Thoughts on New Fantasyland

Californian Elitist

No typo, an "E Ticket" ride is described as: "the newest, most advanced, and/or most popular rides and attractions." Mermaid is the newest ride in MK right now and it was an extremely highly anticipated attraction. Not to mention it's from one of Disney's most successful, popular and beloved movies.

No, Mermaid is not an E-ticket. While it is more advanced than the Fantasyland dark rides, it's at most a D-ticket. An E-ticket would be something like Everest, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, etc. The movie itself has nothing to do with E-ticket classifications.

Magenta Panther

No, Mermaid is not an E-ticket. While it is more advanced than the Fantasyland dark rides, it's at most a D-ticket. An E-ticket would be something like Everest, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, etc. The movie itself has nothing to do with E-ticket classifications.

I don't understand why TDO didn't cover up all of the ceiling beams and apparatus in that ride. How hard would that be? Those things just make the ride look cheesier and kill the suspension of disbelief. Lame!

Soarin' Over Pgh

I don't understand why TDO didn't cover up all of the ceiling beams and apparatus in that ride. How hard would that be? Those things just make the ride look cheesier and kill the suspension of disbelief. Lame!

Right. Easily one of my biggest gripes about it (besides generally feeling 'matte' and see the floor the omnimovers are on... ) is that you can see the entire cieling in most scenes.. there are no attempts at hiding lighting, rigs, beams, etc.

Kinda sad really, to dump so much time money and effort, but not cover up the basics.

The Ursula is still the best part of the ride. Good job on that, Disney.

Sped2424

I think one of the worst cases of this is in the flotsam and jetsam section right before ursula if you look to you right which you can and will you see so much back stage near the top even different shades of paint, it just doesn't look disney quality there. I think they should enclose that part and many other parts as well. The under the sea room needs to be enclosed from the roof that is one of the bigger issues. and as for e ticket classification, it is not by what is the newest ride, or what technology is incorporated but the overall theming and experience the guests receive inside by todays standards. Having one piece of advanced animatronics an e ticket does not make. I consider space an e ticket, test track, everest, TOT, Rock N roller coaster, big thunder mountain splash mountain to name a few. However its not only roller coasters that are e tickets mind you there are dark rides that are e tickets, pirates, haunted mansion, mystic manor, spider man, transformers. which is why I believe so many were upset with mermaid, we all wanted an E and instead got a very cute D ticket as a franchise that helped rebuild disney animation it deserved better.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Mermaid is not an E ticket by today's standards. Back when the A through E tickets were used the E's were reserved for rides that had the biggest thrills, most innovation (like AAs) or most expensive. Remember that Small World and Country Bears were E tickets at WDW when MK opened. Mermaid fits neither of the first 2 requirements. Cost is debatable. Based on historic rides that existed when the ticket system did it was pretty expensive (even when adjusting their cost to 2012 dollars), but in today's world not an expensive ride like RSR or Everest which are both E tickets.

It's my opinion that if the ticket system was still in effect today WDW may try to charge an E ticket for this ride at least while its brand new and the only new ride in FLE. They would probably drop it down to D once Mine Train opens. Mine Train would definitely open as an E ticket. This is TDO we are talking about. No way they would introduce Mermaid as a C ticket and Mine Train as a D and miss out on profits;).

magicallactose

It baffles me how sloppy they were in this regard too. It's almost as if the Imagineers thought they were designing a black-light dark ride, which would have hidden any backstage areas painted black.

mm52200

Like everyone else has been saying, it's the fact they didn't take the simple time and effort to cover up things like they do in every other attraction. The worst example is the Under the Sea room and the room with Flotsam and Jetsam.

jt04

Actually it is subjective and to those of a certain age I am certain LM is considered an E ticket. So that makes it an E ticket. For you or Lee it isn't.

Skip

Actually it is subjective and to those of a certain age I am certain LM is considered an E ticket. So that makes it an E ticket. For you or Lee it isn't.

Nooooooope that's not how that works... An E-Ticket is an E-Ticket, an attraction that is both massive in scale and high in demand. Little Mermaid falls squarely into the D-ticket category (bigger than the Fantasyland dark rides, not as grand as the Haunted Mansion or Pirates).

If I consider the Magic Carpets to be the best ride ever, does that make it an E-Ticket?

jt04

I don't think I'm too fond of your sarcasm, jt.

Heh. :p

But if they did go back to individual tickets I would not be the least surprised if LM was rated an 'E'. That would never happen with the carpets or anything similar. So I win.

Skibum1970

Late to the show as usual. I love the immersiveness and "forest" feel, along with actual waterways and waterfalls. The Tangled bathroom area falls into this as well. I just got back from DL and loved the small creek by Winnie the Pooh and the water features around the park. Adds life and the pleasant sound of running water. I didn't care for DCA's LM but that was because there was no themed exterior. FLE's LM, while no Haunted Mansion, is a fun ride with a nice queue. Portions of the ride could be better but it is still fun. I believe that the SDMT will be the anchor for the whole area. Once completed, it will tie it all together.

Could it be better? Yes. I think another dark ride as good as, if not better than, LM would have been a better addition than the restaurant. Truly adding capacity while fitting into the area. A trackless dark ride like, oh, say, Mystic Manor, would have been enjoyed. Yeah, I know. I'm just dreaming here but it still would have been awesome.

I disagree with a poster on the first page who said that the Disney meet-n-greets are enjoyed by all and thus the original plans would have worked. Imagine if all they had was a series of meet-n-greets. That would have been a waste.

RSoxNo1

The Little Mermaid had a 120 minute wait today... I like the ride, but I just don't get that.

Are they messing with the Fastpass distribution for that?

phi2134

It's one of the highest capacity rides in the park, and by any objective measure is not considered even a top 5 attraction in the park. This is coming from someone who's a fan of the ride. I don't understand how it can get 2 hour waits.
Because most people at the magic kingdom have probably ridden every other ride numerous times over the past 15 years and finally got excited for something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom