Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

SuddenStorm

At this point they're going to create drama either way.

Close the ride without warning, and people will get upset and be even more irritated than they already are.

Close the ride with a proper send-off period, and the...uh...super devoted will be out in full force, particularly since as far as they know this is the "last one" and their last shot to demonstrate their...grievances? Excessive loyalty to a flume ride? Ability to shout YIKES! opinions through a megaphone both in person and on social media? Fill in the blank with whatever seems appropriate.

They could have avoided this situation if they had closed both rides at the same time. I fully understand WHY DL wanted to delay the closure, but it also feels a bit like they're fanning the flames here.

I'm not sure I like the generalization of Splash Mountain fans as this crazed bunch of fanatics. Sure there's a few nutjobs- but most are just normal Disneyland fans who don't want to see their ride closed, but who aren't going to do anything dumb before Splash's closure.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I'm not sure I like the generalization of Splash Mountain fans as this crazed bunch of fanatics. Sure there's a few nutjobs- but most are just normal Disneyland fans who don't want to see their ride closed, but who aren't going to do anything dumb before Splash's closure.
@PiratesMansion is specifically talking about the nutties, not all Splash fans.

zipadee999

They could always do what Uni did with jaws and have a raffle for the final log. People could pay to put their name into a drawing and 6 names would be drawn for the final log. As was mentioned before, maybe they could have it on standard operations all day but with an after-party for the final rides. You’d pay for the after-party, and a ticket to the after-party would give you a free chance to enter the final log raffle? I think it’s great what happened at MK with everybody coming in droves to support splash one final time, but maybe a structured system rather than just standby would allow the same number of people to come and support, but in a more orderly fashion.

If demand is so high to get a final ride, maybe they shouldn’t be closing it, but I’m sure nobody would ever think of that!

PiratesMansion

Not all Splash Mountain fans. Not even most of them. But let's not pretend that there aren't people who haven't gone out of their way to promote an unhealthy level of attachment to the ride or film or whatever either here or on social media. Those people are not at all hard to find and it would take some pretty strong selective bias to say that there aren't at least a few Splash fans that fit that description. Some, not all. But those some have certainly made their presence difficult to ignore.

When the Great Movie Ride closed, for example, so far as I know there weren't people who had never been to Walt Disney World going over to those side of the boards and interjecting their personal conspiracy theories about GMR and why it was being closed for the entire duration of the period before the ride's closure, constantly, loudly, and publically for all to see.

There is a unique level of extra-ness that I do not recall seeing with any previous ride closure happening with Splash. And, as I've said before, I don't believe it's because Splash is this uniquely perfect hallowed classic, or that none of the other rides that have closed at Disney parks before have fit the description of being beloved classics, which is demonstrably untrue.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

Not all Splash Mountain fans. Not even most of them. But let's not pretend that there aren't people who haven't gone out of their way to promote an unhealthy level of attachment to the ride or film or whatever either here or on social media. Those people are not at all hard to find and it would take some pretty strong selective bias to say that there aren't at least a few Splash fans that fit that description. Some, not all. But those some have certainly made their presence difficult to ignore.

When the Great Movie Ride closed, for example, so far as I know there weren't people who had never been to Walt Disney World going over to those side of the boards and interjecting their personal conspiracy theories about GMR and why it was being closed for the entire duration of the period before the ride's closure, constantly, loudly, and publically for all to see.

There is a unique level of extra-ness that I do not recall seeing with any previous ride closure happening with Splash. And, as I've said before, I don't believe it's because Splash is this uniquely perfect hallowed classic, or that none of the other rides that have closed at Disney parks before have fit the description of being beloved classics, which is demonstrably untrue.

I mean, Splash Mountain was the best ride at the all of the 3 most popular theme parks on earth. For more than 30 years. People grew up with it. And it wasn't some niche attraction like Horizons where it didn't last long and superfans loved it but most people didn't and so on and so forth. So yeah, the backlash is partly due to the unique qualities of Splash Mountain as an attraction.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

I mean, Splash Mountain was the best ride at the top 3 most popular theme parks on earth. For more than 30 years. People grew up with it. And it wasn't some niche attraction like Horizons where it didn't last long and superfans loved it but most people didn't and so on and so forth. So yeah, the backlash is partly due to the unique qualities of Splash Mountain as an attraction.
Yeah, Splash has absolutely been a top 3 attraction. To pretend it wasn’t a classic is some next level revisionism. I think the only rides you’d probably get a similar reaction to would be Pirates, Mansion, and Small World. Fans would definitely go ballistic and make their dissatisfaction known. But Disney would never touch Pirates or Mansion because they are merch sellers.

BlakeW39

Yeah, Splash has absolutely been a top 3 attraction. To pretend it wasn’t a classic is some next level revisionism. I think the only rides you’d probably get a similar reaction to would be Pirates, Mansion, and Small World. Fans would definitely go ballistic and make their dissatisfaction known. But Disney would never touch Pirates or Mansion because they are merch sellers.

Also, closing a theme park attraction isn't like anything that can happen in other realms of entertainment. When Splash closes, most of its fans will never get to experience it again, and that's kind of sad for some of us, though many would not admit it (being sad over a theme park ride, that is) -- I will though LOL. It's just a complete removal from the face of the earth, you can't do that with anything but theme parks really. Real, physical places.

That said, can someone explain to me how Splash wasn't a merch seller? I mean did it really sell less merch than other popular Disneyland/WDW rides?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Disney doesn’t need to do an after hours event when this closes, unless they’re greedy and want to take advantage. Just announce the closing date and let people get their last rides in. It doesn’t need to be complicated.

zipadee999

Disney doesn’t need to do an after hours event when this closes, unless they’re greedy and want to take advantage. Just announce the closing date and let people get their last rides in. It doesn’t need to be complicated.
And that’s the obvious option, but if Disney is really that worried about the ‘last to ride’ debacle it’s at least an option to give to whole thing more structure.

SplashJacket

And that’s the obvious option, but if Disney is really that worried about the ‘last to ride’ debacle it’s at least an option to give to whole thing more structure.
WDW hardly had an issue on the last day.

Y'all make it sound like the Haymarket Riot happened on closing day.

zipadee999

WDW hardly had an issue on the last day.

Y'all make it sound like the Haymarket Riot happened on closing day.
To be fair personally I was happy to see how the last day went, people SHOULD be out in droves supporting splash. Apparently Disney just didn’t like how much hoopla it drew, so I just laid out a potential option that they might choose to limit the hoopla (even though I don’t think the hoopla should be limited!)

PiratesMansion

I mean, Splash Mountain was the best ride at the all of the 3 most popular theme parks on earth. For more than 30 years. People grew up with it. And it wasn't some niche attraction like Horizons where it didn't last long and superfans loved it but most people didn't and so on and so forth. So yeah, the backlash is partly due to the unique qualities of Splash Mountain as an attraction.
I'm perfectly aware of why the backlash has occurred. It's the loss of an iconic attraction, coupled with some unfortunate culture war-style push and pull that has further amplified the rhetoric.

But I dispute the notion that it was the best ride ever at three parks. It was not-it was simply the best ride for you. Which is fine, and I cannot ever invalidate that. But it does frustrate me that many of the most fervent Splash fans cannot see, or do not want to see, that not every person thought Splash was the greatest thing ever. They act as if everyone else is in denial when people just have different opinions. It was/is undoubtedly a well done, iconic attraction. However, not everyone felt is was the iconic attraction. Personally, while I always thought Splash was a good attraction, it was never one of my absolute favorites. Especially not at Disneyland, as I far preferred the subsequent versions of the ride, and only rode Splash once a trip because I always got drenched whether I wanted to or not. By comparison, I always do my darndest to ride Space Mountain multiple times a day and have frequently ended my Disneyland nights going back and forth between Pirates and Mansion, sometimes with Indy thrown in. I easily could have run over there and thrown Splash into the rotation, but never once did it seem like something I'd want to do. I can easily name ten attractions at Disneyland Park in particular that I think are more enjoyable/important to my day/trip than Splash Mountain. From my perspective it was easily the least important of the rides that might be considered 'sacred'. So that, coupled with the exhausting discourse of the past two years, means that I will shed no tears when it finally closes. I can't blame people who will be upset when it's closed for good, assuming they're not being a little extra, but for me Splash was never one of my rides in the way that it clearly is for many, and I don't appreciate the repeated assumption on the part of many that obviously everyone agrees that Splash Mountain is one of the top two/three/five Disney attractions ever made. I don't, and I know I'm not the only person on this forum who doesn't.

At any rate, how unique was Splash really? There were three of them and all steal pretty blatantly from the flume at Knott's. I'm not denying that it's one of the top watermarks of its type of ride, but with Pirates (or IASW, if you're so inclined) or Space, you really have Disney doing something at a new level in a way that hadn't been done before. With Splash, Disney just did a really nice version of what Knott's had done twenty years prior. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not really unique.

Who here is saying it wasn't a classic? I don't see one person doing that. What is happening is that not everyone agrees about the level of classic that it was, which is fine, but is being interpreted by some who view Splash as one of their definitive Disney attractions as something of a personal attack. From my end, Splash cannot be a top three attraction when you have named what are probably the actual top three, certainly from a historical perspective, in addition to being the three with the biggest impact on pop culture. At the very least, I would put all three of them above Splash Mountain for myself, and surely I can't be the only one who feels that way. It's fine. Doesn't mean Splash isn't a classic, just that not everyone would agree that it was a top 3 attraction.
Also, closing a theme park attraction isn't like anything that can happen in other realms of entertainment. When Splash closes, most of its fans will never get to experience it again, and that's kind of sad for some of us, though many would not admit it (being sad over a theme park ride, that is) -- I will though LOL. It's just a complete removal from the face of the earth, you can't do that with anything but theme parks really. Real, physical places.

Now, add onto that that the reasons for the ride's closure ar extremely controversial for reasons I won't speak on.... and voila. Makes perfect sense there'd be some backlash at its closure.

That said, can someone explain to me how Splash wasn't a merch seller? I mean did it really sell less merch than other popular Disneyland/WDW rides?
Except it's really not a complete removal from the face of the earth. Splash will continue to exist on YouTube, which is not something that could be said about a number of other closed rides and classics. And if that's not good enough, it will also continue to be rideable in Tokyo for the foreseeable future, which was always the best version of the attraction anyway. Maybe when all three close, if that even happens, then we can talk, but there's no indication that Tokyo's is closing any time soon.

So while I agree that the closing of a theme park attraction is a bigger deal than many other forms of entertainment, it's disingenous to say that Splash is uniquely facing a lot of memory-holing here that absolutely haven't applied to other attractions. Splash is actually better off here than most, because there will be plenty of videos to relive the ride, and a version of the ride that will literally still exist and be rideable in Tokyo. The ride course itself will be the same layout. It could easily be much worse than it will be for Splash.

zipadee999

What debacle? What would they be worried about, besides loony fans?
They supposedly didn’t like everyone still lining up at midnight for a ride that they’re trying to make everyone believe is ‘terrible’ and should be swept under the rug. That’s why some believe that the DL version might just not open some morning so the fans can’t go and show support

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
They supposedly didn’t like everyone still lining up at midnight for a ride that they’re trying to make everyone believe is ‘terrible’ and should be swept under the rug. That’s why some believe that the DL version might just not open some morning so the fans can’t go and show support
That’s how the parks operate, at least here. All queues stay open until the very last minute.

What happened was business as usual, in terms of that. If you’re familiar with DL and the way they close things out, especially popular things, you’ll know they don’t just shut down operations without warning. They allow the fans to take part up until the end. I highly doubt they’re planning to do a 180.

BlakeW39

I'm perfectly aware of why the backlash has occurred. It's the loss of an iconic attraction, coupled with some unfortunate culture war-style push and pull that has further amplified the rhetoric.

But I dispute the notion that it was the best ride ever at three parks. It was not-it was simply the best ride for you. Which is fine, and I cannot ever invalidate that. But it does frustrate me that many of the most fervent Splash fans cannot see, or do not want to see, that not every person thought Splash was the greatest thing ever. They act as if everyone else is in denial when people just have different opinions. It was/is undoubtedly a well done, iconic attraction. However, not everyone felt is was the iconic attraction. Personally, while I always thought Splash was a good attraction, it was never one of my absolute favorites. Especially not at Disneyland, as I far preferred the subsequent versions of the ride, and only rode Splash once a trip because I always got drenched whether I wanted to or not. By comparison, I always do my darndest to ride Space Mountain multiple times a day and have frequently ended my Disneyland nights going back and forth between Pirates and Mansion, sometimes with Indy thrown in. I easily could have run over there and thrown Splash into the rotation, but never once did it seem like something I'd want to do. I can easily name ten attractions at Disneyland Park in particular that I think are more enjoyable/important to my day/trip than Splash Mountain. From my perspective it was easily the least important of the rides that might be considered 'sacred'. So that, coupled with the exhausting discourse of the past two years, means that I will shed no tears when it finally closes. I can't blame people who will be upset when it's closed for good, assuming they're not being a little extra, but for me Splash was never one of my rides in the way that it clearly is for many, and I don't appreciate the repeated assumption on the part of many that obviously everyone agrees that Splash Mountain is one of the top two/three/five Disney attractions ever made. I don't, and I know I'm not the only person on this forum who doesn't.

At any rate, how unique was Splash really? There were three of them and all steal pretty blatantly from the flume at Knott's. I'm not denying that it's one of the top watermarks of its type of ride, but with Pirates (or IASW, if you're so inclined) or Space, you really have Disney doing something at a new level in a way that hadn't been done before. With Splash, Disney just did a really nice version of what Knott's had done twenty years prior. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not really unique.

Who here is saying it wasn't a classic? I don't see one person doing that. What is happening is that not everyone agrees about the level of classic that it was, which is fine, but is being interpreted by some who view Splash as one of their definitive Disney attractions as something of a personal attack. From my end, Splash cannot be a top three attraction when you have named what are probably the actual top three, certainly from a historical perspective, in addition to being the three with the biggest impact on pop culture. At the very least, I would put all three of them above Splash Mountain for myself, and surely I can't be the only one who feels that way. It's fine. Doesn't mean Splash isn't a classic, just that not everyone would agree that it was a top 3 attraction.

Except it's really not a complete removal from the face of the earth. Splash will continue to exist on YouTube, which is not something that could be said about a number of other closed rides and classics. And if that's not good enough, it will also continue to be rideable in Tokyo for the foreseeable future, which was always the best version of the attraction anyway. Maybe when all three close, if that even happens, then we can talk, but there's no indication that Tokyo's is closing any time soon.

So while I agree that the closing of a theme park attraction is a bigger deal than many other forms of entertainment, it's disingenous to say that Splash is uniquely facing a lot of memory-holing here that absolutely haven't applied to other attractions. Splash is actually better off here than most, because there will be plenty of videos to relive the ride, and a version of the ride that will literally still exist and be rideable in Tokyo. The ride course itself will be the same layout. It could easily be much worse than it will be for Splash.

If you know the reasoning behind the backlash at Splash being closed, then why are you complaining right now? Why did you write a novella about it?

Splash Mountain closes, people like me complain. Then people like you complain about other people complaining. You being tired of hearing about it does not obligate the rest of us to shut up.

P.S. it's not disingenuous to say Splash is in a unique position, lmao. No ride even close to as beloved as Splash has ever closed at a theme park. If there has, go ahead and name one. (hint: nothing at EPCOT or Disneyland). And the ride being in YouTube is irrelevant and ditto for Tokyo, being that one cannot ride Splash Mountain on YouTube...(????).. and very few people will be fortunate enough to go to Tokyo so if any argument here is disingenuous, it's this one.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
If you know the reasoning behind the backlash at Splash being closed, then why are you complaining right now? Why did you write a novella about it?

Splash Mountain closes, people like me complain. Then people like you complain about other people complaining. You being tired of hearing about it does not obligate the rest of us to shut up.

P.S. it's not disingenuous to say Splash is in a unique position, lmao. No ride even close to as beloved as Splash has ever closed at a theme park. If there has, go ahead and name one. (hint: nothing at EPCOT or Disneyland). And the ride being in YouTube is irrelevant and ditto for Tokyo, being that one cannot ride Splash Mountain on YouTube...(????).. and very few people will be fortunate enough to go to Tokyo so if any argument here is disingenuous, it's this one.
He’s not complaining. Why did you respond with a short story?

He’s also not encouraging people to shut up. What he’s saying is there are fans, such as yourself, who make sweeping claims about the ride and maybe expect others to agree with you.

The second sentence in your third paragraph is absurd and an assumption based on your own bias with no legitimate evidence. We’ve been through this before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom