Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You're throwing around words like "woke" and "agenda" of course I'm gonna go up to bat and defend the ride.
????

I wasn’t using those words in reference to Splash Mountain.

We’ve been discussing this for years. I was one of many here who immediately expressed shock about this decision and didn’t want Splash Mountain to close, both here and in the original thread that got shut down.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I have no clue what’s going on, but I’m sure somebody out there has gotten tench foot from Splash, so it has that in common with WWI.
WW1 also lasted 4 years, and 3.5 months . Since Disney announced this change in June 2020 I’m wondering if it’ll take longer for this ride to open since it’s original announcement than the entire length of time that WW1 took.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
New Tiana’s Bayou Adventure details were announced at a recent media event - here are some highlights from the Laughing Place.
  • The ride itself will be the same length as Splash Mountain — approximately 9 minutes at Disneyland and approximately 10 minutes at the Magic Kingdom
  • There will be original animation created by Walt Disney Animation Studios that will be used on screens within the attraction.
  • Songwriter and producer PJ Morton, a native of New Orleans, is creating an original song that will be heard in Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. He is also doing new arrangements of the classic songs within the attraction.
  • Jazz trumpeter Terence Blanchard, also a native of New Orleans, who can be heard playing all of Louis’ trumpet parts in the The Princess and the Frog. He is working to select songs from the film as well as iconic themes from New Orleans for use in the queue.
  • The flora, the wildlife, the sounds are all authentic to New Orleans and of the period. The Imagineers made a point of validating their creative decisions via visits to New Orleans and the bayou and research at The Historic New Orleans Collection.
  • There will be a radio show playing in the queue that talks about the celebration we’re about to visit and informs us that Tiana needs assistance. The radio playing it is based on c. 1930 Avrin radio and record player combination
  • Naveen’s little brother Ralphie will be a part of the attraction as an Audio Animatronic playing the drums. The drum set he uses is based on a children’s set that includes a c. 1900 Chinese tom tom and a c. 1920 Zildjian and Chinese cymbals. The actual set is in the office of the New Orleans Jazz Museum director Greg Lambousy.
  • The attraction will have 17 new characters, all represented by Audio Animatronics. This includes the critter band playing zydeco music.
  • The attractions overall story will touch on some new themes
    • Tiana’s father being a WWI veteran and what’s it like for an African American man to fight for his country back then
    • Tiana’s mom made dresses not only for Charlotte but for other clients in the community which served as an inspiration for Tiana’s entrepreneurship
    • New representation of the other nationalities that make up New Orleans including Philippines, Mexico, Caribbean, nations of Africa and China
  • Tiana will have more new costumes and hairstyles beyond the Adventure Tiana we’ve seen
  • Prince Naveen will play humorous role in the story
  • Look for a sneak peek of new consumer products at the next ESSENCE Fest, which runs from June 29th through July 3rd, 2023
  • While the attraction won’t necessarily be tied to the Disney+ series, they are working with Disney+ for continuity
  • A chair designed by current and former YAYA students for Imagineering will be put into Disneyland’s Eudora’s Chic Boutique. YAYA is a place we visited where people aged 13 to 25 can learn to become artists. While there, each student paints a chair that is sold and the student shares in the profits.
Full article below.

My two cents....

Disney is doing what they always do in recent times, give vague details that end up not being really representative of the actual attraction experience. So short of some of these "plot" points being in the queue I wouldn't worry about it affecting the attraction experience.

mickEblu

I might be biased but it sure does feel like the exchanges usually go as follows:

1. PR piece or Disney parks blog is released
2. People on my side of the aisle share our genuine concerns
3. People on the other side of the aisle mock us for having those opinions.

For me personally it’s rarely if ever the other way around. Meaning, me going out of my way to mock someone else’s opinion or Jump down their throat. Especially if they weren’t engaging with me directly. This tells me that some of us are here to have a genuine discussion and some us are really only here to troll and/ or have no real opinions of their own.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I might be biased but it sure does feel like the exchanges usually go as follows:

For me personally it’s rarely if ever the other way around. Meaning, me going out of my way to mock someone else’s opinion or Jump down their throat. Especially if they weren’t engaging with me directly. This tells me that some of us are here to have a genuine discussion and some us are really only here to troll and have no real opinions of our own.
I do actually think this PR piece was quite a bit better than some of the last ones. But as a “cautious optimist” I straddle the lines between 2 and 3 I guess.

Here’s what we got:
- a multi-Emmy winning composer scoring the attraction, acknowledging a mix of classic songs from the film + a new one (in response to removal of SoTS score)
- 17 original characters + confirmed “dozens of AAs” + acknowledged “screens” (likely in response to criticism of removal of AS AAs)
- Very comprehensive (some may say cumbersome) backstory elements focused on Tiana’s mom (wardrobes) and dad’s WW1 service. Likely queue focused but better and more well-rounded (in response to negative comments on original backstory). These period elements should help with establishing the 1920s era setting pre-boarding.
- Acknowledgement that this story won’t be tied directly to the animated series on D+ necessarily (which IMO is a positive given the company’s recent struggles there and content backlog with the WGA strike).

The Q&A that was obviously published with TWDC’s sign-off and commissioning was also respectful to Splash Mountain fans as there seems to be more recognition that this is replacing an “iconic” attraction.

To me there was a lot more to be excited about here than in the last piece of PR that was all food Co-Op focused.

Nirya

For me personally it’s rarely if ever the other way around. Meaning, me going out of my way to mock someone else’s opinion or Jump down their throat. Especially if they weren’t engaging with me directly. This tells me that some of us are here to have a genuine discussion and some us are really only here to troll and/ or have no real opinions of their own.

No offense, but you could flip this and it'd read the exact same for people on the other side of this.

The real problem in this thread is that all of you have been insufferable in multiple different ways. The people who are still angry that Splash has closed (and let's be perfectly clear: y'all are still angry and emotional about the entire thing) refuse to let sleeping dogs lie and are ready to jump down everyone's throat over any and all perceived slights. The people who have made their peace over the closure and are moving on have approached the whole thread with a "holier than thou" attitude that is honestly grating and causes more fighting than it should.

There hasn't been anything approaching genuine concern on either side because no one here is willing to actually listen and consider the opinions of anyone else, instead jumping to the worst possible denominator every time. That's why I made my initial post today, because all you all are going to do is bicker and snipe at each other for another year with nothing being accomplished except winning non-existent brownie points on the internet. Until everyone comes together for actual conversations, it would honestly be better to form a two-state solution so that both sides can accomplish their goals in peace.

mickEblu

No offense, but you could flip this and it'd read the exact same for people on the other side of this.

The real problem in this thread is that all of you have been insufferable in multiple different ways. The people who are still angry that Splash has closed (and let's be perfectly clear: y'all are still angry and emotional about the entire thing) refuse to let sleeping dogs lie and are ready to jump down everyone's throat over any and all perceived slights. The people who have made their peace over the closure and are moving on have approached the whole thread with a "holier than thou" attitude that is honestly grating and causes more fighting than it should.

There hasn't been anything approaching genuine concern on either side because no one here is willing to actually listen and consider the opinions of anyone else, instead jumping to the worst possible denominator every time. That's why I made my initial post today, because all you all are going to do is bicker and snipe at each other for another year with nothing being accomplished except winning non-existent brownie points on the internet. Until everyone comes together for actual conversations, it would honestly be better to form a two-state solution so that both sides can accomplish their goals in peace.

Maybe you can but not in my experience personally. This is how it usually plays out and that’s not just with the Splash topic. It’s usually someone expressing their dissatisfaction with my opinion and replying to me when I wasn’t even engaging with them.

Nirya

Maybe you can but not in my experience personally. This is how it usually plays out and that’s not just with the Splash topic. It’s usually someone expressing their dissatisfaction with my opinion and replying to me when I wasn’t even engaging with them.

IT'S THIS EXACT THING RIGHT HERE! You literally have your experience and no one else is allowed to have a different experience because yours is clearly the correct one. This is insufferable and why this thread devolves into nightmares constantly.

Midwest Elitist

The thing is, many of us were intrigued at the initial announcement, and I never really cared for Splash. But the more I started to keep up, and the more news came out, it just got worse and worse and worse. It broke for me when they got rid of the music.

mickEblu

Also I am upset about losing Splash yes but my concerns today with the direction of the ride have nothing to do with that.

That’s another thing. I have no goals other than the interest to express my opinion. Isn’t that most of us are doing here?

I know you were speaking in general but If you don’t mind please tell me what you found insufferable about my reaction to the PR post. And I’m genuinely concerned about the attraction. Not necessarily the people who jump down my throat when I share my opinion.

Ghost93

I'm cautiously optimistic that Tiana's father dealing with racism serving in WWI will be something touched upon in a newspaper article or some other scene in the queue. Because while that subject matter is important to learn about, it's completely inappropriate for a LOG FLUME ride featuring a gigantic drop.

Kirby86

Well Tianas dad WW1 service will have to be a newspaper clip or something similar in the queue because the character died in said war. I highly doubt that's being retconned so he'll show up in the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom