Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Tha Realest

I agree that it’s not an insidious political plot. They based the attraction (presumably) on tying into the new Tiana D+ show. I think the story of the attraction is a little confusing and lacking that “special spice” if you will. Overall I think visually it’s pretty attractive.
This is hilarious, because I have serious doubts we’ll ever see this series.

wdwgreek

I think the Laughing Place/shrunken-down section is where the ride went off the rails. Instead of Mama Odie shrinking us to find smaller critters, I would have had Dr. Facillier on the screen be responsible for shrinking us. The Laughing Place segment could have been the friends on the other side trying to claim us. Mama Odie could still appear on the lift hill, but instead of merely unshrinking us she could have been used to defeat Facillier and/or the shadows.
Dr. Faciller kidnaps us and the band in an attempt to get redemption from his friends on the otherside but with the power of love and music we escape from his shadow layer through the final drop! Ugh how wonderful would that be? Are you ready playing on the final lift hill!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Probably also contractually prohibited from talking about it (non-disparagement clause in his contract, which is why you don’t hear too many interviews by Chapek spilling the beans)
Baxter has already said that he saw no reason for retheming Splash. A quote many around here love to keep quoting. So, if he has an NDA or non-disparagement clause, he already broke it.

JD80

My personal opinions:

I don't think people actually remember what was in Splash Mountain and their brains filled it with nostalgia. I personally think the ride visually looks 100x better than Splash.

I hate audio from any ride recording, never does any ride justice. So I can really comment on that, the frogs chirping to the music is a really cool touch though.

The story looks fine, no better or worse than some vague story about a rabbit running from a fox and getting homesick. At least this one doesn't have a character look they are being hung from a tree.

I say the "feel" of the lift seems the same. I mean you know it's coming regardless of the trappings of the area. In fact it's probably visual better now because it has an animatronic.

Only thing I thought didn't look right were a few of the screens with Mama Odie and Tiana peering in at you when you got shrunk. The lightning/coloring is too bright or off. However that may be because it's being filmed and not seen in person.

HonorableMention

I say the "feel" of the lift seems the same. I mean you know it's coming regardless of the trappings of the area. In fact it's probably visual better now because it has an animatronic.
My problem with the lift hill is that they left it virtually untouched besides the top, so all you’re seeing is that light and some rocks around you. This worked fine in Splash because you had tension from the music, vultures, etc.

Now maybe there were limitations working in that small space and they couldn’t do much, but imagine if they made it Mama Odie’s house from the movie and filled it with visual gags and had Mama Odie hyping up the drop and teasing you a bit more.

There are ways to make the lift hill less scary but more interesting.

kandyman

My personal opinions:

I don't think people actually remember what was in Splash Mountain and their brains filled it with nostalgia. I personally think the ride visually looks 100x better than Splash.

It does have flashy lighting and some AAs with more complex motion, I'll give you that, but let's take a look at another important aspect of what makes a show scene, SCENERY: The early show scenes and scene transitions in SM are filled with small details that help build the world. You see how the critters live, what they do, how they interact with each other. You get a detailed look at the world Brer Rabbit has grown tired of and wants to escape from. All of these spaces in TBA are replaced with... foliage with pretty lights.

I hate audio from any ride recording, never does any ride justice. So I can really comment on that, the frogs chirping to the music is a really cool touch though.

Regardless of the fidelity or levels of the audio in a video, these POVs give us a very good look at the contents of the audio and how it's used. Let's quickly compare how SM and TBA use their music and dialogue:

SM ties its music in with the story, you're getting an experience similar to a musical where the dialogue is woven into the song and the music serves to move the plot along. "How Do You Do" goes through multiple different versions, each in their own context that help build the world and then introduce you to Brer Rabbit and his feelings and goals, as well as the critters that live with him and their feelings as well. The "Laughing Place" song is a carefree romp, a false sense of safety that gets interrupted at the lift hill. The lift hill is menacing, the music is tense and you feel a sense of danger that is a great contrast to what came before. The dialogue is threatening, and hearing Brer Rabbit plea heightens that sense of danger, and then once we splash down we discover we were safe all along and it's a fun payoff. The finale scene with "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" gets intertwined with dialogue from Brer Rabbit that gives closure to his experience and character development.

In TBA, after a quick use of "Down in New Orleans" , the soundtrack to your introduction to the story is a confused use of "Almost There". You could argue it's being played because you're ALMOST TO THE PARTY, but that is not what the song is actually about. It was a song about working hard to achieve your dreams that served a very important role in the film, and in the ride's story Tiana has already achieved that dream. The song is used as background wallpaper music while characters awkwardly stand around waiting for you to get close so they can give you Disney Jr-esque dialogue, speaking to the boat as if it's full of children that fall below the height requirement for the ride. This lifeless and repetitive dialogue introduces the plot that we're headed to a party and need a band of musician critters, which we find in the very same scene. Problem solved, right? Oh wait, the real problem is that we have 8 more minutes of ride time to fill. In this scene we transition to a repeating chorus of "Goin' Down the Bayou" which is fitting enough, but serves no purpose other than to fill dead air between AA scenes while we watch figures bob side to side. We then get shrunk and are treated to "Dig a Little Deeper", another confused use of a song from the film. Dig a Little Deeper again had a unique purpose in the film's story and speaks to personal development, and here they're using it at its most surface level understanding because you have to... dig deeper to find more critters? We then get big again (because the bigger you are, the bigger the splash?) with no change in tension or any buildup whatsoever. I could see someone arguing that a lift hill itself is tense enough, but if that's the case, why bother theming the ride and having a story at all? After you splash down, there is no sense of reward because there was no danger or buildup to begin with, and we get more "Almost There" What happened to all those original songs that Disney was so excited about? The finale scene is also very confused, we get a song about how "the secret spice we needed was here all along". This ride's story was not about finding a secret spice, so why is the payoff discovering that we were this spice all along? And instead of a full circle closure for a character's experience, we get Odie repeating goodbye lines to boats passing by.

The story looks fine, no better or worse than some vague story about a rabbit running from a fox and getting homesick. At least this one doesn't have a character look they are being hung from a tree.

Even your oversimplified summary of SM's story has more going for it than the entirety of TBA.

I don't have the energy to circle back on that comparison. Do these posts have a character limit?

JD80

My problem with the lift hill is that they left it virtually untouched besides the top, so all you’re seeing is that light and some rocks around you. This worked fine in Splash because you had tension from the music, vultures, etc.

Now maybe there were limitations working in that small space and they couldn’t do much, but imagine if they made it Mama Odie’s house from the movie and filled it with visual gags and had Mama Odie hyping up the drop and teasing you a bit more.

There are ways to make the lift hill less scary but more interesting.

Just basing this off of the POV Disney released and my own experiences with Splash I completely disagree. I think the tension on the ride was from the anticipation of the drop the vultures added flavor for sure, but it wasn't some masterwork of tension like the Haunted Mansion stretch room or anything. It was pretty plain going up before, this one at least has to fun elements that distract you before you go over the edge.

999th Happy Haunt

My personal opinions:

Only thing I thought didn't look right were a few of the screens with Mama Odie and Tiana peering in at you when you got shrunk. The lightning/coloring is too bright or off. However that may be because it's being filmed and not seen in person.

There’s an entire industry based around “fake scaring people into thinking there is danger”. It’s called theme/amusement parks.

JD80

It does have flashy lighting and some AAs with more complex motion, I'll give you that, but let's take a look at another important aspect of what makes a show scene, SCENERY: The early show scenes and scene transitions in SM are filled with small details that help build the world. You see how the critters live, what they do, how they interact with each other. You get a detailed look at the world Brer Rabbit has grown tired of and wants to escape from. All of these spaces in TBA are replaced with... foliage with pretty lights.

Regardless of the fidelity or levels of the audio in a video, these POVs give us a very good look at the contents of the audio and how it's used. Let's quickly compare how SM and TBA use their music and dialogue:

SM ties its music in with the story, you're getting an experience similar to a musical where the dialogue is woven into the song and the music serves to move the plot along. "How Do You Do" goes through multiple different versions, each in their own context that help build the world and then introduce you to Brer Rabbit and his feelings and goals, as well as the critters that live with him and their feelings as well. The "Laughing Place" song is a carefree romp, a false sense of safety that gets interrupted at the lift hill. The lift hill is menacing, the music is tense and you feel a sense of danger that is a great contrast to what came before. The dialogue is threatening, and hearing Brer Rabbit plea heightens that sense of danger, and then once we splash down we discover we were safe all along and it's a fun payoff. The finale scene with "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" gets intertwined with dialogue from Brer Rabbit that gives closure to his experience and character development.

In TBA, after a quick use of "Down in New Orleans" , the soundtrack to your introduction to the story is a confused use of "Almost There". You could argue it's being played because you're ALMOST TO THE PARTY, but that is not what the song is actually about. It was a song about working hard to achieve your dreams that served a very important role in the film, and in the ride's story Tiana has already achieved that dream. The song is used as background wallpaper music while characters awkwardly stand around waiting for you to get close so they can give you Disney Jr-esque dialogue, speaking to the boat as if it's full of children that fall below the height requirement for the ride. This lifeless and repetitive dialogue introduces the plot that we're headed to a party and need a band of musician critters, which we find in the very same scene. Problem solved, right? Oh wait, the real problem is that we have 8 more minutes of ride time to fill. In this scene we transition to a repeating chorus of "Goin' Down the Bayou" which is fitting enough, but serves no purpose other than to fill dead air between AA scenes while we watch figures bob side to side. We then get shrunk and are treated to "Dig a Little Deeper", another confused use of a song from the film. Dig a Little Deeper again had a unique purpose in the film's story and speaks to personal development, and here they're using it at its most surface level understanding because you have to... dig deeper to find more critters? We then get big again (because the bigger you are, the bigger the splash?) with no change in tension or any buildup whatsoever. I could see someone arguing that a lift hill itself is tense enough, but if that's the case, why bother theming the ride and having a story at all? After you splash down, there is no sense of reward because there was no danger or buildup to begin with, and we get more "Almost There" What happened to all those original songs that Disney was so excited about? The finale scene is also very confused, we get a song about how "the secret spice we needed was here all along". This ride's story was not about finding a secret spice, so why is the payoff discovering that we were this spice all along? And instead of a full circle closure for a character's experience, we get Odie repeating goodbye lines to boats passing by.

Even your oversimplified summary of SM's story has more going for it than the entirety of TBA.

I don't have the energy to circle back on that comparison. Do these posts have a character limit?

Paragraphs my dude.

Again this is all my opinion and I stress that because a lot of people are speaking in absolutes here and leave no room for discussion at all.

To your first point about the scenes, I understand your sentiment and how you feel about how Splash was set up in your mind's eye, but I don't agree personally. There's a lot of emotion there but I never got a sense of "SM are filled with small details that help build the world. You see how the critters live, what they do, how they interact with each other. You get a detailed look at the world Brer Rabbit has grown tired of and wants to escape from."

I'm happy that your imagination filled all that in for you. I just personally disagree there is a drastic difference between both attractions. The rest of your post reads the same to me to be honest. I personally can't pretend that the story of Brer Rabbit is some classic piece of literature worth breaking down to such a fine point of detail.

Both attractions had/have a simple story.

mickEblu

My son yesterday after showing him the the POV and telling him it was Disney Worlds version and that they re still working on Disneyland:

“ In ours Tiana is going to be turned into a frog right? “

It’s another that gets downplayed. Kids love people transforming into animals or just transforming into things in general. It’s a big part of what they like about PatF. The execution in the scenes where they shrunk is down is pretty meh and does not compensate.

JD80

There’s an entire industry based around “fake scaring people into thinking there is danger”. It’s called theme/amusement parks.

Sure, but what's the point of pointing this out? A drop like this attraction can easily be wrapped around a sense of excitement or fear and have the same effect of thrills and adventure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom