Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

el_super

I don't recall Disney ever claiming to have created the Brers, and by that logic, Alice in Wonderland should close because Disney is exploiting Lewis Carroll's story for financial gain.

There is a big difference between the creators of Alice in Wonderland and the creators of the Brer stories. I will let you figure that one our on your own.

And I've never seen "they're exploiting the stories for financial gain" used as a justification for the attraction being racist before. Until now, it's just been "Song of the South and Splash Mountain are one in the same".

There's a lot of reasons that people don't like Song of the South. That they are exploiting black culture is admittedly one of the newer ones, but not any less valid.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Really? Were people talking about Song of the South that much before the "retheme Splash Mountain" demand started up? I didn't see anyone talking about it online before then. Even if Chambers' idea didn't start it back up, it definitely started up around that time.
Yes, really. False.

I understand you didn’t see anything online, but the controversy surrounding SotS has never went away. It’s not like it wasn’t okay in the 40s, then it suddenly wasn’t considered racist after that time, and now in the 2020s it’s once again a problem.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
This thread is basically just “if you don’t think Splash is a problem, you’re wrong”.
No...we're saying that it's pointless to fight it anymore. It's been a year. Disneyland is removing Splash music from the parks. The Br'ers have been retired from the parks. They've supposedly begun Show Tests. It's happening

Brer Panther

There is a big difference between the creators of Alice in Wonderland and the creators of the Brer stories. I will let you figure that one our on your own.
Because the creators of Alice in Wonderland are white. That's the reason, isn't it?
There's a lot of reasons that people don't like Song of the South. That they are exploiting black culture is admittedly one of the newer ones, but not any less valid.
I really doubt that when Song of the South was made, it was because they wanted to exploit black culture. I think they just liked the stories and wanted to do an adaptation of them. Doesn't mean the movie isn't racist, but still...
Yes, really. False.

I understand you didn’t see anything online, but the controversy surrounding SotS has never went away. It’s not like it wasn’t okay in the 40s, then it suddenly wasn’t considered racist after that time, and now in the 2020s it’s once again a problem.
That wasn't what I meant. I just didn't see anyone talking about it as much as they were in 2020 before then. I know nobody automatically stopped considering the film racist before 2020, but very few people were equating the ride and the movie before then.

The Aracuan Bird

The bit about the controversy reappearing after that CM wrote that post is false.

The ride and the movie aren’t separate things to the public. Peter Pan, Fantasia, Dumbo, etc. don’t compare. Not only have they not been hidden from the public, but they haven’t been labeled racist films in general, at least not on a grand scale. They commonly are called out for racist scenes, but SotS is commonly known as a racist movie.
I think it would be more comparable to Dumbo than the other two. It has a whole song and dance with slaves pitching tents, which oddly nobody ever seems to point out. It’s always the crows (which are their own issue).

The Aracuan Bird

The "Roustabouts" aren't slaves, the movie takes place in 1941.
That’s a great point. That being said, here are some of the lyrics:

“We work all day, we work all night
We never learned to read or write
We're happy-hearted roustabouts

Hike! Ugh! Hike! Ugh! Hike! Ugh! Hike!

When other folks have gone to bed
We slave until we're almost dead

We don't know when we get our pay
And when we do, we throw our pay away
(When we get our pay, we throw our money all away)
We get our pay when children say
With happy hearts, "It's circus day today"
(Then we get our pay, just watching kids on circus day)”

EagleScout610

Premium Member
I think it would be more comparable to Dumbo than the other two. It has a whole song and dance with slaves pitching tents, which oddly nobody ever seems to point out. It’s always the crows (which are their own issue).
Again, it boils down to Disney's reaction. Did they keep Dumbo locked in the cellar? Nope. Remade it and put it on D+, albeit with a warning.

Sharon&Susan

That’s a great point. That being said, here are some of the lyrics:

“We work all day, we work all night
We never learned to read or write

When other folks have gone to bed
We slave until we're almost dead

We don't know when we get our pay
And when we do, we throw our pay away
(When we get our pay, we throw our money all away)
We get our pay when children say
With happy hearts, "It's circus day today"
(Then we get our pay, just watching kids on circus day)”
Yeah, it's pretty bad, just not on the same modern taboo level as ex-slaves happily singing and telling nice little stories on a plantation for the entire movie.

The Aracuan Bird

Again, it boils down to Disney's reaction. Did they keep Dumbo locked in the cellar? Nope. Remade it and put it on D+, albeit with a warning.
Yeah. I don’t think it should be locked in a cellar. There are good parts in Dumbo, and there are bad parts. It’s important we acknowledge the bad. But we also need to understand why. I hope they tackle that someday.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Yeah. I don’t think it should be locked in a cellar. There are good parts in Dumbo, and there are bad parts. It’s important we acknowledge the bad. But we also need to understand why. I hope they tackle that someday.
Same can be argued for Song Of the South. The animation is beautiful, the music is really good, and the live action/animated shots rival some modern live/animated shots

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom