Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

DCBaker

Premium Member
According to the Orange County Register, Splash Mountain in Disneyland will close May 7, 2023 for the reimagining into Tiana's Bayou Adventure. May 6 will be the final day to ride.

"Disneylanders finally have a date to mark on their calendars for the last chance to ride Splash Mountain before the Critter Country attraction closes for a yearlong transformation to a new Princess Tiana theme.

Disneyland will close Splash Mountain on May 7 to begin the transformation of the classic log flume ride into Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, according to the Disneyland website.

That means May 6 will be the final day for fans of the 1989 attraction to float through Br’er Rabbit’s Laughing Place and sing along to “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.”

Splash Mountain will reopen at Disneyland and Walt Disney World in 2024 with a “Princess and the Frog” theme based on the 2009 Disney animated film."

Edited to update -

Disneyland officials have confirmed to Todd Martens that this date is incorrect.

Last edited:

Kirby86

DCAs Tower is probably the closest thing we have to them removing an attraction that was still popular with guests. I think what softened the blow a little bit with that is the other Tower of Terror is still in a domestic park. If the Florida one goes away I think you'll see people get angry over the change.
As for Tiana I've said multiple times hope the rides a worthy successor to Splash not much more then we can do then that.

Brer Oswald

In fairness, while I don't know that I've stated it much outright, I've probably provided plenty of evidence for people to read between the lines.

I'm just getting more and more blunt as these conversations continue.

If I'm going on and on about this topic (which I suppose is a valid viewpoint some may have), it's because I've gotten tired of the "Splash is the best ride that has ever been" crowd, who are also guilty of going on and on and dragging the conversation into multiple threads. I suppose I feel the need to counterbalance, in some way, because the martyrdom and hyperbole displayed by some is quite tiresome to me.

If people want to accuse me of the same, that's their right. But if people are going to continue talking about how Splash is the greatest thing ever all the time and everywhere, I don't see any harm in me continuing to state a different viewpoint.
At the end of the day, we’re all going to have different preferences in rides. I know Mansion is one of you favourites, yet it’s one I don’t care much for. A good attraction but nowhere near my top 10, maybe even my top 20. You prefer singing ghosts and I prefer singing animals. There’s really nothing wrong with that.

BlakeW39

At the end of the day, we’re all going to have different preferences in rides. I know Mansion is one of you favourites, yet it’s one I don’t care much for. A good attraction but nowhere near my top 10, maybe even my top 20. You prefer singing ghosts and I prefer singing animals. There’s really nothing wrong with that.

Yeah I've never loved Haunted Mansion either. The queue is better than the ride to me.

BlakeW39

Splash isn’t unique overall. But, okay.

What do you mean it isn't "unique?" Unique in terms of what? It's a hybrid of a classic Disney dark ride and a flume ride, with multiple drops. I mean seriously, your argument is so biased. Splash isn't unique because it's similar to a ride at Knott's, in premise only. What's the premise of Haunted Mansion? Of PotC? What makes either, specifically the former, more unique than Splash. I mean a haunted mansion is one of the most common premises for themed entertainment in the country. I have one at my local apple orchard. So yeah, Splash is unique. Moreso than the majority of Disney rides, that is.

As said before, Splash is a beloved classic ride that will close, as countless others have before. That's not unique. The only thing that makes this unique is the sheer number of people who feel personally victimized by this change and feel the need to prattle on about it in virtually every thread.

I mean, my goodness. I have changes that bother me about the parks, but I don't bring them up in every thread or every ______th post I make the way many of the most fervent Splash devotees have been doing over the past few years.

Also not unique is your conviction that you and only you can determine, based on your own nostalgia, what is or is not the biggest/most important ride closure of all time. At least five other people have beaten you to that. It is, has been, and always be, a subjective thing. Clearly it's your biggest ride/Disney/whatever closure ever. That's great/unfortunate, but as I've said before, Splash has a monopoly on nothing.

And I maintain that it is disingenuous to say Splash is unique here. Those YouTube and the TDL version remaining IS relevant: a ton of YouTube videos and an extant version is a heck of a lot better than fans of, say, Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland, Adventures thru Inner Space, the original versions of the Fantasyland dark rides, and so on have to go on. Going to Tokyo isn't exactly some impossible feat-I've done it twice, it's not hard. You can even get to the resort quickly and affordably with public transportation! You go to WDW, do you not? If you're flying in and going to WDW semi-often there's a very strong chance that it's affordable for you to ALSO go to Tokyo. The point is, a way exists to re-capture the Splash experience, either in person or through high quality ride throughs, that is very, very possible. Actually going to Tokyo may or may not be feasible for everyone, but it is a lot more than someone who really misses almost any other attraction has at their disposal.

And again with the uniqueness? It was literally based off of a twenty year old log ride and does basically the same thing (the distinguishing between what the figures are that another brought up is yet another arbitrary way people are dismissing evidence so that Splash can be the Special One).

I suppose, actually, there is one way in which Splash is special: the option will exist to go to Tokyo and still ride it. No other major attraction really has that. Ok, the DCA Tower of Terror clone in Paris does. Wait, I think I just undermined my point there. Crud. Oh well, it's still more than basically any defunct ride has out there. So if the removal of Splash is a big deal, I can't understand why anyone who feels that way wouldn't be chomping at the bits to go to TDR to go on the best version unless people just want to be martyrs I guess...

For the last time, Splash IS unique... you yourself literally admitted it was unique and that you knew why it elicited a strong response from fans. Why are you arguing semantics? Call it unique or not unique, it doesn't matter, but the fact of the matter is that Splash is by far the most popular and beloved attraction Disney has ever closed in both domestix parks, almost simultaneously. That's why people are prattling on about it,

Vegas Disney Fan

Or is it?

A0099CE5-1EF8-447E-B9C7-EFF8A8960142.jpeg

Kirby86

Yeah I'd hold off on the OC register article being the end-all be-all of when the rides going to close. None of the attractions have days scheduled after May 7th. Pirates isn't scheduled for May 8th either. Sure it's possible May 7th could be the last day but until Disney themselves says it I'd take any information with a grain of salt

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
According to the Orange County Register, Splash Mountain in Disneyland will close May 7, 2023 for the reimagining into Tiana's Bayou Adventure. May 6 will be the final day to ride.

"Disneylanders finally have a date to mark on their calendars for the last chance to ride Splash Mountain before the Critter Country attraction closes for a yearlong transformation to a new Princess Tiana theme.

Disneyland will close Splash Mountain on May 7 to begin the transformation of the classic log flume ride into Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, according to the Disneyland website.

That means May 6 will be the final day for fans of the 1989 attraction to float through Br’er Rabbit’s Laughing Place and sing along to “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.”

Splash Mountain will reopen at Disneyland and Walt Disney World in 2024 with a “Princess and the Frog” theme based on the 2009 Disney animated film."

It's unfortunate they don't list their source. If it's the parks calendar... that's not a good source.

Disney Glimpses

Since the OC Register specifically cites its source as "according to the Disneyland website," I'm leaning towards the editor simply assumed that Splash Mountain's calendar was not shared by the entire resort. Since it is quite soon, it is very odd that Disneyland Resort has no schedule beyond May 7.

1679846136211.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since the OC Register specifically cites its source as "according to the Disneyland website," I'm leaning towards the editor simply assumed that Splash Mountain's calendar was not shared by the entire resort. Since it is quite soon, it is very odd that Disneyland Resort has no schedule beyond May 7.

View attachment 706308
I emailed the author of the article about that...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom