News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

mickEblu

I watched a Justin Scarred vlog a few days ago and it gave me some hope that perhaps Magnolia Park won’t be significantly altered. The French Market doesn’t appear to be as hidden as I thought it was. Of course it doesn’t mean a tree or two might not be sacrificed for visibility and it doesn’t really matter if they are keen on on expanding the restaurants footprint. I hope they tread lightly. It’s still just a quick service cafeteria with Tianas name on it. Not worth significantly altering any of the surrounding area.

SuddenStorm

I watched a Justin Scarred vlog a few days ago and it gave me some hope that perhaps Magnolia Park won’t be significantly altered. The French Market doesn’t appear to be as hidden as I thought it was. Of course it doesn’t mean a tree or two might not be sacrificed for visibility and it doesn’t really matter if they are keen on on expanding the restaurants footprint. I hope they tread lightly. It’s still just a quick service cafeteria with Tianas name on it. Not worth significantly altering any of the surrounding area.

I haven't eaten at the French Market since 2019- Plaza inn is my go to- so I'm not up in arms about this.

But the decision still baffles me.

I haven't seen the film (I watched 30 minutes and was bored so I turned it off, about seven years ago.)- but it's my understanding that Tiana is supposed to be a culinary master who, as part of her arc in the film, obtains the funds or something to open her own fine restaurant?

So why on earth is Disney making a restaurant with the Tiana name on it quick service? It should be an upscale sit down restaurant. But then they'd probably swap Cafe Orleans over instead of French Market, and of the two Cafe Orleans is the more historic location.

So why not convert French Market to a table service restaurant? And switch Riverbelle Terrace back to cafeteria style.

_caleb

I haven't eaten at the French Market since 2019- Plaza inn is my go to- so I'm not up in arms about this.

I haven't seen the film (I watched 30 minutes and was bored so I turned it off, about seven years ago.)- but it's my understanding that Tiana is supposed to be a culinary master who, as part of her arc in the film, obtains the funds or something to open her own fine restaurant?

So why on earth is Disney making a restaurant with the Tiana name on it quick service? It should be an upscale sit down restaurant. But then they'd probably swap Cafe Orleans over instead of French Market, and of the two Cafe Orleans is the more historic location.

So why not convert French Market to a table service restaurant? And switch Riverbelle Terrace back to cafeteria style.
I suspect some of this might be addressed in the new Tiana series on Disney+.

“Episode 3: Tiana introduces new innovations to her upscale fine-dining restaurant, Tiana’s Palace, by adding buffeteria service, prepackaged beignets, and alcohol-free mint juleps made with Sprite™.”

mickEblu

Agree with the sentiment. Just not sure French Market is set up to be a table service restaurant. I mean, I guess they could bring the food out to those tables outside? But I don’t think that’s what you or anyone has in mind when they say upscale sit down restaurant. To be honest, I’m glad they didn’t choose French Market for an elaborate table service restaurant as that would have for sure had a major impact on the surrounding area.

Californian Elitist

Agree with the sentiment. Just not sure French Market is set up to be a table service restaurant. I mean, I guess they could bring the food out to those tables outside? But I don’t think that’s what you or anyone has in mind when they say upscale sit down restaurant. To be honest, I’m glad they didn’t choose French Market for an elaborate table service restaurant as that would have for sure had a major impact on the surrounding area.
Exactly. Where in NOS is there space for a big, fancy sit-down restaurant like the depiction of Tiana’s Palace in the film? Great points about crowds impacting the area and getting waited outside not being an adequate experience of how Tiana’s Palace is presented in the film.

I’m pleased with this being counter service. The food will be cheaper, we won’t need reservations, and access will be easier in general.

mickEblu

Exactly. Where in NOS is there space for a big, fancy sit-down restaurant like the depiction of Tiana’s Palace in the film? Great points about crowds impacting the area and getting waited outside not being an adequate experience of how Tiana’s Palace is presented in the film.

I’m pleased with this being counter service. The food will be cheaper, we won’t need reservations, and access will be easier in general.

Yeah if they were going for the Tiana’s Palace from the film I think the only place that would have really worked size wise is Hungry Bear and I didn’t want that either. So quick service at French Market it is. Just hoping for the best at this point. I really love that whole area.

CaptinEO

It’s a hit now. Things have changed over time. It’s gotten way more popular since 2009.
I sadly never finished this one, once they turned into frogs I always lost interest. But I think Tiana as a character and her voice actress are great. I think the movie is a very "going through the motions" Disney movie, at least from the parts I've seen.

I should finish it one day though. Either way it's outright embarrassing it took until 2009 for Disney to have an African American lead in one of their animated films. That's just awful on so many levels considering how Disney animated films always seem to have fairy tales from different cultures.

I'm amazed we didn't get some 1960s African disney animated movie to be honest, Walt Disney seemed to always love showing different parts of the world.

_caleb

I sadly never finished this one, once they turned into frogs I always lost interest. But I think Tiana as a character and her voice actress are great. I think the movie is a very "going through the motions" Disney movie, at least from the parts I've seen.

I should finish it one day though. Either way it's outright embarrassing it took until 2009 for Disney to have an African American lead in one of their animated films. That's just awful on so many levels considering how Disney animated films always seem to have fairy tales from different cultures.

I'm amazed we didn't get some 1960s African disney animated movie to be honest, Walt Disney seemed to always love showing different parts of the world.
I think it's funny that you can spend literally hours on these boards interacting with dorks like us but you can't bring yourself to watch all 95 minutes of Princess and the Frog (which could be remedied by just letting it play in the background while you interact on these boards with dorks like us).

Californian Elitist

I’m not lol. Africa and African culture didn’t seem to be of great interest to Walt. If there was such a film, I bet it would have been filled with gross stereotypes and caricatures. Walt Disney may have been progressive in his time, but the depiction of black people in the Disney shorts/movies during his time were offensive.

CaptinEO

I’m not lol. Africa and African culture didn’t seem to be of great interest to Walt. If there was such a film, I bet it would have been filled with gross stereotypes and caricatures. Walt Disney may have been progressive in his time, but the depiction of black people in the Disney shorts/movies during his time were offensive.
You are definitely right about that. Regardless of intention I'm sure it wouldn't have been tasteful, especially by today's standards.

CaptinEO

I think it's funny that you can spend literally hours on these boards interacting with dorks like us but you can't bring yourself to watch all 95 minutes of Princess and the Frog (which could be remedied by just letting it play in the background while you interact on these boards with dorks like us).
I find discussing Disneyland more interesting than the film is.

It's not like I'n dying to finish it and can't find time. I've tried 4 times since it came out to finish the film and have lost interest each time. No big deal, not like it was some awful film, just doesn't hold my interest.

I'm glad girls of color have a princess to identify with and I think the Tiana character is great and charming, the movie to me though is just uninspired late Michael Eisner era (running through the motions) on full display.

Tiana should get a chance to be in a movie where she is not a Frog.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I haven’t finished Brave, and don’t feel bad about it. Not sure if I ever will.
Now that I think about it I stopped watching brave when the mom was transformed into a bear. Maybe I just don't like animal transformation movies?

I did like Brother Bear though so that may be the exception.

Californian Elitist

Now that I think about it I stopped watching brave when the mom was transformed into a bear. Maybe I just don't like animal transformation movies?

I did like Brother Bear though so that may be the exception.
That’s when I turned it off as well. Brave failed to pull me in in general. I was already barely paying attention. The bear transformation scene did it for me.

Phroobar

I liked the animation style they used for "Almost there" in the movie. The animal kiadoscope look for "Dig a Little Deeper" has been done before and is kind of expected by Disney. I wish the ride had a "Friends on the Other Side" sequence.

Otherwise it was a decent movie but not as good as Tangled or Frozen. Definitely better than Home on the Range.

_caleb

I find discussing Disneyland more interesting than the film is.

It's not like I'n dying to finish it and can't find time. I've tried 4 times since it came out to finish the film and have lost interest each time. No big deal, not like it was some awful film, just doesn't hold my interest.

I'm glad girls of color have a princess to identify with and I think the Tiana character is great and charming, the movie to me though is just uninspired late Michael Eisner era (running through the motions) on full display.

Tiana should get a chance to be in a movie where she is not a Frog.
Oh, I'm the same way. I was super excited for Ralph Breaks the Internet, but it put me to sleep in the first 20 minutes or so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom