Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I said that, only to pose a question. If the Splash structure couldn’t support the weight of the concept art with the boat in the (much larger) tree, why couldn’t they repurpose the current small Splash tree, add a boat to it that matches the scale, some moss, hanging bottles, etc? I just thought having something on top of the mountain looks better than nothing at all. I only suggested it because, you know, this is a retheme and most of the structure of the ride is remaining the same, with new set dressing, etc.

I love the concept of this retheme, but I understand why the model reveal is getting mixed reactions. Its interesting that so many fans online imagined that the Dr. Facilier song would replace the vultures on the lift hill of the climax. That feels like an honest acceptance to the idea of updating the ride, while keeping the basic elements that made Splash enjoyable for some people (ex: fun songs at the beginning of the ride, scary song at the climax, fun song at the end).
Changing the basic formula too much is like learning your favorite diner is adding avocado and spinach to their classic breakfast scramble, and will have a new name on the menu. Not a big deal, and it actually sounds like it will be tastier than the original! Then you order it and discover half way thru making it, the diner decided scrambled eggs were no longer a good fit for the dish, so the chef removed them from the recipe, and replaced them with cottage cheese, making it it’s own new thing. Now if I’m ever hungry for a filling breakfast and craving scrambled eggs, I might have to pick another item from the menu, or find a new diner.
Gotcha.

I think it’s very strange that people were expecting to hear “Friends on the Other Side” in the ride when it was stated many times that the ride takes place after the movie and that they were writing an original plot for the ride. Either fans are delusional, the delusion stemming for their refusal to let Splash go, or they’re not paying attention. Either way, there’s a disconnect.

I think fans should stop looking for Splash Mountain now and even more so when the ride opens. This is obviously very hard for some folks, and it doesn’t help that it’s going in the same show building as Splash. Regardless, Splash will soon be going to Yesterland, joining a slew of other attractions that are no longer at Disneyland. I don’t think any sort of formula related to the ride should be followed because It is leaving. Tiana’s is a new ride that unfortunately is taking Splash’s place, but is still taking its place, regardless. This is supposed to be something new. We now know that new music has been written for the ride, which is really good to hear. It doesn’t have to follow some sort of rule or formula where the first song has to be fun, the second one scary, third one fun, etc. Folks will never be even the least bit happy if they keep searching for Splash Mountain when Splash Mountain will no longer be there. I just don’t see the point in that.

Some will never accept Tiana’s, and that’s fine. At the point, it’ll be time to find another diner, which is also fine.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
My point is that, without the patch of thorns or something in its place, it doesn’t really make sense when you look at the front of the ride. There’s logs just disappearing into a waterway that goes below the bayou? Previously it was supposed to look like the drop actually lead to the bayou but the logs got caught in the thorns, hence why they disappear.

I get why they don’t want to keep the thorns and why it wouldn’t even make great sense to keep them (heck Florida’s are kinda ugly) but I think it’s an example of how they naturally lose some quality when they have to come up with a new story for a purpose-built ride.
I’m going to wait and see what they have to say about the ride first before commenting any further, as it’s possible that we will be diving into something. Right now, we’re basing everything off of a model and second-hand information from Twitter. I want to know what the folks actually working on this have to say during the panel.

However, I will say that I don’t necessarily agree that guests have to fall into something. Do we even know what leads up to the drop yet? I don’t think that much info has been released yet. So, I’m not going to make guesses. I’m going to wait for more information to come out.

Dr.Cheeto

Gotcha.

I think it’s very strange that people were expecting to hear “Friends on the Other Side” in the ride when it was stated many times that the ride takes place after the movie and that they were writing an original plot for the ride. Either fans are delusional, the delusion stemming for their refusal to let Splash go, or they’re not paying attention. Either way, there’s a disconnect.

I think fans should stop looking for Splash Mountain now and even more so when the ride opens. This is obviously very hard for some folks, and it doesn’t help that it’s going in the same show building as Splash. Regardless, Splash will soon be going to Yesterland, joining a slew of other attractions that are no longer at Disneyland. I don’t think any sort of formula related to the ride should be followed because It is leaving. Tiana’s is a new ride that unfortunately is taking Splash’s place, but is still taking its place, regardless. This is supposed to be something new. We now know that new music has been written for the ride, which is really good to hear. It doesn’t have to follow some sort of rule or formula where the first song has to be fun, the second one scary, third one fun, etc. Folks will never be even the least bit happy if they keep searching for Splash Mountain when Splash Mountain will no longer be there. I just don’t see the point in that.

Some will never accept Tiana’s, and that’s fine. At the point, it’ll be time to find another diner, which is also fine.
You’re totally right, in the end it will be a completely different experience. I am still excited to see the finished attraction, but I’m also allowing myself to react to the new information in real time, and wonder out loud why certain decisions are being made over others...etc. Seeing the original concept rendering of Mama Odie’s tree replacing Splash’s tree gave the initial impression that the overall experience might be similar to the original ride, with new themed elements (like a more extreme version of POTC with Jack Sparrow). I originally assumed that they would also repurpose the Zip a Dee Lady to a riverboat with Tiana and Louis for the finale, but now I’m not so sure! Like you said, maybe there won’t be much remaining from the original ride at all and this will be a 100% redo. Hopefully they will reveal more information tomorrow.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Disney fans: We hate book reports, they're boring and unimaginative, I can just watch the movie at home!!!!!
Also Disney fans: How dare Tiana's Bayou Adventure not include Friends on the Other Side and other iconic moments from the movie, THE AUDACITY!!!
No, SERIOUSLY. Like, which one is it?? And then to expect to hear that song WHEN THEY CLEARLY STATED that the plot of the ride is post-movie… What is going on?

This ride is IP, but they’re introducing a new plot with new songs, something we haven’t seen from an IP-based ride in a long time, if not ever. When was the last time Imagineers traveled somewhere to study the place for an attraction? Everest at AK? That ride is nearly 20-years-old, is it not? They’re putting in some effort that we don’t see all the time, yet that’s not enough either. “Eewwww, salt mines?!” “There are no mountains in Louisiana!” “I don’t like the artwork!” “Tiana owns her own restaurant? CAPITALISM!” “This isn’t Disneyland!”

Meanwhile, the ride ain’t even opened.🤔 It’s never enough. If I was an imagineer, I wouldn’t care what fans thought either because people are unreasonable sometimes. If I was working on this project, especially as someone who was part of the traveling/study group, and I constantly read these comments, especially the “no effort,” “lazy,” and “rushed” comments, I’d have no choice but to ignore fans because if I didn’t, I’d probably lose my mind and would naturally put a wall up between myself and fans.

People have rights to their feelings. BUT GAH DAYUM, let the ride AT LEAST OPEN FIRST before words like “disastrous” and “atrocity” start getting thrown out. Give them some time to explain what’s going to happen in the ride, too. We still don’t have much to go from, but it’s hope that changes in a few hours when the panel starts. But, still, it’s never enough, is it? Misery loves company, and there’s plenty of it here.

britain

No, SERIOUSLY. Like, which one is it?? And then to expect to hear that song WHEN THEY CLEARLY STATED that the plot of the ride is post-movie… What is going on?

This ride is IP, but they’re introducing a new plot with new songs, something we haven’t seen from an IP-based ride in a long time, if not ever. When was the last time Imagineers traveled somewhere to study the place for an attraction? Everest at AK? That ride is nearly 20-years-old, is it not? They’re putting in some effort that we don’t see all the time, yet that’s not enough either. “Eewwww, salt mines?!” “There are no mountains in Louisiana!” “I don’t like the artwork!” “Tiana owns her own restaurant? CAPITALISM!” “This isn’t Disneyland!”

Meanwhile, the ride ain’t even opened.🤔 It’s never enough. If I was an imagineer, I wouldn’t care what fans thought either because people are unreasonable sometimes. If I was working on this project, especially as someone who was part of the traveling/study group, and I constantly read these comments, especially the “no effort,” “lazy,” and “rushed” comments, I’d have no choice but to ignore fans because if I didn’t, I’d probably lose my mind and would naturally put a wall up between myself and fans.

People have rights to their feelings. BUT GAH DAYUM, let the ride AT LEAST OPEN FIRST before words like “disastrous” and “atrocity” start getting thrown out. Give them some time to explain what’s going to happen in the ride, too. We still don’t have much to go from, but it’s hope that changes in a few hours when the panel starts. But, still, it’s never enough, is it? Misery loves company, and there’s plenty of it here.

There’s a way to have cake and eat it too.

Temple of the Forbidden Eye isn’t from any Indy movie but it has all the things we’d expect from one.

And personally I like the book report attractions. They tend to be inoculated against “Recruit” mentality.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
There’s a way to have cake and eat it too.

Temple of the Forbidden Eye isn’t from any Indy movie but it has all the things we’d expect from one.
Indy has also been open since 1995.

Construction for Tiana’s hasn’t even started. The ride isn’t open. So, personally, I’m going to wait for it to open before I come to a conclusion regarding how I feel about the ride. I’m also going to wait until I hear more about it in a few hours.

Based on what I’ve heard so far, my expectations regarding a Tiana ride are being met. Cooking, feeding people, and owning her own restaurant are her passions and something she talks and sings about literally from the start of the film until the very end before the credits roll. So, that the ride will be centered around these topics isn’t out of the ordinary to me and something I would expect.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I think over time people (including myself, admittedly) started clinging to the hope (/unreasonable expectation) that Dr. Facilier would show up in the ride out of a desire for a scary segment with some stakes. There are of course countless other ways the imagineers could inject drama into this attraction, but somehow over time “No Dr. Facilier” has come to equal “No Stakes,” which sounds alarms that this could be another Ariel’s Undersea Adventure. But that’s not necessarily the case.

As has been said, we really are just speculating at this point and should refrain from making harsh judgments until we lean more (of course, it’s also fine to speculate and react to what they do show us and talk it out).

celluloid

Don't forget this entire thing is a push too because of the synergy of Tiana marketing push throughout the company. The Disney Plus series probably ties into the things you are going to see with the attraction as much as the film.

PiratesMansion

Don't forget this entire thing is a push too because of the synergy of Tiana marketing push throughout the company. The Disney Plus series probably ties into the things you are going to see with the attraction as much as the film.
Everything Disney does now is synergy, so why is this project uniquely being singled out and flogged for being such?

MoonRakerSCM

Welp, I was right. Salt Mine confirmed. Yet somehow they made it even MORE contrived and pointless?

Lemme get this straight... so... Tiana is now a powerful business magnate... who bought a salt mine... and then converted the upper levels of it to a food co-up... and members grow organic produce on the upper levels?

The main park presentations are today right? Will they announce a new salt product that will be offered for purchase in the stores? Tiana's Salt?

We're supposed to be helping her find a spice that's missing from her food? Will it be salt?

What does this have to do with praising New Orleans culture?

Maybe this is Disney 'getting back' at the fans and mining their 'salt' over this idiotic redo?

celluloid

Everything Disney does now is synergy, so why is this project uniquely being singled out and flogged for being such?

Because like anything, Synergy can be done well or Synergy can be done poorly. Many see this as a sign that does poorly. The quote you quoted me for was in response to why the Salt Mine and co-op storyline of the ride and theme chosen instead of something more akin to the conflict of the film, and that is it will likely have more to do with the show. My point was not to state that it is bad but what the reason for the choice made was.

You can put down the pitchfork.

MoonRakerSCM

Thought about the water tower- Being it is located right at a straight section of the flume for a tiny bit of time... perhaps it would be big enough to act as a scene? Water tower from the front, but from the flume, it's a wooden produce stand with a Tiana figure in it selling salted organic kale to passer bys?

TrainsOfDisney

The Frozen ride takes place after the movie and yet we still hear the songs from the movie.

To have an E-ticket based on a movie and leave out a major character from said movie seems odd.

“Why would you expect to see Ursula in a little mermaid ride? - what’s wrong with you!?”

mickEblu

Its really not that deep. We think the ride should be well rounded and have some sense of drama/ suspense/ danger. We don’t want Mermaid - the log ride. Or BatB from Tokyo. And this movie just happens to have a song that would have worked perfectly with the lift hill. If you look at comments on every single site many people want the song and Faciliers presence on the ride. Instead we keep hearing words like “celebration” to go along with the new story that somehow sounds worse the rumored Louis trumpet storyline. We’ve also learned that Mama Odie is a the top of the lift hill.

Does all of this guarantee no Dr. Facilier or suspense on the ride? No, but it’s not looking good. I think it’s reasonable for fans to want this stuff (especially on a ride with arguably the most thrilling moment in the park). Not sure what the racism has to do with any of this or if it was directed at the people wanting these things?

mickEblu

I didn’t expect to see a living Facilier, but I thought it not unlikely that his spirit form would put in an appearance, along with his catchy song.

Right he didn't necessarily even have to be alive. They can make it work. If they can do a salt mine, celebration, employee owned Food Cooperative from 1929, the guy from the other side can come back lol

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom