Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
How so? Other than the mess this morning, I haven't heard any insider give a date or timeframe for closure in some time. Nothing that has happened has been inconsistent with what has been said within the past few months.
Exactly. It was reported that MK’s would close first and ours would go down likely in May. No inconsistencies yet. We’ll see.

Kirby86

I imagine Disney wants them to change it quite badly, but there's not a whole lot they can do about it to my understanding.

Do you mean licensing agreement as in how TDR functions in relation to Disney? If so: I don't believe Disney can force the OLC to do anything with Splash. That would be counter to their established agreement, in which Disney is basically the OLC's only authorized vendor and Tokyo chooses to build-and do all the financing for-whatever they like from Disney. I don't know if there are any clauses of the contract that Disney might exploit to change that, but I can't imagine OLC would take too kindly to Disney forcing them to retheme an entire ride and land that are extremely popular and also footing none of the bill. It would do a lot of damage to their existing partnership.

But seeing as most US Disney fans don't know that TDR exists, since it's never talked about unless Disney absolutely has to, Disney might just choose to studiously ignore the fact that Splash is still around over there. And they might even get away with it, since the US Disney parks fans more often than not can't even fathom going to the Disney resort on the other side of this country, let alone one that's international.
Yeah I was assuming it's an in perpetuity thing where OLC pays the yearly licensing fee to use whatever Disney Characters they want to use that Disney and them already agreed too. I also don't believe that they can just unilaterally force OLC to remove or retheme the ride.

Nirya

I still beg to disagree. Timber Mountain was the first scenic log flume, but splash is unique in that it tells a linear story and uses the layout as a means to do that. Timber Mountain is a great ride, but it’s like riding a log through a wilderness diorama you’d see at Bass Pro Shops with some vignettes and disconnected show scenes along the way. The overhauled version we see today tells more of a story, even if it still isn’t quite to the level we see on splash, but the original version was simply dioramas and vignettes. A huge portion of the interior scenes on the original version were just mock trees with some taxidermy. This is the version that Splash opened to compete with, not the current version that we see. I’ll give it to you that Timber Mountain introduced theming to log flumes, but Splash introduced storytelling and immersion to log flumes.

No it didn't. It isn't even the first flume ride to use the Uncle Remus story! Six Flags Over Georgia did it much earlier!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m not entirely convinced Splash will go down until September. Closing a major water attraction right before the summer season seems like a bad idea.
It'll be closed for a year. No matter when they close it, it will be over some year's Summer. So, timing to close it doesn't really matter.

Best intel we have is that there's one set of crews to retheme both. When MK's deconstruction crew is done, they'll head to DL, and that's when DL's will go down.

Kirby86

It'll be closed for a year. No matter when they close it, it will be over some year's Summer. So, timing to close it doesn't really matter.

Best intel we have is that there's one set of crews to retheme both. When MK's deconstruction crew is done, they'll head to DL, and that's when DL's will go down.
To play devils advocate if they can get the current ride through most of this summer so you're only missing one summer I can see the benefit of that from a park ops perspective. Missing one summer is a better option than two of them.

Nirya

Ideally the park would want the one-year to miss this summer rather than next summer, because if it misses next summer then it opens in the fall when water rides will be less popular (though with a new ride and typical SoCal weather I can't imagine that will be a dealbreaker).

Kirby86

Ideally the park would want the one-year to miss this summer rather than next summer, because if it misses next summer then it opens in the fall when water rides will be less popular (though with a new ride and typical SoCal weather I can't imagine that will be a dealbreaker).
It's scheduled to open in late 2024 so no matter what it will be missing next summer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How embarrassing.

Doesn't mean it's still not closing in May, just not that specific day

Time will tell. Today was a horrible look for the OC Register a site EVERYONE here uses as a source for most of the narrative on this site in the Disneyland Forum and this thread in particular. A horrible look for them, indeed.

In this non-stop back and forth, all parties are annoying.

Mickey's Pal

That is how conversations work. Someone speaks then the next person goes. Conversations are back and forth. No where in the qoutes you posted were we insulting each other. Until there is a confirmed closing date there is nothing else to talk about except if it is going to close or not. You have the ignore option available to you. Have a nice day.

SplashJacket

Can’t quote the President of Animal Kingdom’s post since it lacks text, but complaining about journalistic integrity is not apart of the incessant back and forth.

There are many Disney sites that I could easily see making the same mistake, but those sites aren’t really concerned with real journalism.

OCR actually is a news organization, but their article earlier is concerning. They didn’t have a source besides a whim they didn’t care to verify.

@Mickey's Pal isn’t debating the closing date, he’s validly complaining about the article and OCR.

SplashJacket

Nah, he's smugly considering this a victory that supports his flawed conspiracy theory that TWDC suddenly had a change of heart and now won't close Spash Mountain in California, actually.
Yes, they are. They’re claiming the ride isn’t closing at all.
Tickle me illiterate. Please quote where that claim was made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom