Thoughts on New Fantasyland

erasure fan1

Having now finally seen the new fantasy land I still can't really judge it until the mine train opens. What is done was nicely themed for the most part but overall it was a complete letdown for me. Mermaid is mediocre at best except for the outside theming. I guess I just dont get why they would have cut so many corners on this ride. The first thing my wife said to me when we got off the ride was "what the heck was that ending?" And she rarely has anything bad to say or notices those type of things. After seeing the whole land, the first thing that came to my mind was, I can't believe they are hyping this as much as they are. Sorry Disney, not your best effort so far, a lot of things look good but not a lot of substance beyond that.

Pixiedustmaker

I don't understand why TDO didn't cover up all of the ceiling beams and apparatus in that ride. How hard would that be? Those things just make the ride look cheesier and kill the suspension of disbelief. Lame!

DCA's Mermaid has the same problem. Easily visible beams holding up plastic fish, visible stuff everywhere.

Even though Mermaid is "just" a C or D ticket . . . doesn't excuse the poor show aspect of the ride, in my opinion, though to be fair Mermaid isn't a classic dark ride in that it doesn't rely on black lights, but is more like Small World. Though I think they could have done a much better job in the Under the Sea room, for example, and used green/blue lights in an ocean pattern and other tricks.

Wasn't even Small World an E Ticket at some time? A lot of former E Tickets, such as the train, couldn't be described as E Tickets today, not necessarily good when a ride starts off at C ticket level status.

Pixiedustmaker

It baffles me how sloppy they were in this regard too. It's almost as if the Imagineers thought they were designing a black-light dark ride, which would have hidden any backstage areas painted black.

They could have hidden the swirling plastic fish mobile bars by suspending the fish via strings or something, but you can clearly see a massive metal bar attached to half the fishes! Why the massive bar? Do the plastic fish weigh a ton? If not, the bar could have been so much thinner, and the fish could have been suspended on strings. Looks very crudely made.

Pixiedustmaker

I can't help but wish that instead of a belle meet and greet, we got a beauty and the beast dark ride. As disneyland's fantasyland can have all the classic walt dark ride attractions how cool would it have been if our fantasyland had focused on more the disney renaissance classics and modern soon to be classics? and have more than one new dark ride to boast about I think 3 new dark rides and the mine train would have done the trick.

I agree that MK's Fantasyland needs more dark rides.

Interestingly, it looks as though Belle's village is a setup for a Beauty and the Beast ride at some distant point in the future (or maybe it was dropped from the plans). The area north of Belle's village is an expansion pad, and a Beauty and the Beast dark ride could be put in there.

Beats me if it will ever happen.

Sped2424

I agree that MK's Fantasyland needs more dark rides.

Interestingly, it looks as though Belle's village is a setup for a Beauty and the Beast ride at some distant point in the future (or maybe it was dropped from the plans). The area north of Belle's village is an expansion pad, and a Beauty and the Beast dark ride could be put in there.

Beats me if it will ever happen.

They would have to re work that road there which drops off the cast members from the cast parking lot. and knowing how they don't like spending any money I doubt that will ever happen unless they get desperate.

MerMom1981

I recently visited WDW for the first time & New Fantasyland was at the top of my "must do" list. First I have to say that I am not an easy girl to please. I am a designer & believe it should be the goal of creative-minded people to aim high. Good enough is never enough. OK, that said, I could not have been more pleased. Even though the mine train wasn't open yet & walkways were a bit crowded, it was absolutely enchanting. With such rich details, they have brought to life places that were already real in our imaginations. THIS is what I dreamed it would be. It far surpassed the rest of Fantasyland, which is looking rather shabby by comparison.
However, I was not excited about Storybook Circus. Neither were my kids. The circus theme was not well established. Yes, there were red & white stripes on buildings, but it lacked atmosphere. It seemed like they didn't want to let go of Dumbo & this was their half-baked attempt to create new interest. I later learned that the original plans called for this area to be Pixie Hollow. What a missed opportunity! That would have made SO much more sense. They're cranking out those fairy movies & girls love them.. but then where are they?

Ignohippo

However, I was not excited about Storybook Circus. Neither were my kids. The circus theme was not well established. Yes, there were red & white stripes on buildings, but it lacked atmosphere. It seemed like they didn't want to let go of Dumbo & this was their half-baked attempt to create new interest. I later learned that the original plans called for this area to be Pixie Hollow. What a missed opportunity! That would have made SO much more sense. They're cranking out those fairy movies & girls love them.. but then where are they?

It's a circus without a circus.

Circusland is there (a) because they needed someplace for Dumbo to go. In the original plans, even with Pixie Hollow, Dumbo was still in aproximately the same area; (b) because Dumbo is a favorite of Lasseter; (c) because Staggs didn't want to lose the merchandise tent because it was the MK's #1 merchandise location. Ironically, it doesn't do a fraction of the sales it did before.

Pixie Hollow died when Staggs wanted to save the merch location and because the Fairies movies have been a complete letdown. They were originally meant to be theatrical releases, then got downgraded to DVD releases, then (due to lackluster DVD sales) became made for tv movies. They were a complete disappointment from a sales perspective.

It's too bad, too. Regardless of movie sales, Pixie Hollow would have been a fantastic addition to the MK.

StarWarsGirl

Toontown lacked atmosphere too. Admittedly, I've only been over there at night, and everything looks better at night. It makes sense, it's just a shame they didn't put into it what they put into, say, Disneyland's Toontown or Carsland (although I haven't seen it yet it looks amazing). They did this for the Beauty and the Beast area. I do feel Storybook Circus is better than what it was. And Dumbo needed to double. My parents are so mad that they didn't add the playground and the FPs when I was about 3.

Also, Pixie Hollow got scratched in part because they didn't want to make it all about girls. I heard from an Orlando Sentinal article that Disney got complaints that it was too girly. So came Storybook Circus. In all honesty, I'm not a fan of the fairies. Tink is not supposed to talk.

Prototype82

Worth the hype in my opinion. Every experience is charming and magical. Nothing beats walking into the French countryside on a foggy morning with that imposing castle in the distance, walking through that mirror, drinking at that tavern... Is it Forbidden Journey? No. But Disney has brought immersiveness to a whole new level with this one. And that rose...

herc

It's a circus without a circus.

Circusland is there (a) because they needed someplace for Dumbo to go. In the original plans, even with Pixie Hollow, Dumbo was still in aproximately the same area; (b) because Dumbo is a favorite of Lasseter; (c) because Staggs didn't want to lose the merchandise tent because it was the MK's #1 merchandise location. Ironically, it doesn't do a fraction of the sales it did before.

Pixie Hollow died when Staggs wanted to save the merch location and because the Fairies movies have been a complete letdown. They were originally meant to be theatrical releases, then got downgraded to DVD releases, then (due to lackluster DVD sales) became made for tv movies. They were a complete disappointment from a sales perspective.

It's too bad, too. Regardless of movie sales, Pixie Hollow would have been a fantastic addition to the MK.
I all honesty, the Fairies movies are fantastic. Seems that when they come out, they are no. 1 for two weeks in sales. A small area devoted to Pixie Hollow would have made total sense. With the original New Fantasyland, it was way too girl centric. Getting rid of Cinderella's Chateau and Aurora's Cottage would have done the trick. The Pixie Hollow area in Disneyland is fantastic. At night the trees shimmer and lights appear under the water. Although it is just a meet and greet in DL, the WDW version would have had more to it. Missed opportunity.

herc

Worth the hype in my opinion. Every experience is charming and magical. Nothing beats walking into the French countryside on a foggy morning with that imposing castle in the distance, walking through that mirror, drinking at that tavern... Is it Forbidden Journey? No. But Disney has brought immersiveness to a whole new level with this one. And that rose...

Rumor has it that DHS is replacing BATB show with a Rapunzel show. That may open up the possibility of some sort of BATB attraction in the new Fantasyland. I mean, meeting Belle is one thing and going through the magic mirror is awesome, but it is a glorified Meet and Greet. Bring on another dark ride or two. There is room back there. And boo hoo to TDO if they have to redo a road or two. This is all money in their pocket, especially with the raised entrance price for the MK.
Yes, the WDW resort is so much better than the Universal resort, but Universal is putting out the funds to legitimately compete for the almighty tourist dollar.

Bocabear

I all honesty, the Fairies movies are fantastic. Seems that when they come out, they are no. 1 for two weeks in sales. A small area devoted to Pixie Hollow would have made total sense. With the original New Fantasyland, it was way too girl centric. Getting rid of Cinderella's Chateau and Aurora's Cottage would have done the trick. The Pixie Hollow area in Disneyland is fantastic. At night the trees shimmer and lights appear under the water. Although it is just a meet and greet in DL, the WDW version would have had more to it. Missed opportunity.

The WDW version would have just been a larger meet and greet... Nothing more. I am glad that at least we got a Dumbo out of the deal VS just another meet and greet. There are too many as it is. How about some actual attractions? a Pixie Hollow dark ride might have caught my attention rather than just one more meet and greet...

DsnyFevr

What are your thoughts on New Fantasyland?

Does the expansion meet your expectations?
Are the attractions top notch Disney quality?
How is the theming and environment?

What are your thoughts on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Ride opening in 2014?

I personally think that the Fantasyland Expansion was very well done. The theming is out of this world when it comes to an immersive environment. All of the small details and realistic places make you feel like you have left reality, yet it seems so REAL. The Be Our Guest resturuant turned out great with many food choices along with astonishing fixtures and details. I believe the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will turn out well looking at pictures and construction videos, the only thing I worry about is the length of the attraction.

There are some things about the expansion that I do not like. The Little Mermaid, an amazing queue, not an amazing attraction. This is a direct copy of the DCA attraction that has nothing new or has any real depth. The attraction tries to pack a whole movie into an attraction about 4 minutes long. ( I know this is off topic, but what happened to Disney's 15 minute attractions, they immerse you more when they are longer)

The next problem IS the lack of attractions there is 2 new rides, one a C- Ticket, the other a D or E. In the Storybook Circus area there is nothing but 2 recycled attractions and a meet and greet. (water play area also)
Overall though I do not want you to think I have complained to much, I don't like to, I respect Disney and I think they are starting to get back into the game. But, there is still some things lacking from this expansion. Overall, still it was well done.

Please share your thoughts on New Fantasyland!
I agree it is well themed. I also don't think there are enough new attractions and not thrilled with Little Mermaid. I would ride it again if there was nothing else to do, but not a must do every trip. I love the new castle and the restaurant inside is beautiful and fun, but food quality is not what I expect from Disney. We always can't wait until our next trip to eat are favorites, not in this restaurant. You would think with dinner here it would be like eating in Cinderella Castle with the food quality. For the mine train, I am so excited as we watched a show on tv about how it's being made and how the swinging cars are a new technology and can't wait to ride it.

Ignohippo

Regardless of movie sales, Pixie Hollow was exactly the charm the FLE needed and would have been a great addition to the MK. The whole girl-centric attitude of the original FLE plans was so myopic when considering how much there is for boys in other areas of the park. And like you said, they had solved the problem with the SWMT.

Shere_Khan

I think I will wait for Seven Dwarves Mine Train to really have an opinion. When we were there in March the construction really took away from the full experience. I loved the surroundings I saw but couldn't help being annoyed by those walls!

That being said I also don't understand the castle walls. Thought they were sort of odd and not really necessary. Maybe this will change with the new ride?

I enjoyed BoG for lunch. Not sure I would waste a TS credit on it but definitely will return for lunch. We got in line about 10:30 almost all the way to Gaston's Tavern and we were seated and food on the table at 11:30. Definitely worth the wait. I wanted to take a million pictures of the outside details anyways so it gave me an excuse. I will make sure to get in line early again when we go back.

Unfortunately didn't get to experience Belle's Cottage. Was with my husband who doesn't really like WDW and puts up with it for me. The line was over an hour and I just couldn't do that to him. I usually go with my mom. Her and I will go to this when we go back with no dumb boys! :)

I liked LM but wasn't in awe of it or anything. It's very cute and I think little kids will be WOWed by it so I think Disney did their job.

Circus area was cute. I look forward to looking around more then I was able to. Made me wish my daughter was older then 1. I can see her going nuts there. We haven't taken her to WDW yet. Not for at least another year.

I thought a lot of it was really beautiful and I was pleased by most. I just was so looking forward to seeing Cinderella's chateau. It is my favorite house in any Disney film. But more Cinderella is probably not what they needed. Also Aurora is my favorite so I would have rather gotten something from her then Storytime with Belle. But overall it's very pleasing!

Soarin' Over Pgh

I think I will wait for Seven Dwarves Mine Train to really have an opinion. When we were there in March the construction really took away from the full experience. I loved the surroundings I saw but couldn't help being annoyed by those walls!

That being said I also don't understand the castle walls. Thought they were sort of odd and not really necessary. Maybe this will change with the new ride?

!

Agreed... and I'm hoping so. As pretty as they look, it just feels like a wall in a middle of an otherwise empty, wasted space. Maybe the new ride will tie it in and make it feel ... I dunno. Maybe it'll just tie it together, lol

The walls were very distracting and took away from the beauty of the area.

I didn't do the Belle's cottage thing because I didn't want to feel like a pervert. It seems like it's geared towards younger kids (I have none) and everyone in line appeared to have kids with them. So Mom and I skipped it.

To be honest, I really, REALLY liked... the sidewalks. The little details and patterns they imprinted into the pavement were nice touches, and really made them feel like it was a little village and not just a theme park area. With alot of construction walls.

Shere_Khan

Agreed... and I'm hoping so. As pretty as they look, it just feels like a wall in a middle of an otherwise empty, wasted space. Maybe the new ride will tie it in and make it feel ... I dunno. Maybe it'll just tie it together, lol

The walls were very distracting and took away from the beauty of the area.

I didn't do the Belle's cottage thing because I didn't want to feel like a pervert. It seems like it's geared towards younger kids (I have none) and everyone in line appeared to have kids with them. So Mom and I skipped it.

To be honest, I really, REALLY liked... the sidewalks. The little details and patterns they imprinted into the pavement were nice touches, and really made them feel like it was a little village and not just a theme park area. With alot of construction walls.

I'm sure once it's finished it will make more sense. Hopefully anyways...
It's just really hard to envision the finished product with all the walls up and construction going on. There is not doubt what is done is really beautiful.

You are right, the sidewalks were awesome!

Soarin' Over Pgh

I wish we had a clearer image of how the ride fits in. As much as I try to take the concept art, I just can't place it right and get it to line up to what's there, and the space that it is taking up.

Maybe they'll give us some new artwork at d23?

Dragonrider1227

could use more rides but I like it overall
It's one of the highest capacity rides in the park, and by any objective measure is not considered even a top 5 attraction in the park. This is coming from someone who's a fan of the ride. I don't understand how it can get 2 hour waits.

The same reason Peter Pan's flight does too

Nemo14

FYI, Tink has ALWAYS been able to talk!

Man, I REALLY hate it when people who call themselves Disney fans don't do their homework for things like this!

paranoid.gif
paranoid.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom