Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

It was around the time they changed the logs. The new logs couldn’t maneuver the old dip drop so they had to reprofile it. The new logs and the altered drop led to a tsunami effect that the OG designers didn’t intend

When did they change the logs? This wasn’t during the refurb I mentioned was it? Around 5-6 years ago or so.

Hope this gets fixed. Knowing that drenching is coming kind of takes you out of the ride and then post drench also takes you out of it. I can deal with the splashes from the first and final drops.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
When did they change the logs? This wasn’t during the refurb I mentioned was it? Around 5-6 years ago or so.

Hope this gets fixed. Knowing that drenching is coming kind of takes you out of the ride and then post drench also takes you out of it. I can deal with the splashes from the first and final drops.
I think Disneyland got their new logs in the early 2000's. I assume they'll stay the same for Tiana's

ProjectXBlog

I got what I assume will be my last rides in yesterday, and noticed on the final ascent that there was a plaster head mold of some kind sitting under the show lights. I wasn’t able to tell exactly what it was, but curious if anyone has insight? Pictures are attached, but you can only really see half of the head.
IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_1443.png

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
I got what I assume will be my last rides in yesterday, and noticed on the final ascent that there was a plaster head mold of some kind sitting under the show lights. I wasn’t able to tell exactly what it was, but curious if anyone has insight? Pictures are attached, but you can only really see half of the head.
View attachment 717847
View attachment 717848
The mummified head of Marc Davis?

DavidDL

I will be in the park this Sunday for a final ride on Splash. Gave it some thought after initially not wanting to bother but felt I may as well since it was the first attraction I hired into when I was a CM (even though I HATED working it). Also, our last ride photo from a few months ago never showed up (in person or on the app) so it would be nice to have some kind of "final photo" for it.

PiratesMansion

I will be in the park this Sunday for a final ride on Splash. Gave it some thought after initially not wanting to bother but felt I may as well since it was the first attraction I hired into when I was a CM (even though I HATED working it). Also, our last ride photo from a few months ago never showed up (in person or on the app) so it would be nice to have some kind of "final photo" for it.
What was it like to work Splash?

DavidDL

What was it like to work Splash?

You mean the pitiless titan of steel and water? The black hole that absorbed your schedule completely as soon as Disneyland schedulers caught wind that you knew how to operate it? Not great.

Though I think this is mostly the case with any popular attraction. During my time there, I quickly discovered that the more fun a ride is to ride, the less fun it is to work. -and vice versa. Splash is obviously a popular, fun ride but that just made things all the more painful when something would go wrong and shut it down. Which happened all the time.

There was no worse feeling than standing in the middle of the merge point, surrounded by hundreds of Guests whose Fastpasses you'd just collected or who had been waiting in standby for over an hour on a hot day, just to hear the dreaded Brer Rabbit, "Whoops! Looks like there's a log jam up ahead! Just stay seated, we'll have you on your way in no time!" Which was an outright lie because as soon as you heard those words, it was the signal that the ride was down and not coming back any time soon.

Not sure how best to express this next bit but Splash was also very "GO GO GO!" in terms of workflow. It makes sense because it's normally very crowded and very popular, so you needed to be efficient. But often it felt like I was being forced to come off "rude" to Guests or just generally didn't have the time or opportunities to make those sort of "magical moments" for Guests that you come to expect from Disney. Most often it felt like the only real way to create a magical memory for Guests at Splash was to either let them skip the line (not encouraged by the team) or that one time they randomly handed me a crudely made copy of Brer Rabbit's bindle and sent me out into Critter Country to try and have some "fun interactions" with Guests. A process I was woefully unprepared or trained for, mind you, given that every waking moment of my time at the attraction before that had been the total opposite. I just came off super cringy.

The type of ride that Splash is, also sort of (for the most part) determined what kind of demographic was most interested in it, which meant more often dealing with troublesome younger Guests who would put themselves at risk by trying to hop out, stand up or just be more generally tempted to do things they shouldn't be doing while riding an attraction. Also, since hotter days in the park tend to be more stressful and negatively affect the experiences of park Guests, hotter days were especially painful at Splash because those folks were coming your way all day (it being a water ride and all).

The Cast that staffed the attraction (at least, during my time there) also had a bit of a reputation for being one big drama show. Splash was sort of seen like the "high school" of the NOCC attraction line up at the time, if you can imagine what kind of drama that normally entails.

Needless to say, once I learned Winnie the Pooh, I never looked back. Guaranteed 8 hour shifts, a far more relaxed attraction atmosphere and generally more friendly/forgiving Guests and a much less drama-infused set of CMs made it the place to be!

TomboyJanet

The critters as they walk off into the sunset, hand in hand, leaving our world and entering the world of Yesterday.

Only ten days left for Br'er Rabbit and all his Critter pals to have a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day. Seriously. We're down to 10 days left with one of the greatest Disney attractions made.

Sources have turned up these photographs taken of Brer Rabbit "Movin' Along". It may seem like he's found his NEW Laughing Place.......
among the stars......
IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY!
Time To Be Movin along.jpg

Brer Rabbit Car.jpg

This may be my NEW laughin place.jpg

Brer Rabbit Helmet.jpg

BasiltheBatLord

View attachment 717847
View attachment 717848
I'm completely grasping at straws, but if it is indeed a head mold (and I don't know if it is), it could be a mold of an upcoming figure used for lighting tests after hours?

TP2000

I fly out to Japan on the last day of its operation. Looking forward to Japan's version.

You're going to love it! Be prepared to wrestle with these basic questions and emotions during/after riding the Tokyo Splash Mountain...
  • There is an actual plot to this ride that I can follow even though the dialogue is in Japanese? I had no idea!
  • CM's can be pleasant and efficient at the same time? I had no idea!
  • All the effects can work on a water ride, even in a climate like Tokyo that is harsh and humid and punishing? I had no idea!
  • Disney can operate a wet water ride but send perfectly dry seats into the loading station without fail? I had no idea!
  • Animatronics can still move and emote like Tony Baxter designed them to in 1988? I had no idea!

ProjectXBlog

I'm completely grasping at straws, but if it is indeed a head mold (and I don't know if it is), it could be a mold of an upcoming figure used for lighting tests after hours?
Interesting! I have a slightly better shot that’s not as concealed by the branches — not sure who it is or what its purpose is but there’s definitely someone watching you go down that drop.
IMG_0899.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom