Thor to Norway?

WDWmazprty

picture.php

:eek::D:lookaroun

Fable McCloud

I think if the parks integrate Marvel in a tactful way, I wouldn't be terribly upset. Truthfully, the Marvel guys should merit their own park, not part of WDW, but maybe a separate Disney-owned park.

Thrill Seeker

Personally I'd be happy if Thor (either the Norse god or the Marvel hero) made it into the Norway Pavilion. At least there would be something there besides just Maelstrom to do.

GLaDOS

Why don't you try Six Flags, they have superheros in their park.

So does Universal, and it's one of the greatest dark rides of all time.

That being said, Thor doesn't belong anywhere near WS, but all the hate for Marvel going anywhere in WDW is pretty ludicrous. Did the same stuff happen when Pixar started in the parks.:shrug:

Thrill Seeker

So does Universal, and it's one of the greatest dark rides of all time.

That being said, Thor doesn't belong anywhere near WS, but all the hate for Marvel going anywhere in WDW is pretty ludicrous. Did the same stuff happen when Pixar started in the parks.:shrug:

Why not? I agree that having Marvel take over the World Showcase is a bit much, but having a few meet and greets within certain hero's respective countries doesn't seem too out of place.

Personally unless Food & Wine or some event is going on, I usually don't go deeper into the World Showcase than Norway to do the attractions. The rest is pretty boring. Sometimes I go to Germany to get a beer, but that's about it. Marvel meet and greets would give kids more of a reason to go to World Showcase as well.

GLaDOS

Why not? I agree that having Marvel take over the World Showcase is a bit much, but having a few meet and greets within certain hero's respective countries doesn't seem too out of place.

Personally unless Food & Wine or some event is going on, I usually don't go deeper into the World Showcase than Norway to do the attractions. The rest is pretty boring. Sometimes I go to Germany to get a beer, but that's about it. Marvel meet and greets would give kids more of a reason to go to World Showcase as well.

Nah. WS is about the country's culture. Marvel doesn't belong in there. At least the Disney characters they have in there are from stories from the countries(except Donald and Aladdin, but that's a completely different hornet's nest).

MKCP 1985

Wonder when/if we will see the Son of Odin make an Epcot debut. Has he already? I am truly still shocked by the lack of Norse mythology currently at the attraction as it is.

Cool idea! With Disney owning Marvel, this makes as much sense as Pooh and friends at England or Belle and Beast outside France.

I like it equally because it seems to annoy the Epcot fanboys. :drevil:

Here, let me fix that for you.
thor.jpg

That's better! :lol:

Magenta Panther

It would be even worse if they pandered to the masses by looking outside the company for attraction inspiration.

Like space fantasy franchises. Or children's stories written to benefit an orphanage. Or fronting some money to a company that produces films about toys that have been in the marketplace for decades and rebrand the film as their own because of having distribution rights.

Let's not fool ourselvses. Disney stole plenty of public domain ideas and created entire franchises out of them. You know that fairy that buzzes around before every Disney film - NOT REALLY DISNEY!!! Yeah, the one that is like the 3rd or 4th best known logo for the company is stealing money from orphans.

Be sure to do a little research before damning the Marvel franchises. At least they were properties that were paid for and not strongarmed away like Pixar or straight up thieved like Tinker Bell.

Oh, here we go again. Thank you, but as it happens, I'm aware of the history of Disney "stealing" (?) public domain ideas, CREATING ITS OWN VERSION OF THEM, and delighting generations of kids and grownups with the results. Not to mention that, through such "theft", it employed thousands of artists, artisans, writers, lyricists, and everyday Joes and Janes who have families to support. Mean ol' Disney. :rolleyes: For the record, when Disney takes the Marvel heroes and creates a Disney version of them, then their inclusion in the parks will be a-okay with me. Until that happens, they're a foreign element in my opinion.

Oh, and speaking of research - from Wikipedia: Walt Disney had been trying to buy the film rights to Barrie's play since 1935. He finally received them four years later, after he came to an arrangement with Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, to whom Barrie had bequeathed the rights to the play.

So, tell me, since Disney bought the rights, where exactly does "theft" come into Disney's usage of Tinker Bell?

timeman

I would love to see Thor and Odin and all the other Norse mythology represented in Norway. Marvel is not the only comic company that has or has had a Thor character in their books. I know that DC Comics has used Thor before and so have some Independent companies. I wouldn't want to see Marvel's Thor in Norway, but one based on actual Norse Mythology would be great.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Cool idea! With Disney owning Marvel, this makes as much sense as Pooh and friends at England or Belle and Beast outside France.

I like it equally because it seems to annoy the Epcot fanboys. :drevil:

Here, let me fix that for you.
thor.jpg

That's better! :lol:
I have no problem with Marvel characters in the parks. I just hate to see them shoehorned into places. If they want to do Odin and Thor in Norway that is fine by me....I just don't want to see the Marvel interpretations there.

duffthor

Thor

Thor the ME belongs in Epcot all the time!!!! (yes..it's my real name):ROFLOL:

and the Donald Duck Thor is quite possibly the coolest thing ever!

Phonedave

I have no problem with Marvel characters in the parks. I just hate to see them shoehorned into places. If they want to do Odin and Thor in Norway that is fine by me....I just don't want to see the Marvel interpretations there.

I am of the same opinion.

I would not throw the Silver Samarai in Japan nor the Union Jack in the IJK either.

For the most part, the characters that are currently in WS don't bother me. they are representation of works that are based in that country, and for the most part are not 'cartoony'. Pooh in UK is one exception, but then the classic work it is based on is a cartoon. Along the same lines, if Disney had the rights to Asterix, then having him in France would be OK.

The three Cabaleros is Mexico still irks me.

-dave

MKCP 1985

If there is no problem with Marvel characters in the parks, how can there be a problem with a Marvel character or Marvel interpretation of a character in Norway in Epcot ? There is plenty of room in Norway's dedicated space to host a meet and greet with Thor in such a place that if you don't want to see it, you wouldn't even know it is there.

I am of the same opinion.

I would not throw the Silver Samarai in Japan nor the Union Jack in the IJK either.

For the most part, the characters that are currently in WS don't bother me. they are representation of works that are based in that country, and for the most part are not 'cartoony'. Pooh in UK is one exception, but then the classic work it is based on is a cartoon. Along the same lines, if Disney had the rights to Asterix, then having him in France would be OK.

The three Cabaleros is Mexico still irks me.

-dave

What I read here is that you would rather there not be characters but you are open to having them as long as they are characters you approve and not too cartoony, but Disney Parks are all about cartoony characters. They tried Epcot Center with few cartoony characters for about a decade and people wanted more.

The only thing that irks me about the 3 Caballeros in Mexico is that Jose and Panchito don't often do the meet and greets along with Donald.

Oh well, if MarvelThor comes to Norway, you two can break out the paddle (or hammer) for Jimbo, not me. :lol:

rkelly42

I have no problem with Marvel or any of the characters, I used to read comics and grew up with the marvel characters. Though my problem is, is that I like WS as a culture stop, I do no wish to stop by the American Pavillion and see Captain America standing out front. I would rather see the fife and drum players out there. Nor do I wish to see spiderman walking around the WS with the hobgoblin in tow. That is just my personal opinion and I understand others would enjoy having this, but to each his own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom