Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

pwnbeaver

I'm going to Disneyland with my wife for our first trip this July. She was sad that Splash will be closed since it is her favourite ride.

She is Japanese and only has experience with TDL, but she thinks Splash is the cutest ride and really loves it. I told her it was going to become a Tiana ride and her response was, "Oh, that sounds good," after initial annoyance when she thought the ride was going away.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
For those who know Disneyland better; do you think they're gonna allow the 300 minute waits Florida’s got on its final night or do you think it'll be more structured and event like?

Brer Oswald

I'm right there with you.

But then, I'm also of the generation that whenever I went on Splash Mountain at Disneyland all I saw was old America Sings stuff. Plus, the Splash Mountain at Disneyland was paced and set so badly that I honestly had no idea there was a plotline or story on that ride for the first few years until I went on the WDW version for the first time around 1994. Oh, this ride has a plot? Who knew?!?

This was all pre-Internet, so saying that now seems ridiculous and idiotic. But at the time, it was completely normal. The average rider on Splash Mountain circa 1990 had absolutely no idea what the heck was going on. But hang on for the big drop! Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!

I'm also non-plussed because I really like the music and vibe of Princess & The Frog! Even if the backstory of a worker-owned employee cooperative that takes women owned businesses and then turns them over to employee ownership stops my toe tapping to the music.
This definitely seems to be a decision that has gotten the younger generations of fans a lot more upset than the older generations that went to the parks before the ride opened, which makes sense.

Though it’s a little ironic because Disney seems to think they are making this change for the younger generations. I think Iger severely underestimated the importance of nostalgia in comparison to his predecessor.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Going back a few pages about Iger possibly keeping Splash with the SotS theme, never forget he said this right before COVID, and the eventual retheme announcement: “I’ve felt as long as I’ve been CEO that Song of the South — even with a disclaimer — was just not appropriate in today’s world…It’s just hard, given the depictions in some of those films, to bring them out today without in some form or another offending people, so we’ve decided not to do that.”

SplashJacket

As someone who’s account is named after Splash Mountain, I am genuinely excited for Disneyland’s transformation.

Splash looks quite odd from within Haunted Mansion’s queue. A diminished Mountain will help with the sight lines, and the ride was far inferior to the Tokyo and Orlando iterations, so it wouldn’t be hard for TBA to be an improvement.

Additionally, its placement in an expanded New Orleans Square (an already fantastic New Orleans land) should further cement the land as world-class.

SuddenStorm

As someone who’s account is named after Splash Mountain, I am genuinely excited for Disneyland’s transformation.

Splash looks quite odd from within Haunted Mansion’s queue. A diminished Mountain will help with the sight lines, and the ride was far inferior to the Tokyo and Orlando iterations, so it wouldn’t be hard for TBA to be an improvement.

Additionally, its placement in an expanded New Orleans Square (an already fantastic New Orleans land) should further cement the land as world-class.

It looks like you're also a Figment fan- so I imagine you're used to seeing your favorite attractions get ruined... :p🤣

Kirby86

I've always been on the side that Disneyland is a better fit overall for this project due to its location next to New Orleans Square. I'd prefer there be no change but for Land Tiana fits in pretty well and maybe they can do something with the inside show scenes. The issue they will run into is Lands flume is Faster then Worlds. Magic Kingdoms had more time to tell the story and unless they are changing the entire ride system that will still be a limitation.

Vegas Disney Fan

I've always been on the side that Disneyland is a better fit overall for this project due to its location next to New Orleans Square. I'd prefer there be no change but for Land Tiana fits in pretty well and maybe they can do something with the inside show scenes. The issue they will run into is Lands flume is Faster than Worlds. Magic Kingdoms had more time to tell the story and unless they are changing the entire ride system that will still be a limitation.

I also think it’s a good fit for land, not in world though, makes me wonder if the reception would have been any better if they announced Tiana in land and something western (Davy Crocket ?) in world or if people would still have still been just as upset about losing Splash.

socaljoeyb

I personally feel they're just saying "Late" 2024 to give themselves an excuse to move to 2025 if need be and not too many eyes would bat.
I'm thinking this got delayed to Summer 25 and they are holding Splash open longer. Maybe let the WDI team get started on Florida first?

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Their business model is about the same. One is good at smooth talking, the other is blunt and couldn’t charm a fish.
You are being kind. B.I. is a make it bigger, grow it, more profitability guy with delusions of grandeur that is good at playing chess and diplomatic/business speak. B.C. is a knuckle dragging, slobbering, incoherent, barely able to play checkers, have no business sense and greedy person. Yeah, I would say there is a bit of difference between the two. The commonality is both are corporate types neither creative.

Brer Oswald

Regardless of his statement or opinion, who wants to bet that Bob Iger has never seen the movie or been on the ride. We can certainly say this about Chapek who said it was a 60 year old ride from a movie about happy slaves.

I imagine the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
I can make an educated guess that he probably hasn’t. He was tired of getting the same question every single investor meeting.

TP2000

For those who know Disneyland better; do you think they're gonna allow the 300 minute waits Florida’s got on its final night or do you think it'll be more structured and event like?

What they need to do is not announce a thing. Just close it randomly on a Tuesday in early May, traditionally a slow time of year.

Don't tell a soul, not even the Dockers-clad managers. Just keep scheduling the CM's there as if its normal, but on Tuesday May 2nd around 10:00pm after the park is closed, Ken Potrock calls the King Of Dockers-Clad Managers at home and tells him "Don't open Splash Mountain in the morning, cancel all the shifts, it's closed." Put up a "Sorry, Folks!" sign in front of the locked barn doors, station a few Security guards discreetly around the facility to keep out neckbeard vloggers and lookyloo CM's, and call it done.

If they do actually announce a final closing date for Splash Mountain, even if it's just two days in advance, they can expect pandemonium and drama and human misery to unfold in Critter Country that last day. And they'll have no one to blame but themselves for that.

They've already said repeatedly the log ride is closing. So just close it randomly one evening without telling a soul except a few TDA execs.

PiratesMansion

What they need to do is not announce a thing. Just close it randomly on a Tuesday in early May, traditionally a slow time of year.

Don't tell a soul, not even the Dockers-clad managers. Just keep scheduling the CM's there as if its normal, but on Tuesday May 2nd around 10:00pm after the park is closed, Ken Potrock calls the King Of Dockers-Clad Managers at home and tells him "Don't open Splash Mountain in the morning, cancel all the shifts, it's closed." Put up a "Sorry, Folks!" sign in front of the locked barn doors, station a few Security guards discreetly around the facility to keep out neckbeard vloggers and lookyloo CM's, and call it done.

If they do actually announce a final closing date for Splash Mountain, even if it's just two days in advance, they can expect pandemonium and drama and human misery to unfold in Critter Country that last day. And they'll have no one to blame but themselves for that.

They've already said repeatedly the log ride is closing. So just close it randomly one evening without telling a soul except a few TDA execs.
At this point they're going to create drama either way.

Close the ride without warning, and people will get upset and be even more irritated than they already are.

Close the ride with a proper send-off period, and the...uh...super devoted will be out in full force, particularly since as far as they know this is the "last one" and their last shot to demonstrate their...grievances? Excessive loyalty to a flume ride? Ability to shout YIKES! opinions through a megaphone both in person and on social media? Fill in the blank with whatever seems appropriate.

They could have avoided this situation if they had closed both rides at the same time. I fully understand WHY DL wanted to delay the closure, but it also feels a bit like they're fanning the flames here.

Vegas Disney Fan

At this point they're going to create drama either way.

Close the ride without warning, and people will get upset and be even more irritated than they already are.

Close the ride with a proper send-off period, and the...uh...super devoted will be out in full force, particularly since as far as they know this is the "last one" and their last shot to demonstrate their...grievances? Excessive devotion to a flume ride? Ability to shout YIKES! opinions through a megaphone both in person and on social media? Fill in the blank with whatever seems appropriate.

They could have avoided this situation if they had closed both rides at the same time. I fully understand WHY DL wanted to delay the closure, but it also feels a bit like they're fanned the flames here.
I’m amazed they haven’t announced a “last ride” after hours event yet, it would sell out immediately and would also prevent the chaos Florida had with people jockeying to be the last rider. Bring out the characters for photos, offer some exclusive merch, it would make a mint.

Kirby86

I’m amazed they haven’t announced a “last ride” after hours event yet, it would sell out immediately and would also prevent the chaos Florida had with people jockeying to be the last rider. Bring out the characters for photos, offer some exclusive merch, it would make a mint.
After hours I can see them doing for the actual ride. There's no way Brer Merchandise will ever be brought out unless it's pressed pennies.

CaptinEO

I think in this case this is the best way to close the ride.

Disney has been way to lax with guests and it has gotten out of hand. They won't enforce their policies and punish bad guest behavior.

Sadly all the annoying people will want to be last to ride and make it a scene. I love the ride but the "Disney fans" today can be so loud, entitled, and obnoxious, they should just close it one day.

Not entirely the same but when I was working at Six Flags Magic Mountain the park was dead (even though it was Halloween), so I visited as a guest after my shift. I went on Log Jammer late afternoon and there were tons of high up people there at the load platform for the ride conversing (a strange site).

The next day they told us it was closed and would not reopen. Certainly all those managers up there knew in advance and were saying their goodbyes. Maybe they didn't want backlash by announcing a closing date to a popular family attraction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom