Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

FiestaFunKid

Yeah, moral highground is not a thing you have after your last 2 posts here so you might wanna skip the condescending tone - I'm not "uncomfortable" with the you're trying to make, it's not just a good point and you're making it horribly.

They made the ride a sequel because they didn't want to make a ride where Tiana was a Frog for most of it. It's pretty simple.
I don’t want to see this thread de-evolve into debate about Splash Mountain. Many other threads have already went down that path. Splash is gone and that’s the reality. I personally loved splash.

This thread is for spoiler discussion about Tiana’s Bayou Adventure.
Agreed - not trying to 'save splash' - looking forward to enjoying Tiana's (even if discussion of its source material triggers some folks into insulting posts). Whatever the reason, big gamble to commission original music in a key finale scene, but maybe they somehow organically came to the conclusion that 'Down in New Orleans' wasn't a fit for a Mardi Gras party.

As far as the frog element, the ride through shows they dedicated a section to the riders getting shrunk to frog size, so they are including some of that in the new story. This could be an interesting addition if it works.

yensidtlaw1969

Agreed - not trying to 'save splash' - looking forward to enjoying Tiana's (even if discussion of its source material triggers some folks into insulting posts). Whatever the reason, big gamble to commission original music in a key finale scene, but maybe they somehow organically came to the conclusion that 'Down in New Orleans' wasn't a fit for a Mardi Gras party.

As far as the frog element, the ride through shows they dedicated a section to the riders getting shrunk to frog size, so they are including some of that in the new story. This could be an interesting addition if it works.
You're hardly one to speak about people being "triggered" into insulting posts when a simple and warranted correction caused you to erroneously call Princess and the Frog a "blackfaced" story . . . Time to take a step back, and maybe a deep breath while you're at it. You're out of pocket here.

FiestaFunKid

You're hardly one to speak about people being "triggered" into insulting posts when a simple and warranted correction caused you to erroneously call Princess and the Frog a "blackfaced" story . . . Time to take a step back, and maybe a deep breath while you're at it. You're out of pocket here.
Exactly - read it back to yourself and relax....move on and talk about the ride...while trying not think about the source material.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm surprised people are surprised by this - in the world of Tiana's Bayou Adventure she isn't a hand drawn character, she's a real, living, breathing person. Having her or others show up as a hand drawn animation in that world wouldn't make sense for what the ride is trying to achieve.

Even Little Mermaid used CGI animation for its video elements when the ride first opened. I don't think those were particularly successful, but I'm not sure the hand drawn replacements are actually any better - they clash stylistically with the fully 3D figures and environments within the ride. I get why they tried it, since that ride is more stylized and presentational than some others, but Tiana's isn't like that.
I have no problem with it..I had thought they were sticking to how the characters were animated in the first place as such like you mentioned about LM using CGI before they switched it to an animated look..

Comped

From the photos I've seen of much of the ride... I wonder how Disney spent a few hundred million on it. It looks different from Splash, obviously, but it's noticeable sometimes when you compare things side-by-side, more than you might think.

MagicHappens1971

From the photos I've seen of much of the ride... I wonder how Disney spent a few hundred million on it. It looks different from Splash, obviously, but it's noticeable sometimes when you compare things side-by-side, more than you might think.
We don’t really know how much Disney spent on the attraction. But R&D costs, including “research” trips are not cheap. The AA1000s are also not cheap and there are quite a few of them. Disney also has a knack for making anything cost way more than it needs to. They probably spent at most 150M on these refurb, which is still a lot, but this is Disney.

Comped

We don’t really know how much Disney spent on the attraction. But R&D costs, including “research” trips are not cheap. The AA1000s are also not cheap and there are quite a few of them. Disney also has a knack for making anything cost way more than it needs to. They probably spent at most 150M on these refurb, which is still a lot, but this is Disney.
I think it's closer to $200 million? Somewhere in the $100-200 million range I'd bet. Don't know where I remember hearing or reading that cost though.

SilentWindODoom

I'd guess either When We're Human (since we're seemingly transformed into critters), or a lengthy version of Dig a Little Deeper stretching to and up the final lift.

Honestly... I've kinda been wondering if it's possible that they give the song an additional meaning by singing it as we dig into the hidden crannies to find the frogs.

Whatever the reason, big gamble to commission original music in a key finale scene, but maybe they somehow organically came to the conclusion that 'Down in New Orleans' wasn't a fit for a Mardi Gras party.

To be fair, I think their home is outside of New Orleans in a more rural setting.

Wait... it plays at the start as we're heading off deeper into the bayou. Huh... Just realized that.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I'm sorry, the lyrics to this song leave a lot to be desired. Rhyming bayou with "by you" is essentially the same word. It almost sounds like something AI could write. I'm sure PJ Morton is a wonderful guy, but this misses the mark, especially given what it's replacing.
Honestly, it’s pretty catchy even with some weird lyrics. Nothing was ever going to measure up to Zip. The movie soundtrack is also sprinkled throughout the attraction. I think this turned out good, not perfect though.

SilentWindODoom

The biggest sin to me is the word "gumbo". It feels too on the nose. Calling it a boiling pot or being more subtle would work better. Instead it sounds like a buzzword used to clumsily tie into the source material.

For instance... compare these options when writing a song about the other princesses:

Saying "fork/dinglehopper" or referencing treasures from beyond for Ariel.
Saying "book" or mentioning pages and covers and stories for Belle.
Saying "reflection" or referencing not being able to recognize yourself for Mulan.

One sounds like pandering and the other sounds more poetic. You can say the same thing subtly without just saying "Gumbo" like Otis Lee Crenshaw's guitarist saying "Hole".

But, as I mentioned in the other thread, the tune's so good it covers over the corniness of the lyrics.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm sorry, the lyrics to this song leave a lot to be desired. Rhyming bayou with "by you" is essentially the same word. It almost sounds like something AI could write. I'm sure PJ Morton is a wonderful guy, but this misses the mark, especially given what it's replacing.

This could have worked better with a bunch of singing food IMO..
tumblr_ox59icN7Cz1wzypxlo2_500.gif

peng

I am liking what I am seeing so far, save for the CG in the finale.
I am still surprised with how animatronic heavy it seems to be, also the finale could have been done with screens only. But still, said finale has as much spectacle as the riverboat, good mix of animatronics, sets, projections and screen stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom