News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

Rich T

I never been compelled to even watch it. It’s the only Disney/Pixar film I haven’t (besides the ones that released last year).
If you just see the first half hour, you’ll have seen the best part. Everything before, “…and then, let’s see, what would the audience like to happen to Marida next… uh… gimme a moment… er… oh! Her mom turns into a bear! Because!”

BrianLo

Oh yeah, for sure. The list just grows longer lol. I haven’t seen many of the really early ones either.

I haven’t seen Treasure Island or 20,000 leagues either. Maybe this will be a project starting this year: watch Disney movies I haven’t seen.

Oh god, we're counting live action too? Have fun, there's way more garbage there then you think.

Also inadvertently left off SoTS, but the animated segments I watched on their singalong VHS releases.

Vegas Disney Fan

They should also just create more black characters in general instead of relying on the same 3.

Unfortunately Disney has decided it’s easier to just stick with the handful of established black characters they already have and then just race swap others to increase diversity rather than actually developing new black characters.

Given how popular Encanto, Coco, etc have been it’s weird they continue to ignore the popularity of creating new characters in favor of simply replacing old ones, there’s a huge market for new stories but it’s easier to just rehash old stories In new ways.

Californian Elitist

Oh god, we're counting live action too? Have fun, there's way more garbage there then you think.

Also inadvertently left off SoTS, but the animated segments I watched on their singalong VHS releases.
That project is definitely cancelled. I haven’t heard of more than half these movies. I stopped scrolling at The Littlest Outlaw.

I’m good.

BrianLo

They should also just create more black characters in general instead of relying on the same 3.
Unfortunately Disney has decided it’s easier to just stick with the handful of established black characters they already have and then just race swap others to increase diversity rather than actually developing new black characters.

Given how popular Encanto, Coco, etc have been it’s weird they continue to ignore the popularity of creating new characters in favor of simply replacing old ones, there’s a huge market for new stories but it’s easier to just rehash old stories In new ways.

Their next Princess is black, in Wish. You got your wish!

Rich T

Oh yeah, for sure. The list just grows longer lol. I haven’t seen many of the really early ones either.

I haven’t seen Treasure Island or 20,000 leagues either. Maybe this will be a project starting this year: watch Disney movies I haven’t seen.
Both worth seeing. And if you haven’t seen them, Darby O’Gill (most overlooked gem in Disney’s history) and Blackbeard’s Ghost (the best of Disney’s 1960’s goofball comedies).

Rich T

When did PATF become popular? It's better than anything released recently. Can you explain how it is popular now instead of 15 years ago? The movie was purposely made to replace Splash Mountain. Why do people care about it now outside of politics?
The moment PatF hit home video, it started finding an audience. And kids who grew up watching it on VHS and DVD starting making internet making memes about it when they grew older (I watched this happen in my family and noticed it cropping up on animation fan sites).

PatF isn’t perfect, but it’s a really, really FUN movie with good songs, likable characters, a solid villain and a unique, refreshing setting. It was bound to find its audience.

smooch

When did PATF become popular? It's better than anything released recently. Can you explain how it is popular now instead of 15 years ago? The movie was purposely made to replace Splash Mountain. Why do people care about it now outside of politics?
To be honest I don't know how to describe how it's more popular now rather than 15 years ago, I know when the movie released I didn't hear too many bad things about it from the people who did see it, but I remember not many people seeing it on release. Most people that I know or have heard from saw the movie at some point after its release, some even years / a decade after release, so they weren't fans until after release because they hadn't seen it til then. There 100% are people who like her character / IP because she's black and they appreciate the representation, and that's not a bad thing. I feel like her rise in popularity in the past few years definitely coincides with the increased demand I see for stories about other cultures, such as Encanto, Coco, etc. I can't necessarily speak on why she's gotten popular, especially having not seen the movie, I just do know for a fact she has gotten much more popular over the years and especially in the last handful of years. As I said before, I don't think it's exclusively because of politics or her skin color and I do genuinely believe there's a large number of people (including myself) who don't watch Disney / Pixar / etc. movies on release and instead see them months or years after release, so those people couldn't have been fans until recently.

Rich T

Yes, I would actually watch those. The Littlest Outlaw, though…😬 Curious, have you seen or even heard of that movie?
I had to Wikipedia that one. If it ever aired on Wonderful World of Color, I probably saw it as a kid, but I don’t remember a thing about it. A 1955 Disney film set in Mexico… what could possibly go wrong? I see it did have an experienced Mexican director, though…

smooch

it didn't tske long for all the typical Disneyland gate keepers here to come out of the wood works and berate me for not instantly loving everything Disney does. 'How dare you not think like us!'
Not sure if you're aware but most of us here actually hate most things modern Disney does and we criticize them endlessly. We didn't earn the nickname "Hive of Miserable B*st*rds" for nothing!

smooch

The only one on that list that I actually want to watch is Onward. Not saying I won’t watch the others (some of the others), but I’m not necessarily interested. I’ll try and watch Onward this weekend or next weekend.
Onward is one of the few recent-ish movies I've seen from Disney / Pixar and I loved it, I would definitely recommend watching it whenever you find the time. Really great story and I thought the world they created was very cute and full of charm.

Brer Oswald

My dark spots are Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time, Make Mine Music (I think at least for these three but I guarantee I've seen clips or some of the shorts), Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons, Fantasia 2000, Winnie the Pooh 2011 and Strange World. 😂

I really should just go and watch some of them at some point, but it's almost a point of pride I just inadvertently skipped a lot of stinkers.
Fun and Fancy Free was a childhood favourite. I used to just alternate between that and the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh VHS tape.

Phroobar

That's being a little reductive. She is popular because of the Disney Princess lineup, yes. Her racial diversity certainly help her standout amongst the lineup in a positive way, but that's not THE reason she's popular. She's popular because Disney put her in their all important toy marketing machine and Disney is good at giving life to the characters they like far beyond the theatrical run.

It means kids who weren't alive and in the target demo to contribute to the box office still knows who she is today and will still know who she is 10 years from now. Some of them will even buy their kids stuff with her face plastered on it.

It's one of the companies greatest strengths. Keeping their IP relevant and evergreen. And yes that includes their gradual distancing from things they find inevitably problematic.
They are just marketing her better than they did originally. Whether she is actually selling more toys is a different matter.

Phroobar

Onward is one of the few recent-ish movies I've seen from Disney / Pixar and I loved it, I would definitely recommend watching it whenever you find the time. Really great story and I thought the world they created was very cute and full of charm.
Onward and Soul are two of my favorite recent Disney/Pixar movies. Everything else I've kind of mediocre. Moana and Coco was decent however.

Californian Elitist

Not sure if you're aware but most of us here actually hate most things modern Disney does and we criticize them endlessly. We didn't earn the nickname "Hive of Miserable B*st*rds" for nothing!
Facts! We really are, collectively, the most miserable, 💩-talking group of Disneyland fans I’ve ever come across on the internet. Not sure how WDWMagic attracted such a fine group of fans, but it happened, somehow.

CaptinEO

Oh, I'm the same way. I was super excited for Ralph Breaks the Internet, but it put me to sleep in the first 20 minutes or so.
I was so excited for this one too. The first one is a nice movie and a great ode to fans of videogames.

The sequel really dropped the ball and its only notable segments are those that just advertise and insult the Disney corporation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom