Thor to Norway?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If there is no problem with Marvel characters in the parks, how can there be a problem with a Marvel character or Marvel interpretation of a character in Norway in Epcot ? There is plenty of room in Norway's dedicated space to host a meet and greet with Thor in such a place that if you don't want to see it, you wouldn't even know it is there.
Like I said before...it just seems forced. If they want to re-theme an attraction, like UoE for example, and have it go with some sort of Marvel theme I could possibly get behind that but to take a super hero adaptation of a piece of a country's mythology/religion is just IMHO in bad taste. It would be akin to incorporating the Super Friends into WS if Disney purchased the rights to South Park.

south_park_504_super_best_friends_muhammad.png

MKCP 1985

I hear you, Richard - and seeing the Beast out in the France pavilion seems forced to me ( :shrug: ) but people seem to love those meet and greets.

Thor and Norway at Epcot makes sense to me if Disney wants to try and get some value out of its Marvel properties in its parks. I'd rather see Marvel Thor there than the troll overdose currently going on.

Universal has its Marvel Island, so that would seem to limit Disney's ability to go all out in using these characters in the parks.

I don't know how they can best do it without offending people who view Epcot with a particular vision. . . the 1982 crowd, if you will.

There has to be a way to be true to the vision and still allow people to have more fun with their kids.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I hear you, Richard - and seeing the Beast out in the France pavilion seems forced to me ( :shrug: ) but people seem to love those meet and greets.

Thor and Norway at Epcot makes sense to me if Disney wants to try and get some value out of its Marvel properties in its parks. I'd rather see Marvel Thor there than the troll overdose currently going on.

Universal has its Marvel Island, so that would seem to limit Disney's ability to go all out in using these characters in the parks.

I don't know how they can best do it without offending people who view Epcot with a particular vision. . . the 1982 crowd, if you will.

There has to be a way to be true to the vision and still allow people to have more fun with their kids.
I don't consider myself a purist by any stretch. I would say that I tolerate the characters in WS because like you said they are very popular, they at least kept the right characters in the right countries, and they are not all that obtrusive. I just feel Thor would take it a little over the top, but in the end if he shows up in Norway I will just look the other way providing that he does not hinder my path to the school bread.:D

mickey2008.1

There's already a park for marvel characters,and it's called Universal Studios. Kepp them there and keep the money here, although its all going to california. Darn west coasters get everything.:brick:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
:eek: :lookaroun :lol:

At least they didn't replace it with something MUCH worse!
Quite true. I has seen some pretty bad ones. You would think that if a web site was so adamant about not sharing images they would keep them from showing up on a google image search.

Bairstow

Like I said before...it just seems forced. If they want to re-theme an attraction, like UoE for example, and have it go with some sort of Marvel theme I could possibly get behind that but to take a super hero adaptation of a piece of a country's mythology/religion is just IMHO in bad taste. It would be akin to incorporating the Super Friends into WS if Disney purchased the rights to South Park.

southpark504superbestfr.png

You mean Super Best Friends.
The Super Friends are at Six Flags.

Magenta Panther

I have no problem with Marvel characters in the parks. I just hate to see them shoehorned into places. If they want to do Odin and Thor in Norway that is fine by me....I just don't want to see the Marvel interpretations there.

The Odin face in the Maelstrom ride is fantastic. Did Disney create that? Or were Norwegian artisans involved?

As for me, a Marvel ride in DHS wouldn't bug me too much I guess, since Star Wars and Indiana Jones are already there. It helps to think of those attractions as "guest stars" in a Disney production. But having Marvel characters show up just anywhere in the parks, like Mickey and Donald, would be kinda obnoxious IMO.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
The Odin face in the Maelstrom ride is fantastic. Did Disney create that? Or were Norwegian artisans involved?

As for me, a Marvel ride in DHS wouldn't bug me too much I guess, since Star Wars and Indiana Jones are already there. It helps to think of those attractions as "guest stars" in a Disney production. But having Marvel characters show up just anywhere in the parks, like Mickey and Donald, would be kinda obnoxious IMO.

In no way did I actually mean MARVEL THOR in this thread, but beefing up ACTUAL mythology just in time for the Thor film release would make perfect sense. It is kinda like the piggybacking that everything in the world is doing with HP/Twilight with their magic and blood s__________g. Show the historical alternative and you could actually keep what somebody called "The 1982 Crowd" happy while still promoting an internal product. I know Disney is smart enough to pull off something like this.

Bairstow

In no way did I actually mean MARVEL THOR in this thread, but beefing up ACTUAL mythology just in time for the Thor film release would make perfect sense. It is kinda like the piggybacking that everything in the world is doing with HP/Twilight with their magic and blood s__________g. Show the historical alternative and you could actually keep what somebody called "The 1982 Crowd" happy while still promoting an internal product. I know Disney is smart enough to pull off something like this.

It sounds like a cool idea, probably even a good one, but it's the opposite of how Disney always operates. Synergy demands that the public perception of whatever property or product you're pushing resemble exactly your copyrighted version of it.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
It sounds like a cool idea, probably even a good one, but it's the opposite of how Disney always operates. Synergy demands that the public perception of whatever property or product you're pushing resemble exactly your copyrighted version of it.

And that is the problem with the Disney model on many levels. Instead of letting the market decide the direction of the branches of the company, Dis is too busy telling the market what they are supposed to like.

This is evident in many of the decisions in the park that cause the most conflict on these boards.

Guests decided that a filler ride in Buzz would be a spotlight attractions. It is the same reason why a potentially solid character in Stitch became oversaturated to the point of being an anger rally character.

MKCP 1985

You lost me, Jimbo.

Let's use Robin Hood as an example. Robin Hood may conjure up different images to people in different areas of the world, but his legend is rooted in England. If Robin Hood was to start making appearances in the British pavilion at Epcot, I would be disappointed if he wasn't the Disney cartoon version, and I am willing to bet most people would feel the same way.

There would be some people who wouldn't want Robin Hood to appear at all because their vision of Epcot is of science and culture, free of Disney/Pixar characters. :shrug:

Very few people would say, "Give us the non-branded version."

I'd apply that same thought process to Marvel Thor. Disney has purchased the brand and has paid a lot of money for it. Many young boys would enjoy Epcot more generally and Norway specifically if they could meet their comic book hero there. :king:

And Norway's pavilion has been around for how many years now? More than 10, certainly. There was never any big hue and cry for Thor before Disney acquired rights from Marvel, so why now, unless we are talking the Marvel character?

Bairstow

The difference, I suppose, would be that Disney doesn't have a Robin Hood movie coming out. If right now you generate public interest in the idea of Robin Hood generally, there isn't going to be a corroborating message in the popular ad-space of our culture to make you want to go hunting for the Robin Hood DVD at Best Buy.

If, on the other hand, you generate interest in Norse Polytheism generally and people can't turn around without seeing "Thor" advertisements on every bus, then the connection could result in increased ad revenue.

It's like when "300" came out and all of a sudden you had lots of documentaries on Spartans on the History Channel with trailers for "300" during the commercials.

Thrill Seeker

You lost me, Jimbo.

Let's use Robin Hood as an example. Robin Hood may conjure up different images to people in different areas of the world, but his legend is rooted in England. If Robin Hood was to start making appearances in the British pavilion at Epcot, I would be disappointed if he wasn't the Disney cartoon version, and I am willing to bet most people would feel the same way.

There would be some people who wouldn't want Robin Hood to appear at all because their vision of Epcot is of science and culture, free of Disney/Pixar characters. :shrug:

Very few people would say, "Give us the non-branded version."

I'd apply that same thought process to Marvel Thor. Disney has purchased the brand and has paid a lot of money for it. Many young boys would enjoy Epcot more generally and Norway specifically if they could meet their comic book hero there. :king:

And Norway's pavilion has been around for how many years now? More than 10, certainly. There was never any big hue and cry for Thor before Disney acquired rights from Marvel, so why now, unless we are talking the Marvel character?

Well said.

StageFrenzy

I think a Stark Enterprises sponsored pavilion in future world could work very well. They could show some of their inventions and visions of the future. That and have a sweet iron man attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom