News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

mickEblu

I’m sorry but cable Tv with about 70 channels with only 5 good ones was the pinnacle of home entertainment. If something good was on you watched it. No matter what point of the movie was playing.

Now I have 6 streaming services and Direct TV stream and don’t watch anything. On the rare occasion we do try to watch a movie I just scoll and a scroll and then give up. Too many options.

Phroobar

Not finishing movies is an unforeseen consequence of watching at home. I can think of precious few that I've walked out of in theaters, even real stinkers.
I've watched a lot of stinkers. I'm a big MST3K and RiffTrax fan and I really like my b-movies and weird subcategories. (PlutoTV) I find that if I'm in the movie theater, my son and I will naturally start riffing a bad movie. We try to stay away from others when we do that. We were watching Wakanda Forever at a drive in and had more fun doing that than paying attention to that horrid movie. I don't think we have ever walked out on one unless it became extremely violent or just a series of f-bombs.

Phroobar

During covid, we had a private screening of The Empire Strikes Back in a movie theater. We were all by ourselves with a couple of friends. We brought lightsabers and did up the movie Rocky Horror Picture Show-style. We totally riffed it and had a blast!

Californian Elitist

Not finishing movies is an unforeseen consequence of watching at home. I can think of precious few that I've walked out of in theaters, even real stinkers.
I remember waking up out of a deep sleep with a dry mouth after it having been wide open for who knows how long when I went to see the third Pirates film. To be fair, I went directly after a long day at school to see it.

_caleb

Willem Dafoe Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

smooch

That is still awful in sales. Movie bombed hard. And its toys collected dust.
Sorry to break it to you but I don't think someone on a Disney Parks fan forum complaining about Disney "going woke" (as if there hasn't been flamboyance / LGBTQ culture and other characteristics you consider "woke" in so many classic and beloved Disney movies for decades) has the best sense of what IP the kids through young adults enjoy. Those are big demographics Disney cares about making an impression on. You're trying to use technicalities to prove PatF "bombed" cause you're mad about Splash getting removed and it's embarrassing.

Do you truly believe a film can't lose money initially in the box office release and then over time in the years / decades following gain popularity and generate much more over time than they've ever spent? In business that's called an investment.

Doesn't matter anymore if Disney would've preferred to earn more with the box office release initially, the character Tiana has gotten incredibly popular among younger people over the years since release and has since become a huge money maker for Disney with the merch, new ride, new restaurant, new shop, and a new show for Disney+ coming out soon. I am fairly confident that I have a better finger on the pulse with what the younger generations enjoy or find relevant.

BrianLo

Princess And The Frog was certainly no mega-bomb for the history books like Strange World, but it certainly wasn't successful.

And I say this as someone who LOVED that showboat show they did in the summer of '09 on the Mark Twain for this movie, and wishes this restaurant makeover had been done in 2010 instead of 2023. But the box office results, adjusted for inflation for several point of reference films of the past 15 years, was nothing to brag about for Princess And The Frog.

View attachment 692618

While any normal Hollywood Studio I would concede the box office matters incredibly for, Disney is a different beast when it comes to its franchises that it likes. Which live on productively for decades and soon to be centuries beyond their mere film.

Even if you want to give Tiana 1% credit for the Disney Princess line, we're talking 50 billion in retail sales (the Wiki figure dates back to 2018). Also important to note Frozen is not part of the lineup. The box office figures are kind of immaterial to this franchise.

Parteecia

I've watched a lot of stinkers. I'm a big MST3K and RiffTrax fan and I really like my b-movies and weird subcategories. (PlutoTV) I find that if I'm in the movie theater, my son and I will naturally start riffing a bad movie. We try to stay away from others when we do that. We were watching Wakanda Forever at a drive in and had more fun doing that than paying attention to that horrid movie. I don't think we have ever walked out on one unless it became extremely violent or just a series of f-bombs.
When a friend and I went to see the first Matrix there was one other person in the theater. Shortly after the movie started my friend began talking loudly. I shushed her but she said the other person had left. It was the best MST3K situation ever. Not the same at home ...

ETA I saw all of Brave. Because I saw it in a theater.

Phroobar

Sorry to break it to you but I don't think someone on a Disney Parks fan forum complaining about Disney "going woke" (as if there hasn't been flamboyance / LGBTQ culture and other characteristics you consider "woke" in so many classic and beloved Disney movies for decades) has the best sense of what IP the kids through young adults enjoy. Those are big demographics Disney cares about making an impression on. You're trying to use technicalities to prove PatF "bombed" cause you're mad about Splash getting removed and it's embarrassing.

Do you truly believe a film can't lose money initially in the box office release and then over time in the years / decades following gain popularity and generate much more over time than they've ever spent? In business that's called an investment.

Doesn't matter anymore if Disney would've preferred to earn more with the box office release initially, the character Tiana has gotten incredibly popular among younger people over the years since release and has since become a huge money maker for Disney with the merch, new ride, new restaurant, new shop, and a new show for Disney+ coming out soon. I am fairly confident that I have a better finger on the pulse with what the younger generations enjoy or find relevant.
When did PATF become popular? It's better than anything released recently. Can you explain how it is popular now instead of 15 years ago? The movie was purposely made to replace Splash Mountain. Why do people care about it now outside of politics?

Brer Oswald

I find discussing Disneyland more interesting than the film is.

It's not like I'n dying to finish it and can't find time. I've tried 4 times since it came out to finish the film and have lost interest each time. No big deal, not like it was some awful film, just doesn't hold my interest.

I'm glad girls of color have a princess to identify with and I think the Tiana character is great and charming, the movie to me though is just uninspired late Michael Eisner era (running through the motions) on full display.

Tiana should get a chance to be in a movie where she is not a Frog.
They should also just create more black characters in general instead of relying on the same 3.

BrianLo

When did PATF become popular? It's better than anything released recently. Can you explain how it is popular now instead of 15 years ago?

She joined the princess lineup and more little kids have continued to grow up with her as part of it over the course of those 15 years. Never underestimate the "stuff" aspect of the Disney brand machine.

Heck if we're going to equate popularity to a movie's dry run box office, how the heck is Winnie the Pooh the highest grossing media franchise of all time?

Phroobar

She joined the princess lineup and more little kids have continued to grow up with her as part of it over the course of those 15 years. Never underestimate the "stuff" aspect of the Disney brand machine.

Heck if we're going to equate popularity to a movie's dry run box office, how the heck is Winnie the Pooh the highest grossing media franchise of all time?
The new mom market loves Winnie the Pooh. We went through that phase when we were having kids.

Phroobar

So she isn't really popular because of the movie but rather because she helps make the Princesses racially diverse.

iu

Californian Elitist

I never been compelled to even watch it. It’s the only Disney/Pixar film I haven’t (besides the ones that released last year).
It took me a minute to actually try and watch it. There really wasn’t any interest there.

I haven’t seen quite a few films. Off the top of my head, I can say that I’ve never seen Raya, Onward, The Good Dinosaur, Lightyear, Bolt, Cars 2 & 3, Frozen 2, and others.

mickEblu

It took me a minute to actually try and watch it. There really wasn’t any interest there.

I haven’t seen quite a few films. Off the top of my head, I can say that I’ve never seen Raya, Onward, The Good Dinosaur, Lightyear, Bolt, Cars 2 & 3, Frozen 2, and others.

The only ones that are worth your time from those is Onward and Cars 3 IMO. Good Dinosaur is ok. I don’t think it’s as bad as people make it out to be. I don’t remember much about Bolt. Cars 2 is a direct to DVD if there ever was one. Raya and Lightyear just didn’t grab my attention.

BrianLo

So she isn't really popular because of the movie but rather because she helps make the Princesses racially diverse.

That's being a little reductive. She is popular because of the Disney Princess lineup, yes. Her racial diversity certainly help her standout amongst the lineup in a positive way, but that's not THE reason she's popular. She's popular because Disney put her in their all important toy marketing machine and Disney is good at giving life to the characters they like far beyond the theatrical run.

It means kids who weren't alive and in the target demo to contribute to the box office still knows who she is today and will still know who she is 10 years from now. Some of them will even buy their kids stuff with her face plastered on it.

It's one of the companies greatest strengths. Keeping their IP relevant and evergreen. And yes that includes their gradual distancing from things they find inevitably problematic.

Californian Elitist

The only ones that are worth your time from those is Onward and Cars 3 IMO. Good Dinosaur is ok. I don’t think it’s as bad as people make it out to be. I don’t remember much about Bolt. Cars 2 is a direct to DVD if there ever was one. Raya and Lightyear just didn’t grab my attention.
The only one on that list that I actually want to watch is Onward. Not saying I won’t watch the others (some of the others), but I’m not necessarily interested. I’ll try and watch Onward this weekend or next weekend.

BrianLo

My dark spots are Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time, Make Mine Music (I think at least for these three but I guarantee I've seen clips or some of the shorts), Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons, Fantasia 2000, Winnie the Pooh 2011 and Strange World. 😂

I really should just go and watch some of them at some point, but it's almost a point of pride I just inadvertently skipped a lot of stinkers.

Californian Elitist

My dark spots are Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time, Make Mine Music (I think at least for these three but I guarantee I've seen clips or some of the shorts), Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons, Fantasia 2000, Winnie the Pooh 2011 and Strange World. 😂

I really should just go and watch some of them at some point, but it's almost a point of pride I just inadvertently skipped a lot of stinkers.
Oh yeah, for sure. The list just grows longer lol. I haven’t seen many of the really early ones either.

I haven’t seen Treasure Island or 20,000 leagues either. Maybe this will be a project starting this year: watch Disney movies I haven’t seen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom