Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mharrington

I read somewhere that Bruno Campos would again be voicing Naveen after all. I thought he had retired from voice acting to focus on being an attorney.

Brer Panther

Something occurred to me.

If they really are turning the lift hill into Mama Odie's house, I think it's pretty safe to say that at least two America Sings animatronics will not be reused for the attraction: specifically, the vultures. They'd be pretty out of place in Mama Odie's house, since the scene likely won't be intended to be scary and we won't be expected to believe we're in any danger.

Maybe they'll replace them with spoonbills.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Like you, I agree that the current structure works perfectly well for the new theme; the elevation of Louisiana is totally irrelevant to a fantasy ride. However, I’m puzzled by your insistence that the structure is a mountain in name only. It is up there (pun intended) with the other Disney mountains in terms of the vertiginous impression it makes. That doesn’t make it a mountain by real-world standards, of course, but by Disney standards, it more than qualifies.
It was foolishly called a "mountain" in the first place. The giant thorns of the briar patch should have made it clear that we're looking at a magnified hill. A hill is in the original story, not a mountain.

Calling it a 'mountain' was purely marketing.

I attest that it is indeed called a mountain. I also can see with my own eyes that the without that naming convention, no sensible person would, on their own, have ever referred to it as a mountain.

If it had originally been called Briar Hill Flume, no one would be arguing about *mountains.*

Thus, the argument, that PatF doesn't belong there because NOLA doesn't have mountains is disingenuous at best.

LittleBuford

I attest that it is indeed called a mountain. I also can see with my own eyes that the without that naming convention, no sensible person would, on their own, have ever referred to it as a mountain.
The same can be said for Space Mountain and even Big Thunder Mountain. That’s why I was careful to say that Splash Mountain qualifies as a mountain by Disney standards.

Thus, the argument, that PatF doesn't belong there because NOLA doesn't have mountains is disingenuous at best.
One can still reject that argument (as I do) without having to downplay the mountainousness of Splash Mountain. I get that it doesn’t “feel” like a mountain to you, but to many of us, it does (again, by Disney standards).

Kirby86

I read somewhere that Bruno Campos would again be voicing Naveen after all. I thought he had retired from voice acting to focus on being an attorney.
I'd chock it up to Disney calling him up and offering him a nice paycheck to return for the ride. He'd get paid for a few days in the sound booth not a bad deal.

Rich T

You’ve said this before, but it felt pretty mountainous to me by Disney standards, regardless of how its name came about.
How? Especially at Disneyland, where from the walkway, the briar patch and dead tree are most of the facade.

And, seriously, ever since the ride’s opening month when I got evacuated down the back stairs and saw the “truth” (Spoiler for newbies: Splash Mtn. doesn’t have a backside), it’s always seemed to be just a very beautiful stage set.

Matterhorn, Big Thunder and Grizzly, with their 360 degree completeness that you can view from all angles, deserve the “Theme Park Mountain” title.

Space Mountain is not a mountain in anything except name; especially at DL, where its visible exterior looks like a hat Tomorrowland’s wearing. The name is simply a strange and now communally accepted label for the fun experience of rollercoasting through a dark warehouse full of star effects.

LittleBuford

How? Especially at Disneyland, where from the walkway, the briar patch and dead tree are most of the facade.

And, seriously, ever since the ride’s opening month when I got evacuated down the back stairs and saw the “truth” (Spoiler for newbies: Splash Mtn. doesn’t have a backside), it’s always seemed to be just a very beautiful stage set.

Matterhorn, Big Thunder and Grizzly, with their 360 degree completeness that you can view from all angles, deserve the “Theme Park Mountain” title.

Space Mountain is not a mountain in anything except name; especially at DL, where its visible exterior looks like a hat Tomorrowland’s wearing. The name is simply a strange and now communally accepted label for the fun experience of rollercoasting through a dark warehouse full of star effects.
I’m talking about Magic Kingdom version, which is the one I know best. I accept that it doesn’t feel mountainous to you and @MisterPenguin; I suppose it’s a matter of personal perception. To me, however, it qualifies comfortably as a Disney mountain. That doesn’t mean I have any issue whatsoever with the retheme (apart from the plot details they’ve shared with us so far).

Rich T

I’m talking about Magic Kingdom version, which is the one I know best. I accept that it doesn’t feel mountainous to you and @MisterPenguin; I suppose it’s a matter of personal perception. To me, however, it qualifies comfortably as a Disney mountain. That doesn’t mean I have any issue whatsoever with the retheme (apart from the plot details they’ve shared with us so far).
The Magic Kingdom version, by far, looks more convincingly mountainous.

Rich T

Something occurred to me.

If they really are turning the lift hill into Mama Odie's house, I think it's pretty safe to say that at least two America Sings animatronics will not be reused for the attraction: specifically, the vultures. They'd be pretty out of place in Mama Odie's house, since the scene likely won't be intended to be scary and we won't be expected to believe we're in any danger.

Maybe they'll replace them with spoonbills.
They could be relocated. Right before the drop in the dark, for instance. I do hope they’re kept. If they’re still in good shape, it would be one of the easiest ways to create a fun callback to the original ride, and with no ties to SotS.

Rich T

Talking about the vultures has me thinking: What non-SotS characters most strongly mean “Splash Mtn.” to you? For me, it’s:
The Vultures
The Geese
The Fishing Alligator

Homemade Imagineering

Talking about the vultures has me thinking: What non-SotS characters most strongly mean “Splash Mtn.” to you? For me, it’s:
The Vultures
The Geese
The Fishing Alligator
Most notably the Swamp Boys if I had to choose a set of figures. Not only do they stand out in the attraction finale, but are also canonically known as the Swamp Boys in both Splash Mountain and America Sings
AF824DC1-FC99-472E-81D7-24926826D78A.jpeg

Parteecia

The name is simply a strange and now communally accepted label for the fun experience of rollercoasting
Applies to all Disney "mountains."

I'm not arguing if it's acceptable to have something labeled a mountain in an area purporting to be representative of a particular geology in a fantastical theme park. I was just wondering if it would still be considered a mountain by Disney.

Rich T

Applies to all Disney "mountains."

I'm not arguing if it's acceptable to have something labeled a mountain in an area purporting to be representative of a particular geology in a fantastical theme park. I was just wondering if it would still be considered a mountain by Disney.
From the clumsy name they’ve given the upcoming attraction to erase as much connection to Splash Mtn. as possible, I’m gonna say: Officially and publicly, no way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom