instead, she got weirdly defensive and vague. Seriously, lady? :rolleyes:
She's probably the one who pitched TBA to the execs to begin with.

Move CoP back to Disneyland and bring AS to WDW! If those classic animatronics are all unemployed they deserve to be enjoyed once again by the masses.
I approve of this. Put all of Walt's original attractions under one roof!

EPCOTCenterLover

I'll miss the old AA figures. America Sings was a very fun show with great music. On top of that, I do not like this trend of fewer and fewer Audio-Animatronic rides. Screens are OK when used properly, but even their use in the new Snow White attraction is poorly done. I hope TBA does it better.

Consumer

You know, Disney really should just open an Archives museum in Downtown Disney with a few permanent exhibits and a couple rotating ones. Old animatronics, signage, and so forth on display. Not only would it be a great way for preservation and making fan favorite Yesterland features accessible, it would actually make it so there is something to do in Downtown Disney.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The progression of the last 3 years of my life:

- I just want to listen to music without getting preached to.

- I just want to watch a movie without getting preached to.

- I just want to watch a tv show without getting preached to.

- I just want to watch a commercial without getting preached to.

- I just want to go shopping at a store without getting preached to.

- I just want to hang out on social media without getting preached to.

And now:

- I just want to go to a theme/amusement park without getting preached to.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

You know, Disney really should just open an Archives museum in Downtown Disney with a few permanent exhibits and a couple rotating ones. Old animatronics, signage, and so forth on display. Not only would it be a great way for preservation and making fan favorite Yesterland features accessible, it would actually make it so there is something to do in Downtown Disney.
Downtown Disney replacing the Rainforest Cafe with YET ANOTHER Star Wars gift shop was a mistake. Where would one place a museum like this in the area though?

WDW had a small archives store in their version of Downtown Disney that had some Yesterland features, most notably a vehicle from that version of Mr. Toad.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The progression of the last 3 years of my life:

- I just want to listen to music without getting preached to.

- I just want to watch a movie without getting preached to.

- I just want to watch a tv show without getting preached to.

- I just want to watch a commercial without getting preached to.

- I just want to go shopping at a store without getting preached to.

- I just want to hang out on social media without getting preached to.

And now:

- I just want to go to a theme/amusement park without getting preached to.
What do you think the attraction will be preaching to you about?

Consumer

And what do you expect the sermon to sound like?
"I'm so glad I am not a selfish capitalist fat cat and instead I get to equally share the wealth with all my friends who helped me reach this place in my life! Thanks again for all your help, friends! Eat the rich, then eat my fabulous homecooked beignets." - Tiana at the end of the ride after defeating the new villain, capitalist scum Bob Chapek

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
"I'm so glad I am not a selfish capitalist fat cat and instead I get to equally share the wealth with all my friends who helped me reach this place in my life! Thanks again for all your help, friends! Eat the rich, then eat my fabulous homecooked beignets." - Tiana at the end of the ride after defeating the new villain, capitalist scum Bob Chapek
Sounds like something I’d stand in line for.👏🏾

TP2000

I just went over and scanned the WDW version of this thread, just to see if both coasts were on the same page after today's news update.

Yup! The WDW folks are now as worried about it as we are here. Some rather insightful comments from the East Coasters too, and they trend towards a concern that Disney no longer knows how to have fun just for the sake of having fun. Like on a silly musical log ride. It has to be focus grouped and led by a dour HR committee and put through a politically correct meat grinder until what comes out is no longer fun, it's a lecture series on the ills of humanity instead of a fun ride based on the brightness of humanity.

It's just insufferable at this point. And it never sells to the masses. :rolleyes:

Just make a musical log ride with a wacky alligator that plays the Saxophone, please. And leave the humorless dolts in HR out of it.

TP2000

Pooh never made sense in an American Critter Country.

I think that most of the inclusions they are mentioning will fly right past people in line or on the relatively fast moving ride. When I am in queues with backstories and details I love to examine everything but I rarely see anyone else doing it.

Agreed. There are still people who go to Disneyland and don't know what Pirates of the Caribbean does.

But what I find fascinating is the level of detail they are putting into this long and elaborate backstory, and the contortions they are twisting themselves into to now include the 0.02% of Louisiana's population of Chinese ancestry in 1930, or bring up President Woodrow Wilson and his notoriously racist outlooks on people and places around him. In the queue for a log ride?!? 🤣

You and I have been around Disney parks for quite a while, and I'm struggling to find any attraction backstory that was nearly as detailed and fabricated as this one is. Can you think of anything even close to this? Because I can't. But maybe I'm forgetting something?

Perhaps those who love the flume but not the retheme can do what I do on Space when I play my preferred Dick Dale version. They can listen to the old soundtrack.

HA! What a great idea! I bet there will be people who do this. And you are quite right, the Dick Dale version of the Space Mountain soundtrack was far superior to anything else they've come up with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom