Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Now we’re saying it’s not unique? To me, Splash set itself out by being the only Disney dark ride attraction to have an extensive cast of cartoon animal animatronics. All of the other E Ticket animatronic rides are all human centric. Humans are boring.
It really isn’t as unique as you think it is. Knott’s did it before.

Brer Oswald

No, I’m referring to Timber Mountain Log Ride.
Timber Mountain Log Ride is a ride with “realistic” human figures. I said that what I felt made Splash unique was that it was a dark ride filled with cartoon animatronic animals. I hardly care about the ride system of Splash…or any ride for that matter. It’s all about the set design, animatronics, and music for me.

It’s also why I love the lower tech Fantasyland rides, despite most of them sharing similar ride systems.

BlakeW39

It really isn’t as unique as you think it is. Knott’s did it before.

Because Haunted Mansion is sooo unique... yeah sure. All of Disney's attractions take influence from other places. But between IASW, PotC, Splash, and HM, only IASW is more unique than Splash is.

EDIT: unique to Disney I mean. Obviously Splash is based on SotS

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Timber Mountain Log Ride is a ride with “realistic” human figures. I said that what I felt made Splash unique was that it was a dark ride filled with cartoon animatronic animals. I hardly care about the ride system of Splash…or any ride for that matter. It’s all about the set design, animatronics, and music for me.

It’s also why I love the lower tech Fantasyland rides, despite most of them sharing similar ride systems.
The overall concept of the ride is the same.

We can agree to disagree, but Knott’s did it first, whether the animatronics are singing animals or not, and Splash isn’t very unique.

PiratesMansion

If you know the reasoning behind the backlash at Splash being closed, then why are you complaining right now? Why did you write a novella about it?

Splash Mountain closes, people like me complain. Then people like you complain about other people complaining. You being tired of hearing about it does not obligate the rest of us to shut up.

P.S. it's not disingenuous to say Splash is in a unique position, lmao. No ride even close to as beloved as Splash has ever closed at a theme park. If there has, go ahead and name one. (hint: nothing at EPCOT or Disneyland). And the ride being in YouTube is irrelevant and ditto for Tokyo, being that one cannot ride Splash Mountain on YouTube...(????).. and very few people will be fortunate enough to go to Tokyo so if any argument here is disingenuous, it's this one.
As said before, Splash is a beloved classic ride that will close, as countless others have before. That's not unique. The only thing that makes this unique is the sheer number of people who feel personally victimized by this change and feel the need to prattle on about it in virtually every thread.

I mean, my goodness. I have changes that bother me about the parks, but I don't bring them up in every thread or every ______th post I make the way many of the most fervent Splash devotees have been doing over the past few years.

Also not unique is your conviction that you and only you can determine, based on your own nostalgia, what is or is not the biggest/most important ride closure of all time. At least five other people have beaten you to that. It is, has been, and always be, a subjective thing. Clearly it's your biggest ride/Disney/whatever closure ever. That's great/unfortunate, but as I've said before, Splash has a monopoly on nothing.

And I maintain that it is disingenuous to say Splash is unique here. Those YouTube and the TDL version remaining IS relevant: a ton of YouTube videos and an extant version is a heck of a lot better than fans of, say, Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland, Adventures thru Inner Space, the original versions of the Fantasyland dark rides, and so on have to go on.

And again with the uniqueness? It was literally based off of a twenty year old log ride and does basically the same thing (the distinguishing between what the figures are that another brought up is yet another arbitrary way people are dismissing evidence so that Splash can be the Special One).

I suppose, actually, there is one way in which Splash is special: the option will exist to go to Tokyo and still ride it. No other major attraction really has that. Ok, the DCA Tower of Terror clone in Paris does. Wait, I think I just undermined my point there. Crud. Oh well, it's still more than basically any defunct ride has out there. So if the removal of Splash is a big deal, I can't understand why anyone who feels that way wouldn't be chomping at the bits to go to TDR to go on the best version.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

P.S. it's not disingenuous to say Splash is in a unique position, lmao. No ride even close to as beloved as Splash has ever closed at a theme park. If there has, go ahead and name one. (hint: nothing at EPCOT or Disneyland). And the ride being in YouTube is irrelevant and ditto for Tokyo, being that one cannot ride Splash Mountain on YouTube...(????).. and very few people will be fortunate enough to go to Tokyo so if any argument here is disingenuous, it's this one.

Tower of Terror at DCA was likely the closest, and people were very vocal and upset over the decision to retheme it... the complaints only diminished when Guardians opened and people realized the new ride was as enjoyable as Tower. Horizons was likely the second closest and people still haven’t gotten over its closure because Mission Space is still seen as an inferior ride.

The quality of the Tiana ride will ultimately determine if the complaints largely stop (Guardians) or if people will still be complaining about it closing decades later (Horizons).

BasiltheBatLord

I actually would argue that Splash is indeed the "biggest" closure of an attraction in Disney park history. It is/was a huge e-ticket and an iconic ride which existed for 30+ years and became a household name integrated in American culture even among those who didn't follow the parks closely. It was also associated with a formerly "iconic" Disney song in Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, even if the IP it's based on was never that well known among the general public.

I think the GP is going to continue referring to the ride as "Splash Mountain" for years to come. Especially since "Tiana's Bayou Adventure" rolls off the tongue as smoothly as sandpaper.

PiratesMansion

At Disneyland, couldn’t agree more.

At Magic Kingdom, it was easily the best ride for me.
The veneration of Splash makes a lot more sense to me from a WDW/TDL perspective. Whereas as a seven year old doing my first Disney park visit, DL's Splash was fun but didn't stick with me in the way that HM, POTC, IASW, BTM, or the Matterhorn did. Weirdly, when I would try and remember what the ride was like, I remembered the outdoor portion and the big drop but almost nothing in between. The interior stuff just didn't stuck with me in the same way. What I remembered was literally meandering around the mountain, Are Those Geese?, big drop, Zip a Dee Doo Dah!

Maybe I would be more attached to Splash if we had done Splash Mountain on my first WDW trip, which in some ways was formative in cementing my preferences; certainly MK in 1998 would have benefitted from something else I was wildly enthusiastic about, that I could easily point to as being better than Disneyland, after I was comparatively underwhelmed by MK's Small World and Pirates. Alas, we didn't ride MK's Splash that trip, and so I went thirteen years between Splash Mountain rides, and WDW's was actually the last version of the ride I did.

That probably accounts for my relative apathy towards Splash more than any qualities of the actual ride, honestly.

mickEblu

The veneration of Splash makes a lot more sense to me from a WDW/TDL perspective. Whereas as a seven year old doing my first Disney park visit, DL's Splash was fun but didn't stick with me in the way that HM, POTC, IASW, BTM, or the Matterhorn did. Weirdly, when I would try and remember what the ride was like, I remembered the outdoor portion and the big drop but almost nothing in between. The interior stuff just didn't stuck with me in the same way. What I remembered was literally meandering around the mountain, Are Those Geese?, big drop, Zip a Dee Doo Dah!

Maybe I would be more attached to Splash if we had done Splash Mountain on my first WDW trip, which in some ways was formative in cementing my preferences; certainly MK in 1998 would have benefitted from something else I was wildly enthusiastic about, that I could easily point to as being better than Disneyland, after I was comparatively underwhelmed by MK's Small World and Pirates. Alas, we didn't ride MK's Splash that trip, and so I went thirteen years between Splash Mountain rides, and WDW's was actually the last version of the ride I did.

That probably accounts for my relative apathy towards Splash more than any qualities of the actual ride, honestly.

Bruhhh we get it. You don’t think Splash Mountain (or now Splash at DL) is great. Really repetitive and ironic considering your complaints about others being repetitive.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Bruhhh we get it. You don’t think Splash Mountain (or now Splash at DL) is great. Really repetitive and ironic considering your complaints about others being repetitive.
He provided a well-thought out explanation as to why he feels the way he does. Pretty sure this is the first time we’ve admitted Splash isn’t our favorite.

Nothing repetitive at all. No irony either.

PiratesMansion

@PiratesMansion has not gone on and on and on about why SM isn’t one of his favorite rides.
In fairness, while I don't know that I've stated it much outright, I've probably provided plenty of evidence for people to read between the lines.

I'm just getting more and more blunt as these conversations continue.

If I'm going on and on about this topic (which I suppose is a valid viewpoint some may have), it's because I've gotten tired of the "Splash is the best ride that has ever been" crowd, who are also guilty of going on and on and dragging the conversation into multiple threads. I suppose I feel the need to counterbalance, in some way, because the martyrdom and hyperbole displayed by some is quite tiresome to me.

If people want to accuse me of the same, that's their right. But if people are going to continue talking about how Splash is the greatest thing ever all the time and everywhere, I don't see any harm in me continuing to state a different viewpoint.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
In fairness, while I don't know that I've stated it much outright, I've probably provided plenty of evidence for people to read between the lines.

I'm just getting more and more blunt as these conversations continue.

If I'm going on and on about this topic (which I suppose is a valid viewpoint some may have), it's because I've gotten tired of the "Splash is the best ride that has ever been" crowd, who are also guilty of going on and on and dragging the conversation into multiple threads. I suppose I feel the need to counterbalance, in some way, because the martyrdom and hyperbole displayed by some is quite tiresome to me.

If people want to accuse me of the same, that's their right. But if people are going to continue talking about how Splash is the greatest thing ever all the time and everywhere, I don't see any harm in me continuing to state a different viewpoint.
Pretty sure you’ve never outright said in this thread that it’s not one of your favorites. That’s what I mean. I think the lack of praise for the ride coming from the both of us is a clue, but this is definitely my first time outright admitting that I’m not a fan of it, and I’m pretty sure it’s the first time for you. If it’s not, I must’ve missed it.

I agree about countering. The exaggeration is both tiring and even weird, at this point. Looking forward to the ride finally closing, the start of construction, and the release of more updates so this thread can finally be used for what it was intended for. I wish Disney would hurry up.

SplashJacket

The reason people are angsty about Splash going away is because it’s a great ride.

The Great Movie Ride was a great ride.

Horizons was a great ride.

World of Motion was a great ride.

DCA’s ToT was a great ride.

I’d argue, though, that Horizons and GMR were both individually more significant removals. Both rides saw a total elimination of theme, ride system, concept, and story.

Guardians is well done and super fun. ToT may have died, but its guts are still there.

Splash, may be dying as well, but its guts will remain. Obviously the execution of the flesh will decide whether it’s well done, but Splash would still be a great ride even if it was themed like Dudley at Islands.

I think the context in which Splash is getting removed is the driving contentious factor.

Horizons, GMR, WoM, were all very dated when they closed. They still had fans, people still loved them, but they were admittedly dated.

ToT at DCA was a notable exception. It had decades of relevancy left. Same with Splash. People were very upset about ToT, but as mentioned previously, Guardians is actually very good.

From everything I’ve heard about TBA, I’ve gone from totally against, to cautiously optimistic, to genuinely excited (especially at Disneyland).

If they can deliver, the anger should fade, but the context surrounding its removal adds an entire extra element which will fuel the rage for a while.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom