Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Brer Oswald

Were you able to ride? What'd you think?
Got on it 11 times. Loved it. I still prefer the Florida version overall, but there are definitely elements I liked better about the Disneyland version. It was nice to finally be able to take in all of the different scenes, details, and animatronics. That was an opportunity I never thought I would have had again.

mickEblu

Got on it 11 times. Loved it. I still prefer the Florida version overall, but there are definitely elements I liked better about the Disneyland version. It was nice to finally be able to take in all of the different scenes, details, and animatronics. That was an opportunity I never thought I would have had again.

What elements do you like more about the DL version?

Brer Oswald

What elements do you like more about the DL version?
- The exterior is much nicer in my opinion. I like how compact it is, and the atmosphere it creates with Critter Country as a whole. Moreover, I like that Brer Fox’s tree is more prominent, and the briar thorns are more intimidating.
- The music as a whole is a bit better. I love WDW/TDL bluegrass renditions, but these feel like the definitive versions of the songs. Especially Zip which sounds like the definitive Disney song.
- There’s a much better variety of animals, and I think the quality of the “non Brer trio” animatronics is actually better than it was in Florida. It’s astounding since they’re almost 50 years old, but every single one (that was working) moved fluidly and had incredibly charming designs. They’re Disney’s best, and I’m sad they likely aren’t going to see the light of day again. If they had to remove the Brer Rabbit story, I still wish they kept it as “Animal Mountain” or something that would allow the AS animatronics to stay.

For some negatives, the lighting is worse, you get WAY too wet on this version, it moves too fast to take everything in, and the logs aren’t as comfy. Also, the interior set design was better in Florida.

Professortango1

- The exterior is much nicer in my opinion. I like how compact it is, and the atmosphere it creates with Critter Country as a whole. Moreover, I like that Brer Fox’s tree is more prominent, and the briar thorns are more intimidating.
- The music as a whole is a bit better. I love WDW/TDL bluegrass renditions, but these feel like the definitive versions of the songs. Especially Zip which sounds like the definitive Disney song.
- There’s a much better variety of animals, and I think the quality of the “non Brer trio” animatronics is actually better than it was in Florida. It’s astounding since they’re almost 50 years old, but every single one (that was working) moved fluidly and had incredibly charming designs. They’re Disney’s best, and I’m sad they likely aren’t going to see the light of day again. If they had to remove the Brer Rabbit story, I still wish they kept it as “Animal Mountain” or something that would allow the AS animatronics to stay.

For some negatives, the lighting is worse, you get WAY too wet on this version, it moves too fast to take everything in, and the logs aren’t as comfy. Also, the interior set design was better in Florida.
Don't forget about Burrow's Lament! Can't believe that was cut for future versions.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Don't forget about Burrow's Lament! Can't believe that was cut for future versions.
IMO it slows down the story and feels like it solely exists to make use of the mother rabbit and possum animatronics from AS

Maybe it's them not caring anymore but the lighting in the DL version is terrible and at times downright scary. The Br'er Fox animatronic at the end of the Laughin' Place scene is unnerving even with the lights on but it leans into nightmare fuel territory when its shrouded in complete darkness.

Professortango1

IMO it slows down the story and feels like it solely exists to make use of the mother rabbit and possum animatronics from AS

Maybe it's them not caring anymore but the lighting in the DL version is terrible and at times downright scary. The Br'er Fox animatronic at the end of the Laughin' Place scene is unnerving even with the lights on but it leans into nightmare fuel territory when its shrouded in complete darkness.
I think it perfectly transitions from Laughin' Place to the Vultures. It helps to build dread after seeing him captured and leading up to the big scary drop.

Its one of the reasons I find Disneyland's to be my favourite version.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
I think it perfectly transitions from Laughin' Place to the Vultures. It helps to build dread after seeing him captured and leading up to the big scary drop.

Its one of the reasons I find Disneyland's to be my favourite version.
Personally I prefer the quicker transition from Laughin' Place to Burrow Lament on WDW's. It always felt more like there was no time to turn around and that Br'er Fox had sprinted up to the cave to roast Br'er Rabbit, which would be in character for him

zipadee999

Personally I prefer the quicker transition from Laughin' Place to Burrow Lament on WDW's. It always felt more like there was no time to turn around and that Br'er Fox had sprinted up to the cave to roast Br'er Rabbit, which would be in character for him
I also like that Brer Fox has lines in the WDW capture scene. They flesh out his character and make the whole thing make more sense. It really sells that he caught Brer Rabbit and there’s danger. The DL version makes it look more like Brer Rabbit stumbled into a trap and Brer Fox was taking advantage of the opportunity. It’s not quite as threatening

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I also like that Brer Fox has lines in the WDW capture scene. They flesh out his character and make the whole thing make more sense. It really sells that he caught Brer Rabbit and there’s danger. The DL version makes it look more like Brer Rabbit stumbled into a trap and Brer Fox was taking advantage of the opportunity. It’s not quite as threatening
It also helps that we actually see Br'er Fox popping out from behind Br'er Rabbit, beehive in hand.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Regardless of it leaving or not, you'd think the industry leaders of art and entertainment would....do better Photoshop. Like COME ON.
I've excoriated Disney marketing for their bad 'shops, but I don't see the problem here.

Banners like this are usually just layers of elements. To remove one, there's no erasure that needs to be done, you just recomposite with the element you want to get rid of excluded.

Dear Prudence

I've excoriated Disney marketing for their bad 'shops, but I don't see the problem here.

Banners like this are usually just layers of elements. To remove one, there's no erasure that needs to be done, you just recomposite with the element you want to get rid of excluded.
It just looks like it was done in MS Paint. 😬 I just expect a little more from them, I guess.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Managed to go on it 14 times during my trip there, what a great ride. It actually broke down at one point and I was able to walk around and see the animatronics up close, as well as see the backstage area behind the ride. Very neat stuff.

I took gross advantage of staying on resort property and did the ride as many times as I could during the hour or so the park was open before the general public came in. The two or three times I sat in front I got completely soaked, had to change my shirt once because it was sticking to my body. The drop you get the wettest on is the one down to the Laughin' Place, it's extremely sudden and goes faster than the big drop (at least in my opinion).
Lots of stuff was broken and not working on the ride though, which I will provide below:
  • Lights weren't on for a lot of the animatronics. In the first scene alone, the Br'er Fox animatronic and the singing goose on the left were completely dark. Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Terrapin were also pretty dark.
  • Baby possum trio is gone.
  • Br'er Bear above Laughin' Place doesn't talk anymore.
  • Work lights were almost always on behind Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Bear. Boat dog was completely dark and only one stork (the blue one) was present.
  • Face on mother possum in "Burrow's Lament" is falling apart at the mouth seams.
  • Br'er Fox audio doesn't sync with the animation/and or plays too late.
  • Goose riverboat captain barely moves, was completely static in one of my ridethroughs.
  • Pig piano player slumped over, not moving as much as well as he used to.
  • Mr. Bluebird movement is very stiff.
  • Third Swamp Boy moves slowly, other two are pretty fluid still.
  • Lights are dim in the scene where Br'er Gator is chomping on Br'er Fox's tail.
  • Owl at the end of the ride not in sync or doesn't move mouth at all.
There's definitely more broken that I didn't notice/and or forgot about. Regardless, I enjoyed the opportunity to visit Splash one last time (again) before it shutters its doors forever. Ride had extremely long lines throughout the stay, managing to eclipse RotR at some points. Don't even wanna imagine what it'll look like during the final week of operation. The funniest thing was that Winnie the Pooh always had extremely short lines despite how close it was to Splash, you think people are still upset that it replaced CBJ after all these years?

I like WDW's version a lot more but seeing all those vintage animatronics is really cool, can't believe they're turning 50 years old soon. DL version is definitely hampered by how it feels like it was built around the implementation of the AS animatronics, some of them feel randomly placed with little thought like the roadrunner in HDYD? and the fox in the Laughin' Place. Scenes present in concept art and storyboards weren't executed like they were in the other versions, which further proves my theory.

mickEblu

The Laughin' Place drop is by far the wettest. It's like a wave of water comes over the log every single time. You'd think they look at fixing something there during the change, not sure.

It wasn’t always Ike that. I feel like this has only been happening the last few years around the time they redid the final drop flume and left it with those ugly steel plates exposed for a while.

zipadee999

It wasn’t always Ike that. I feel like this has only been happening the last few years around the time they redid the final drop flume and left it with those ugly steel plates exposed for a while.
It was around the time they changed the logs. The new logs couldn’t maneuver the old dip drop so they had to reprofile it. The new logs and the altered drop led to a tsunami effect that the OG designers didn’t intend

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom