Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Mickey's Pal

needs a key ingredient, and we have to go find it.
You know what is so great about rides like the original Splash Mountain? We don't participate in the story but watch it unfold. I don't want to be the story. Why do we need to participate and find a key ingredient? 'Ok recruits! I need you to find this special beet for my gumbo!' Ughhh. I am tired of being a recruit, cadate etc on rides. Learn to tell a proper story like you used to Disney.

Rich T

To me, it is an insult to hard work that originally went into creating the original ride. It's something I expect to see outside of a Six Flags ride, not Disney. It is cringey and tacky and actually lacks imagination. A 5 year would come up with a better idea than that. It came from someone with no imagination but from someone trying to sell a product...
That’s pretty much how I feel about nearly everything Disney does these days. That’s why I don’t go to their parks or buy their merch anymore. Vote with your wallet; it’s the only language they care about.

But specifically regarding the Tiana concept art: I actually like the water tower. If you want to talk about Imagineering abominations, look no further than current Tomorrowland, Mission Breakout’s exterior, Snow White’s dumbification or the entirety of Pixar Pier. It’s not like this is the worst thing Imagineering’s ever done.

britain

I am not liking this notion spreading online that budget cuts removed the ship+tree idea from the facade. The original art was a hastily conceived idea. The 40 foot drop currently has the dead tree ending 20 feet above it. The idea to make it a full and living tree would have required at least 20-30 feet above that. DO THE MATH. It would have cartoonishly towered over Big Thunder (in FL) and would have easily been seen from Galaxy’s Edge (in DL).

This is a win for artistically competent composition, not another budget cut horror story. Sorry to bring sunshine to your parade. 😊

Last edited:

mickEblu

Removing the briar patch seems like a pretty terrible idea. Now the ride just causally happens to go under a body of water? Another casualty of retheming an existing structure.

I liked how as the rider you already felt immersed even during the outdoor portion near the briar patch. This will kill that. Why not just leave the briar patch or replace it with something else?

Kirby86

I liked how as the rider you already felt immersed even during the outdoor portion near the briar patch. This will kill that. Why not just leave the briar patch or replace it with something else?
Removing the Briar patch is a choice. An odd one considering the alligator in the movie ran into thorn bushes. But maybe Tiana thanks to her food Co-Op money invested in removing thorn bushes.

GiveMeTheMusic

The briar patch is part of Splash Mountain's story. Brer Rabbit is thrown into the briar patch because Brer Fox thinks it'll kill him, not knowing Brer Rabbit was raised in a briar patch and will be perfectly fine.

It is unlikely from a story standpoint that Mama Odie will be sending Tiana/Tiana's friends plummeting into a briar patch.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Removing the briar patch seems like a pretty terrible idea. Now the ride just causally happens to go under a body of water? Another casualty of retheming an existing structure.
I thought this too until I saw the animatic of the area, especially at night. If they can pull it off it will be a nice area to float by at the beginning of the ride.

Right now the view from the ride logs is a bunch of boulders and fallen trees.

1662841664265.png

From the outside path:

1662841707405.png

It looks like from the model that they will be raising up the rockwork between the path and ride which is a shame as it could have been a Blue Bayou experience of seeing the ride logs go by:

1662841879605.png

But yeah, it will be less like falling into a briar patch and more like dropping into a hole in the ground.

mickEblu

The briar patch is part of Splash Mountain's story. Brer Rabbit is thrown into the briar patch because Brer Fox thinks it'll kill him, not knowing Brer Rabbit was raised in a briar patch and will be perfectly fine.

It is unlikely from a story standpoint that Mama Odie will be sending Tiana/Tiana's friends plummeting into a briar patch.

I’d argue that most people don’t know what the briar patch is. Plus why not just put some foiliage or something over it? Why do they prioritize their poorly written stories over aesthetics and fun?

GiveMeTheMusic

I’d argue that most people don’t know what the briar patch is. Plus why not just put some foiliage or something over it? Why do they prioritize their poorly written stories over aesthetics and fun?

I personally don't mind the briar patch being gone. There is new foliage there to replace it, it's not a bare log hole.

The water tower I do not like.

mickEblu

I thought this too until I saw the animatic of the area, especially at night. If they can pull it off it will be a nice area to float by at the beginning of the ride.

View attachment 665791

From the outside path:

View attachment 665792

It looks like from the model that they will be raising up the rockwork between the path and ride which is a shame as it could have been a Blue Bayou experience of seeing the ride logs go by:

View attachment 665793

But yeah, it will be less like falling into a briar patch and more like dropping into a hole in the ground.

Ok I feel better about it now. I’m not sure why I thought that it was mostly the briar patch concealing the view of the flume there.

Mickey's Pal

View attachment 665791

From the outside path:

View attachment 665792

View attachment 665793

God I hate this retheme.

mickEblu

I personally don't mind the briar patch being gone. There is new foliage there to replace it, it's not a bare log hole.

The water tower I do not like.

I don’t have any affinity for the briar patch per say I just like how it conceals the flume there but I guess I didn’t realize that it’s not really the briar patch that’s concealing the flume and making you feel nooked into you surroundings as Chads post just pointed out.

Yeah the water tower is easily the worst thing about the exterior so far.

The one positive is I’m always a fan of more green.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
As shown in my sig I'll be taking a trip to the parks the second week of October with my parents. I wasn't expecting to ride Splash again after my trip in June, and since I probably won't plan to go back again until sometime mid to late next year (probably after the new TT opens) I think this will definitely be my last ride 😢.

That is unless tomorrow they announce it's closing at the end of this month. Then I'll just be plain sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom