Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

celluloid

Disney does not exist in a vacuum. They started this, they drew attention to the proposed change, and now they have to finish what they started.
The public does forget things enough to move on, but I don't think it is applicable here.

Also, the bad thing about this is they invited themselves to a story that has controversy in it too, so it invites people to be very public about it itself being problematic long before it even opens.

CaptinEO

The media isn’t going to let this go away. The #1 entertainment company on Earth made a huge public deal about the Tiana ride. If they just decided suddenly to do a 180, it would end up being a huge embarrassment for Iger, and the whole world would know about it.

Disney does not exist in a vacuum. They started this, they drew attention to the proposed change, and now they have to finish what they started.
I think most people wouldn't care or notice to be honest. They made a big deal about the ride and yet that was almost 3 years ago and it's up and running right now.

Rich T

I think most people wouldn't care or notice to be honest. They made a big deal about the ride and yet that was almost 3 years ago and it's up and running right now.
When I said Disney doesn’t exist in a vacuum, this is what I mean. Most guests don’t currently know or care about the ride’s connections to SotS. But, left alone, it would age worse and worse with each passing year. Disney’s doing this to disarm the potential future PR disaster. Times change.

TP2000

Good point. If it really was that "problematic" as the kids say, it wouldn't still be operating right now.

Rich T

The public does forget things enough to move on, but I don't think it is applicable here.

Also, the bad thing about this is they invited themselves to a story that has controversy in it too, so it invites people to be very public about it itself being problematic long before it even opens.
Whatever happens with Tiana, it is not, I assure you, going to be anywhere near as problematic as Song of the South. No solution is perfect, no answer will please everybody. But Disney has very much decided to completely divorce itself from Song of the South.

Last edited:

celluloid

Whatever happens with Tiana, it is not, I assure you, going to be anywhere near as problematic as Song of the South. No solution is perfect, no answer will please everybody. But Disney has very much decided to completely divorce itself Song of the South.

There are no absolutes with that. Don't say they completely divorce themselves from it as they still profit off it being in TDL and have accepted money from characters on merch including pressed pennies these past few weeks.

They are either, completely divorced, or not.

Last edited:

Rich T

Good point. If it really was that "problematic" as the kids say, it wouldn't still be operating right now.

People will continue to queue up for Tiana Splash, too. But the potentially disastrous cultural embarrassment SotS connections—which would most likely only grow worse with age—will be gone. I believe Disney is mainly doing this for themselves. This is about being rid of SotS forever.

TP2000

People will continue to queue up for Tiana Splash, too. But the potentially disastrous cultural embarrassment SotS connections—which would most likely only grow worse with age—will be gone. I believe Disney is mainly doing this for themselves. This is about being rid of SotS forever.

Except in Tokyo, of course. ;)

Rich T

There are no absolutes with that. Don't say they completely divorce themselves from it as they still profit off it being in TDL and have accepted money from characters on merch including pressed pennies these past few weeks.

They are either, completely divorced, or not.
They’re a PR-Focused corporation behaving like a PR-Focused corporation. That’s reality. Splash is history. That’s reality. Give them your money or don’t. That’s everyone’s choice.

Rich T

Except in Tokyo, of course. ;)

I honestly don’t think the average American knows Tokyo Disneyland exists.

celluloid

I remember just a few weekends ago watching people down the final drop, screaming and cheering going "Look at the cultural embarrassment."

celluloid

I honestly don’t think the average American knows Tokyo Disneyland exists.
Seeing as how Japan is one of the top international tourist destinations and growing, I can assure you that is not true, and will continue to be less true.

And it does not change the fact Disney accepts coin happily from it.

celluloid

They’re a PR-Focused corporation behaving like a PR-Focused corporation. That’s reality. Splash is history. That’s reality. Give them your money or don’t. That’s everyone’s choice.

If I put my out my money for a Brer rabbit pressed coin, that is then accepting my money, and not completely divorced from those characters. They accept.money from TDL licensing.
That is not completely divorced.
That is their choice to not be.

Rich T

So, is it an issue that Song Of The South is not a good franchise to make money off of for moral reasons?

Or is it an issue that Song Of The South is not a good franchise to make money off of if American Social Media knows about it?
Oh, let’s not get into the overseas things corporations profit from. Yikes and no thank you.

Social media is most likely the root of this happening now. But, seriously, again, The Walt Disney Company cannot, in 2023, continue to operate a Song of the South ride any more than any other major entertainment company could now open a Gone With the Wind ride.

With great power and great self-adulation comes great scrutiny.

Rich T

If I put my out my money for a Brer rabbit pressed coin, that is then accepting my money, and not completely divorced from those characters. They accept.money from TDL licensing.
That is not completely divorced.
That is their choice to not be.
Ok, it’s not completely divorced. It’s divorced enough to suit Disney’s purpose.

celluloid

Oh, let’s not get into the overseas things corporations profit from. Yikes and no thank you.

Social media is most likely the root of this happening now. But, seriously, again, The Walt Disney Company cannot, in 2023, continue to operate a Song of the South ride any more than any other major entertainment company could now open a Gone With the Wind ride.

With great power and great self-adulation comes great scrutiny.

Disney was fine with Gone with The Wind in their theme parks, including playing the score. So that is a terrible example.
Runaway Railway did not go in due to Gone with The Wind scenes. It went away because money and synergy.

Don't kid yourself with saying PR topics are THE Reason.

And don't use the term completely divorced. Because the company is not. That was my point that I see you now more accurately stated.

Last edited:

Rich T

Seeing as how Japan is one of the top international tourist destinations and growing, I can assure you that is not true, and will continue to be less true.

And it does not change the fact Disney accepts coin happily from it.
Uh huh. Yes, corporations like Disney often do things that seem hypocritical.

And U.S. Splash is closing.

celluloid

Uh huh. Yes, corporations like Disney often do things that seem hypocritical.

And U.S. Splash is closing.
I never said it was not. I just wanted you to clear up the mistruths.

I don't know if something can seem hypocritical. It either is, or is not in this case. They accept money from SOTS based material where they can.

Rich T

Disney was fine with Gone with The Wind in their theme parks, including playing the score. So that is a terrible example.
Runaway Railway did not go in due to Gone with The Wind scenes. It went away because money and synergy.

Don't kid yourself with saying PR topics are THE Reason.

And don't use the term completely divorced. Because the company is not. That was my.ooint that I see you now more accurately stated.
I will probably never use the term “completely divorced” ever again. 😃

Regarding GWTW, “was fine” is not “is fine.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom